Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How West Virginia Views America

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How West Virginia Views America

Sad thing is, to be funny there has to be an element of truth to it.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_xYyjL2g12G0/...es_America.jpg

I would post the picture but it is a little too big.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Senor Votto

Re: How West Virginia Views America

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Sad thing is, to be funny there has to be an element of truth to it.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_xYyjL2g12G0/...es_America.jpg

I would post the picture but it is a little too big.
    I work with a guy who calls Washington Warshington. That's one of my pet peeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I work with a guy who calls Washington Warshington. That's one of my pet peeves.
    That's how my family pronounces it as well... along with zink for sink, and vehitcle for vehicle.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    That's how my family pronounces it as well... along with zink for sink, and vehitcle for vehicle.
    I'm originally from Kentucky, where Tim Wilson makes fun of people for calling a tower a "tire" and a tire a "tar".
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm originally from Kentucky, where Tim Wilson makes fun of people for calling a tower a "tire" and a tire a "tar".
    or a creek a "crick"...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

or a creek a "crick"...
    I've always called it a crick.... and I'm not from WV.

A "creek" is what you have in a door hinge that needs oiled.

I also "worsh" my clothes.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Oddly, I'm pretty sure Wilson now makes his home in Louisville when he's not on the road.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

They don't call it Hamiltucky for nothing.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I once asked a West-Virginian who they make fun of....he thought about it, and said, "poorer West-Virginians". Good stuff.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I once asked a West-Virginian who they make fun of....he thought about it, and said, "poorer West-Virginians". Good stuff.
    Funny map, with some truth to it.
    I live in Wayne County, West Virginia. I have noticed that some people in the northern part of the county, which is more populous and prosperous, sometimes make fun of those from the southern part of the county. Some people in adjacent Cabell County, where Huntington and Marshall University are, sometimes make fun of all of Wayne County. People in Charleston, the state capitol which is located in Kanawha County, sometimes act superior to the rest of the state. Meanwhile, some people outside of West Virginia make fun of all West Virginians.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I live in Wayne County, West Virginia. I have noticed that some people in the northern part of the county, which is more populous and prosperous, sometimes make fun of those from the southern part of the county. Some people in adjacent Cabell County, where Huntington and Marshall University are, sometimes make fun of all of Wayne County. People in Charleston, the state capitol which is located in Kanawha County, sometimes act superior to the rest of the state. Meanwhile, some people outside of West Virginia make fun of all West Virginians.
    From a country boy from Cabell County, I've always liked it "out Wayne." Of course, where I'm from in Cabell County, they make fun of us too!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    From a country boy from Cabell County, I've always liked it "out Wayne." Of course, where I'm from in Cabell County, they make fun of us too!
    A guy I used to work with who was from Huntington said that Wayne and Lincoln County natives were the only people he'd ever met who, when asked where they lived, gave you the county instead of the town.

I tried to tell him that I didn't actually live in a town, but I don't think he ever got it.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    A guy I used to work with who was from Huntington said that Wayne and Lincoln County natives were the only people he'd ever met who, when asked where they lived, gave you the county instead of the town.

I tried to tell him that I didn't actually live in a town, but I don't think he ever got it.
    I'm from Adams County just 60 or so miles east of Cincinnati. When we are in Cincinnati and someone asks where we are from we say Adams County. Not because thats what we think, but because nobody knows where Winchester, Seaman, Cherry Fork and so forth are. Some people do know where Peebles is for some reason. When I tell someone I'm from Winchester, they say "Kentucky?" or "Canal Winchester?" When my buddy tells people he is from Seaman they always think he is being clever. Never call somebody who isn't from around Adams County if you are just sitting somewhere in the town of Seaman and calling them. Saying "I'm just sitting here in Seaman" doesn't always sound right to them.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post

Alot of Kentucky works that way too.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I likely shouldn't tell this story, but when I worked for a national charitable organization I attended a regional meeting of some sort at a resort. I introduced myself to a group from Virginia, and one of them, hearing only that I worked out of the Charleston office, said, "Don't worry about him being from West Virginia. He's from Charleston, where I used to live, and it's not like the rest of the state."

True story.

All of us think we're a little better than the other guy, I guess.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?