Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Astros Get Wolf

Astros Get Wolf

The Astros just traded a minor league pitcher for Randy Wolf. Somebody tell me when the Astros became buyers in this years market?
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros Get Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    The Astros just traded a minor league pitcher for Randy Wolf. Somebody tell me when the Astros became buyers in this years market?
    I suspected when I first saw this that perhaps there was an option for 2009 on his contract, making this move a little less surprising. However, there's no option meaning the Astros either think they can make a run or they've got something else up their sleeves.

Old Red Guard Reject

Randy Wolf lhp
    1 year/$4.75M (2008)

signed as a free agent 12/10/07
    performance bonuses:
    $0.175M each for starts 11-30
    $0.25M for 190 IP, $0.5M for 200 IP

No option.....wierd?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Why was this such news? Wolf is an ok starter, but the Stros are terrible. Not like this was a splash....
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Why was this such news? Wolf is an ok starter, but the Stros are terrible. Not like this was a splash....
    It's surprising when the team in question is battling the Pirates and of course our Reds to stay out of last place in the NL Central. Then you add to it the fact that you have the Cubs, Brewers, and Cardinals all in the same division and those clubs have been 3 of the top (if not the top 3) teams in the whole National League, and you really have to wonder what the Astros are thinking. They probably didn't give up a whole heck of a lot, so it might be a "why not" type of move, but it seems to me more "why now" then "why not".

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Does this make the Astros the favorite to carry 4th place? STAY TUNED. lol!

Yeah the Astros traded Chad Reinke , their #9 best prospect according to Baseball America for Randy Wolf which is just dumbfounding. Even crazier when you put in Reds terms. This is like trading our #9 prospect, Josh Roenicke for a washed up old hag in a season thats even more hopeless than the Reds. Do not get this move at alllll. When will teams begin to value their prospects? If the Reds trade any of thier top 10 guys this season for a rental deal without a option for next year I would flip. Looking at the disaster that is the Astros makes me feel better about myself.

Guys... keep in mind being the #9 prospect in the Astros system isnt the same as say the D-Rays or Reds , or basically any team. The Astros gave up a nobody to get Wolf. They made this move because they #1 wanted him and think they can sign him in the off season or #2 if they dont sign him they get a draft pick for him. This move almost has no way of hurting the team. It was a smart move.

Wolf is better than most of what we have pitching now so it isnt a bad move at all.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobuddy View Post
    They made this move because they #1 wanted him and think they can sign him in the off season or #2 if they dont sign him they get a draft pick for him. This move almost has no way of hurting the team. It was a smart move.

Wolf is better than most of what we have pitching now so it isnt a bad move at all.
    If #1 is the case why wouldnt they just wait until the offseason to sign him considering this season is already hopeless? That way you keep one of your best prospects and still get Wolf when it counts.. even if your farm system is weak. If #2 is the case.. do they think a comp pick will automatically develop into better than the 9th best prospect in their organization? Their farm system must be really depleted if so.

Understand me... they gave up NOTHING. Chad Rieneke wasnt going anywhere with the Astros. Reineke is 26 years old and has a 5 ERA in AAA.

Yes... the Astros Farm system is THAT bad.

Its a no lose for the Astros.
    Last edited by Astrobuddy; 07-24-2008 at 05:28 PM.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Turn Off Ads?