Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Build a lineup around Dunn next year?

Build a lineup around Dunn next year?

What if the Reds re-signed Adam Dunn for next season. How would you build the lineup?

CF Hairston
    2B Keppinger
    SS Phillips
    LF Dunn
    3B EE
    RF Bruce
    1B Votto
    C

What if they don't re-sign Adam Dunn next season. How would the lineup look?

CF Hairston
    2B Keppinger
    RF Bruce
    SS Phillips
    3B EE
    1B Votto
    LF ?????
    C

The lineup looks weird without Dunn in it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Build a lineup around Dunn next year?

It looks weird and WEAK.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Why in the world would you hit Phillips above EE? They were close statistically last year, EE is significantly outproducing BP this season, and EE is significantly younger and more likely to continue his improvement.

Is your name Dusty Baker?

Seriously though the lineup stinks without Dunn. If he's gone they'd better go out and sign a .900 OPS OF.

If we unfortunately keep adam dunn....

I would have..

Hairston/Keppinger
    B-Phill
    Dunn
    Bruce(he will come back around to be a .290 BA and 25 homer guy..)
    EE
    Votto
    Keppinger/Hairston(hairston here only if he comes back to earth, if not then you bat kepp)
    Catcher du jour
    Pitcher

BPhill is in the 2 instead of Dunn because putting BPhill behind dunn takes away his speed on the bases..

Keppinger could bat 9th if you want 2 leadoff guys in a row if hairston and kepp can both keep up above .300..

Brandon Phillips is way too impatient of a hitter to bat in the 2 hole. The leadoff man won't have many pitches to try and steal and his OBP isn't that great either. Keppinger is the best option we have for the two hole right now. Once he gets back to 100% I think we will see more along the 320-330 lines for him again.

Hairston or FA/Trade
    Kepp
    Dunn
    EE
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Catcher

I wouldn't mind moving Bruce up or Phillips switching with EE during a BP hot streak.

The lineup has major holes in it with no Adam Dunn. A trade would have to bring an impact bat because the FA market doesn't appear to have one the Reds could land cheaper than Dunn and match production.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    What if the Reds re-signed Adam Dunn for next season. How would you build the lineup?

CF Hairston
    2B Keppinger
    SS Phillips
    LF Dunn
    3B EE
    RF Bruce
    1B Votto
    C

What if they don't re-sign Adam Dunn next season. How would the lineup look?

CF Hairston
    2B Keppinger
    RF Bruce
    SS Phillips
    3B EE
    1B Votto
    LF ?????
    C

The lineup looks weird without Dunn in it.
    no no no. Not weird. i think the word you looking for is horrible.

The first lineup looks fantastic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post

I would have..

Hairston/Keppinger
    B-Phill
    Dunn
    EE
    Votto
    Keppinger/Hairston(hairston here only if he comes back to earth, if not then you bat kepp)
    Catcher du jour
    Pitcher

BPhill is in the 2 instead of Dunn because putting BPhill behind dunn takes away his speed on the bases..

Keppinger could bat 9th if you want 2 leadoff guys in a row if hairston and kepp can both keep up above .300..

Please stop hiding your disgust for Adam Dunn. It's embarrassing. BP in the 2-hole. Nuh-uh. Double play machine and low OBP. Flip Votto and BP and you're onto something. Dunn in the 3-hole? Yes yes yes ye!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Why in the world would you hit Phillips above EE? They were close statistically last year, EE is significantly outproducing BP this season, and EE is significantly younger and more likely to continue his improvement.

Is your name Dusty Baker?

Seriously though the lineup stinks without Dunn. If he's gone they'd better go out and sign a .900 OPS OF.

If EE was a little more consistent i wouldnt argue too much with this.

But if we bat EE fourth this team would go on 20 game losing streaks and 20 game winning streaks. Like EE's batting avg.

Also the only thing close last year with EE and BP in stats were there batting avgs and doubles.

The rest BP handily beat EE.
    Last edited by bgwilly31; 07-24-2008 at 06:50 PM.

I've always liked Dunn hitting 2nd. I shy away from him 3rd due to his career numbers with RISP. Although his OBP plays just about anywhere I think he's more fit to swing 2,4, or 5.

Anyhow this would be my lineup 1a. with Dunn

1.) obviously the reds are lacking here Hairston and Keppinger are options, Hairston would be perfect if he kept up this years play, however I'd be wary of him regressing back to career norms. Like many here I'd like to see the Reds go after someone via free agency or trade. A legit leadoff guy could make this a very dangerous team. What can the price be on a guy like Reggie Willits? only 65 abs all season for the halos maybe their pen could use a little bolstering.

2.) Dunn- his high OBP and slugging play for me here. With a legitimate high OBP leadoff hitter I could envision a lot of 1st and 2nd with nobody out situations.

3.) Edwin Encarnacion- I would have felt better about this last year given his current trend of pulling everything but I'd be willing to bet that he could hold his own if given enough ab's here. Hit 360/447/500 last year with RISP and 303/392/523 the year before.

4.) Phillips- for now... would prefer him 5th or 6th, what Bruce and Votto are able to do their 2nd season determines if he stays here or not. Dunn works for me here also, In that situation I would have Keppinger, Votto, or Bruce 2nd.

5.) Jay Bruce- Is this guy even 21? I'm going to need to see some ID.

6.) Jeff Keppinger- the great thing about him is he is so versatile he can hit in almost any situation, for me he is interchangable 1st, 2nd, or 5-7.

7.) Joey Votto- definitely not your typical 7 hitter, If you don't get all giddy over lefty-righty lineups then you can switch him with Kepp. I would have Bruce here till he earned a promotion in the lineup but I think Votto might be a little less dependant on protection from hitting ahead of Benito Santiago...I mean David Bako

8.) Help Wanted: requirements- Over-rated defensive minded catcher, Biliungal a plus.

9.) Harang- I wish the NL had a DH

Lineup 1b.)
    1. Hairston/ Keppinger/ gift from santa

2. Joey Votto

3. Edwin Encarnacion

4. AD

5. BP

6. JB

7. JK

8. Pitcher- Larusa and Yost may be onto something but I'd let the pitcher hit here as a public shunning toward the catcher.

9. Catcher- Do they sell Dunce helmets?

As such as his D is weak, its a much more weaker lineup without him.
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

The lineup without Dunn looks weak because no one has replaced him yet.

The ??? at LF needs to be filled with a solid middle of the lineup hitter. Otherwise it is a waste of the money saved on not signing Dunn.

If Dunn is not resigned, I am positive that Jocketty will get a good replacement for him somehow. I have no idea who that is, but whoever it is, he will make the lineup look much better.

Here is just one guess, and I hope whoever the Reds get is better than this guess.

Hairston
    Votto
    EE
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Casey Blake
    Gonzo (remember him? He should be healthy next year)
    Catcher

I really like having Kep on the bench. Makes the team much stronger if they can afford to keep him there.

It's funny how Jerry Hairston is hot for a couple months and now all of a sudden he's depended on as an every day centerfielder. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Davis View Post
    It's funny how Jerry Hairston is hot for a couple months and now all of a sudden he's depended on as an every day centerfielder. Amazing.
    I agree with your sentiment. But if Hairston can keep this up for the next two months, then I see no reason to think that he can't do it next year.

If he falters, then the Reds need to get a CF, and knowing Dusty, he will leadoff.

I think Hairston is very "Freelesqe", In that he can provide tremendous spark, but don't count on him playing everyday. He will tear himself up to make the plays, endearing him to the fans, while injuring himself or just plain wearing down. Doc Rogers said on the after game show that he was often injured/dinged, in his early career with the O's when Rogers was in the front office there. That legacy continues sadly....

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post

I would have..

Hairston/Keppinger
    B-Phill
    Dunn
    EE
    Votto
    Catcher du jour
    Pitcher

Now that is funny. You say it would be unfortunate to bring Dunn back, and yet put him third in the batting order.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Turn Off Ads?