Turn Off Ads?

Thread: If the Reds are buyers, who goes?

If the Reds are buyers, who goes?

What if the Reds decide that they have enough prospects, they want major league players in any trade. What prospects could go?

Of course, if any of the Reds' prospects are traded, this forum will immediately crash. But in reality there are very few Cuetos, Bruces and the like around; most guys are expendable in the right trade.

A few thoughts on this.

Is Maloney suited to GABP? He has good numbers, but does give up some long balls. Good prospect, but more valuable in a trade?

Why does Valaika stay at shortstop? One possible answer is that the Reds see him a a trade piece and he is more valuable as a shortstop.

Why is Roenicke still at AAA? Maybe the Reds don't want to expose him to the majors yet, let him run up great AAA numbers and include him in a deal.

Just speculation before the deadline.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds are buyers, who goes?

I would think about any Reds' prospect currently in the minors could be had in the right deal. Roenicke, Thompson, Soto, Frazier and Valaika are probably the most expensive to pry away. Roenicke is fairly inexperienced pitching. I'd expect him to stay in Louisville and possibly get a September callup. The meeting with Buckley and Jocketty is likely Walt wanting input on just that - who to trade and who to keep to fill roles soon (as in sometime in 09) and which veterans can be traded who can be replaced from within and the timeframe.

Begs the question: Who are the Reds prospects you'd least like to see traded? I'd count Bailey and Thompson in that mix, since they're not yet established in the majors. (Not Bruce, of course.)

Off the top of my head, I'd go something like this:

1. Neftali Soto
    2. Kyle Lotzkar
    3. Homer Bailey
    4. Juan Francisco (I know, most people will have him lower.)
    5. Chris Valaika
    6. Daryl Thompson
    7. Todd Frazier (I know, most people will have him higher.)
    8. Juan Duran
    9. Drew Stubbs
    10. Devin Mesaraco
    10A. Josh Roenicke
    10B. Shea Snowden/Evan Hildebrandt
    Last edited by mace; 07-25-2008 at 11:43 AM.

10C. Zach Cozart
    10D. The Billings lineup

Turn Off Ads?