Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George Sherrill??

George Sherrill??

Make it stop. Who is this team fooling that they are buyers? I really hope that they were there for another reason.

Trade winds
    Scouts from the St. Louis Cardinals and the Milwaukee Brewers, the two most aggressive suitors for Orioles closer George Sherrill, attended last night's game. The Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, Philadelphia Phillies, Florida Marlins and Detroit Tigers were also among the teams represented.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,1048863.story

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: George Sherrill??

Nothing wrong with exploring all options available...even if they end up turning into nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Nothing wrong with exploring all options available...even if they end up turning into nothing
    Just a waste of time looking at a pitcher who is going to be in demand, if you ask me.

It's hard to say unless we know exactly what Jocketty's plan is....which I don't.

Maybe he's looking to put a dominate bullpen together, to put less pressure on the young pitchers, who are sometimes going to struggle to get out of the 5th or 6th inning...

Maybe he's just getting a feel at what is out there...

Maybe these reports are inaccurate...
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-24-2008 at 12:20 PM.

The article just says the Reds were represented. It doesn't say who, if anyone, they were looking at. Could have been looking at Blue Jays?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sherrill is exactly the type of arm I was hoping the Reds would target-last off season.

He was almost exclusively used as a LOOGY by the Ms (he's lefty death) but clearly could have been leveraged much greater as the Os are now doing by using him as a closer. He also had very little service time and thus is cheaply controlled.

While I think Sherrill is really more of a stop gap closer (he doesn't have a super effective out pitch against righties and he has flyball tendencies), now Sherrill is an "established" closer so he's going to be harder to acquire because perception of his value has changed.

Closers and effective relievers in general, just aren't that hard to find.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Closers and effective relievers in general, just aren't that hard to find.
    I wonder why some teams always seem to manage to make it look hard, and other teams always manage to make it look easy.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Sherill is the perfect example of a guy with the golden "C". He's a 31 year old reliever with one above average season under his belt -- a season in which he was incredibly BABIP lucky. If he was a middle reliever, chances are most of us would never have heard of the guy. Unless you're in the heart of a playoff race and need to shore up your staff ASAP, it's just stupid to trade for a guy like this.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Article also says that St. Louis and the Brewers were there and have interest. if nothing else the trip would be helpful as advance scouting in case one of the other NL Central teams picks him up.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

he doesnt bend his bill. I don't want to see that. Its just tacky.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    he doesnt bend his bill. I don't want to see that. Its just tacky.
    I guess CC's out in the offseason, then

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Sherill is the perfect example of a guy with the golden "C". He's a 31 year old reliever with one above average season under his belt -- a season in which he was incredibly BABIP lucky. If he was a middle reliever, chances are most of us would never have heard of the guy. Unless you're in the heart of a playoff race and need to shore up your staff ASAP, it's just stupid to trade for a guy like this.
    While I wouldn't advocate the Reds pay in trade like theyre getting a Mariano Rivera, you're really underestimating the usefulness of Sherrill.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

While I wouldn't advocate the Reds pay in trade like theyre getting a Mariano Rivera, you're really underestimating the usefulness of Sherrill.
    I wouldn't mind having him around, don't get me wrong. But I don't think I'd want to give up a top prospect or two for him. With that many suitors and the way Angelos tends to micromanage, I can't imagine he'll be had for some mid-level prospects.

He's the sort of guy who goes from undervalued to overvalued in a heartbeat. The kind of guy Beane would acquire cheap, slap on the Golden C, and then flip for 3x what he got him for.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

How far would he get this team? I wouldn't mind the Reds getting him, but at what cost?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    How far would he get this team? I wouldn't mind the Reds getting him, but at what cost?
    Actually I think the chicken has flown the coup concerning trading for him. I'm not sure what the O's would want.

Concerning next season, Sherrill would be an upgrade over Affeldt/Bray as a lefty in the pen but probably not enough of one to justify what the O's might ask for.

Turn Off Ads?