Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Cincinnati...but Louisville?

Not Cincinnati...but Louisville?

Well, a few months back some of you might recall that the wife had given her blessing to trying to find suitable employment in Cincinnati so we could move there.

Funny thing happened on the way to season tickets....I got fired from my job.

Now some might consider this a blank check to go where we wanted, but it actually only opened a window for us but also forced us to look in the general region as opposed to just Cincinnati.

Long story short, we are moving to Louisville, KY instead.

We are both really excited. I've gotten a job as the guy who is responsible for what the inside of your friendly local neighborhood Kroger looks like [at least the 168 of them in the Mid South division], and the wife is going to work for the city.

Aside from being fired, things couldn't have matched up much better. My job, her job, Kroger is paying for the move and helping us sell the house we own now. We found a new house already and closed on it this afternoon. The parents all like Louisville better because its closer to 'home'.

The only one not happy is the cat, she doesn't like change. She'll get over it.

Anyway, I'll be moving starting tomorrow. Try not to let the Reds make any exciting moves I'd want to discuss until I get back.

And if anyone has any good tips on life in Louisville, let me know.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Not Cincinnati...but Louisville?

The ushers at "Slugger Field" were beyond doubt the rudest I have ever encountered in all the years I have been going to baseball games.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Well, a few months back some of you might recall that the wife had given her blessing to trying to find suitable employment in Cincinnati so we could move there.

Funny thing happened on the way to season tickets....I got fired from my job.

Now some might consider this a blank check to go where we wanted, but it actually only opened a window for us but also forced us to look in the general region as opposed to just Cincinnati.

Long story short, we are moving to Louisville, KY instead.

We are both really excited. I've gotten a job as the guy who is responsible for what the inside of your friendly local neighborhood Kroger looks like [at least the 168 of them in the Mid South division], and the wife is going to work for the city.

Aside from being fired, things couldn't have matched up much better. My job, her job, Kroger is paying for the move and helping us sell the house we own now. We found a new house already and closed on it this afternoon. The parents all like Louisville better because its closer to 'home'.

The only one not happy is the cat, she doesn't like change. She'll get over it.

Anyway, I'll be moving starting tomorrow. Try not to let the Reds make any exciting moves I'd want to discuss until I get back.

And if anyone has any good tips on life in Louisville, let me know.
    Now that you've said that I suppose we should be preparing for big news tommorrow.

That said, enjoy Louisville.

Congratulations, Joseph. Good luck on the move.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The ushers at "Slugger Field" were beyond doubt the rudest I have ever encountered in all the years I have been going to baseball games.
    I will second that. I was a season ticket holder for the Bats for two years. I sat in the same seat EVERY game and was constantly hounded by the SAME USHER for two years. She wanted to see my ticket nearly every time I got up to use the restroom or get a beer. My wife and I called her the "seat nazi"

Anyway, congrats on Louisville, I have lived there on three separate occasions. It's a great town, Lot's to do. Make sure you check out the Slugger museum and IMAX theater downtown. tons of good places to eat. If your a pizza fan, check out the Clifton Pizza company on frankfort road.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I was reading a copy of "Outside" magazine at the drugstore (too cheap to buy it), and Louisville was listed as one of the top 20 up and coming places to live.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    I will second that. I was a season ticket holder for the Bats for two years. I sat in the same seat EVERY game and was constantly hounded by the SAME USHER for two years. She wanted to see my ticket nearly every time I got up to use the restroom or get a beer. My wife and I called her the "seat nazi"
    Was she a small lady im guessing in her late 50's who worked the upper deck?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Send your boys to St. X and your girls to Sacred Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Was she a small lady im guessing in her late 50's who worked the upper deck?
    Short, upper 50's early 60's. It was lower deck, first base side between home and first. Grumpy little witch. Kinda resembled Marge Schott. She really took away from the game experience.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Or you could send your children to Collegiate and receive a real education.

You might also want to check out the following restaurants:
    The Monkey Wrench (cool, eclectic bar/ restaurant with good food)
    Shalomar (good Indian food)
    Lynn's Paradise Cafe (ambience and ugly lamps, plus brunch)

The Kentucky Center for the Arts usually gives great show, though the Humana Festival is sometimes preachy.
    Shakespeare in the Park is great and free, though hot.
    Bat games are cheap and fun, but Cincinnati is only a couple hours north if you want the real thing.
    Wait til October for college basketball and football. Basketball dominates this college town, but football is/ was closing in. You must choose now as to allegience between Louisville and Kentucky. One or the other.

Other than that, enjoy the area, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Or you could send your children to Collegiate and receive a real education.
    As long as they have no interest whatsoever in athletics (field hockey and tennis excepted).

By the way, if you're already annoyed with the Louisville high school discussion, just wait. It's one of Louisville's favorite topics. Of all the people I know in Boston, I don't know where more than a half dozen of them went to high school. I know where EVERYONE I know from Louisville went to high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    By the way, if you're already annoyed with the Louisville high school discussion, just wait. It's one of Louisville's favorite topics. Of all the people I know in Boston, I don't know where more than a half dozen of them went to high school. I know where EVERYONE I know from Louisville went to high school.
    Atherton, got a good education (went to George Washington Univ. after high school) and didn't have to pay for it.:

I grew up in the Ville and my sisters spent their teen years there. We all talk wistfully of our time in that City and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we all ended up living there again. It is a fantastic place to grow up IMO. Plenty of parks, lots of rec activities, nice neighborhoods, good movie theaters and plenty of good places to eat or get into trouble, if that's your poison.

I think Louisville is about as close to Cincy as you will find.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Good Luck Joseph.

And everytime an NBA franchise gets tossed around to relocate, Louisville is always on the list.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?