Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday, July 25 Minor League Updates

Friday, July 25 Minor League Updates

No brawls to report on as of now. Stay tuned.

Dayton and Peoria rematch at 7 (winner gets the Intercontinental Belt)

Jukich (0-0, 8.31) going for the Bats at 7:05

TBA for Chatt at 7:15

Carroll (5-3, 3.39) going for the Reds at 7

GCL Reds already won today 5-1. Andrew Bowman gets the win.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Friday, July 25 Minor League Updates

Bats losing 6-0. Not a good night for Jukich.

Chattanooga down 2-1 in the 3rd. Valaika 1-1, Stubbs 0-1

Sarasota 0-0 in the 2nd. Going against Porcello.

Dayton down 2-0 in the 6th. Soto 0-2

The Lookouts are facing Travis Chick, a former Lookout himself.

Michael Griffin and Luis Bolivar have HRs for the Bats, losing 8-3 now

Scott Carroll with another impressive outing right now, 4 IP 4H 4K 1 ER.

Why is Dickerson missing his 3rd game in a row?

Second straight poor start by Jukich since being called up. 3 more starts like this without showing improvement and he'll be and needs to be sent back down.

Jukich wasn't lighting things up in the Southern League this year before his promotion to Louisville. He had a 1.38 WHIP, which ranked him exactly at 2/3rd's of all the pitchers that have thrown enough innings to qualify as starting pitchers for the season. He ranked #19 out of 29 pitchers with that WHIP.

You make your decisions about these things based upon what you see, not what the numbers say, but it's looking like the numbers were right and Jukich wasn't ready. We'll know for sure after two more starts. If he pitches poorly in both of those, too, then he should be sent down.

You never know how these things are going to work out until you actually try them. The REDS have had a really good success rate this year on their promotions. Most have been successful.

The coaches will sit down with him and talk about what he's doing wrong and see if he can correct some of it in his next start. I wish him the best.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-25-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Dayton scored 3 in the bottom of the 8th to beat Peoria 3-2.

Key ABs in the 8th: Jason Bour - HR, Menchaca - BB and run scored, Feiner - Double and run scored, and the big one...a pinch hit single by Cozart.

Guess he's okay, eh?

The promotion of Jukich was one of those things where they had five openings all of a sudden because of the two players that went to Korea and Fogg and Bailey going back to the Majors, and Thompson going on the DL. Jukich was the best of the AA pitchers at the time, so he got the call. I don't think they would have made the promotion of the openings hadn't happened all at once. The promotion was kind of forced upon them.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-25-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Billings up 2-0 through 4. Sappelt with a double and Brown with a HR.

Here's how the AAA rotation has gone the last 15 starts.

The last round had:

7/25 Jukich (tonight)
    7/24 Pettyjohn
    7/23 Ramon Ramirez
    7/22 Mallett
    7/21 Livingston (took over Thompson's start)

The group before that was:

7/20 Jukich (basically took Maloney's spot who pitched to only 1 batter in his last outing before Mallett took over and went 6 IP.
    7/19 Pettyjohn
    7/18 Ramon Ramirez
    7/17 Maloney (1 Batter)/Mallett (6IP)
    All-Star Game
    7/13 Thompson

.....and the Group before that:

7/12 Mallett
    7/11 Ramon Ramirez
    7/10 Pettyjohn
    7/09 Maloney
    7/08 Thompson

Thompson's probably out another 2-3 Weeks, and I don't know what's wrong with Maloney.

I don't know who else would start if Jukich continues to get rocked his next two starts. That next start would be 15 days from now. That Day would be August 9th, and Jukich could probably throw that one too as a last chance to prove things. There's an off day on the 12th, so the next start wouldn't be until Aug 17th, and by then, Thompson should be ready if Maloney wasn't ready by then.

Harang should also be back by then pushing Bailey back down to the minors (unless Arroyo's traded, which is very likely and then Bailey stays up and takes Arroyo's spot....and if Arroyo's traded sooner than Harang is ready, then the REDS need another starter....maybe.)

It works itself out, but it's something that the management is always thinking about.

Bats lose 10-5

Rosales: 2-4, double
    Jukich: 5 IP, 9 hits, 8 runs, 5 ER, 1 bb, 3 K, 2 HR allowed
    Griffin, Barker had HRs

Lookouts lose 7-1

Dorn:1-2, double
    Smith:4 1/3 IP, 10 hits, 5 runs, 5 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

Sarasota wins 7-1

Francisco:2-5, double
    Parker:2-4, double, 3 RBI
    Carroll:7 IP, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 ER, 9 K

Dayton wins 3-2

Klinker:7 IP, 7 hits, 2 runs, 1 ER, 6 K
    Bour HR

Mustangs up 3-2 in 9th

Sappelt: 2-4, double
    Stovall: 2-4, HR

I was at the Dayton game tonight. A friend and I had already planned to go up before the brawl (he knows someone who works in Dragons PR), but it was kinda neat to go up there right after that.

Reds Player Development Director Terry Reynolds was there behind home plate. Looked like there were about 7-8 other scouts there as well, but this was my first Dayton game, so not sure what the "norm" is.

I thought Matt Klinker looked really good. Fastball touched 93 a couple of times. Most of the time he was at 90-91. At least in my mind, he appears to have a really good curveball that he throws at a couple different speeds. Sometimes it was around 76-77 and other times it dipped down to 65-66. He had some bad luck early when the first two batters reached on infield singles and then advanced on errant throws that should've just been pocketed.

Neftali Soto is pretty small in person, but he looks like he has the proverbial "room to fill out." He seemed to have a really solid approach every time he came to the plate and did a good job of working the count. On the flip side, Brandon Waring was a little too aggressive at times, but part of that could've been Dayton's offense was struggling and he was looking to make something happen.

Didn't come away very impressed with Denis Phipps from a makeup standpoint. His talent is pretty obvious, but he had sort of a lazy play, which as always, it's difficult to make a judgment on one game. In the second inning, Phipps was on first and another Dragon drove a ball to deep center. Phipps ran hard toward second but just sort of stopped short real non-chalantly waiting to see if the center fielder caught it. Once he did catch it, Phipps turned around and barely jogged back to first. Meanwhile, the center fielder immediately turned and rifled it to the cutoff man. I'm not sure if the cutoff guy was just so thrown off by where Phipps was or if he just didn't want to embarass him, but he caught and turned and hesitated for a couple seconds before throwing to first. If he takes a normal cutoff and throws to first, Phipps was out by a mile.

Funny thing about Zach Cozart's game-winning hit. It was an 0-2 count and he just barely fought off a pitch to loop it into right. The right fielder came in and completely overran the ball, sliding feet first and then trying to reach back to his left and having it glance off his glove. Looks like a line drive in the scorebook though.

Nice write-up johngalt. I went to a Jax Suns (Dodgers) - Mobile (D-backs) AA game. Normally you see 4-5 scouts with guns and notepads. Last night I counted 12.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

That's about the norm for scouts at a Dayton game. I've seen anywhere from 2 or 3 to upwards of 10 or 12. The seats I get are always row 11 half a section from where they sit.

Matt Klinker was actually sitting in those seats among scouts for the brawl game the other night. He was in street clothes charting pitches. He had a pretty good vantage point of everything happening right in front of him.

Turn Off Ads?