Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Johnny Bench: Reds have potential, bright future

Johnny Bench: Reds have potential, bright future

Bench: Reds have potential, bright future
    Hall-of-famer sees improvement in the pitching rotation and also position players, like Joey Votto and Jay Bruce.

By Kyle Nagel

Staff Writer

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Several years ago, the Cincinnati Reds invited Johnny Bench to watch a workout featuring potential draft picks. One player stood out.

"I noticed Joey Votto right away," said Bench, the legendary Reds catcher. "I said, 'There's a kid who has a swing, don't bypass him.' ''

The Reds didn't, and now first baseman Votto is part of a group of young players Bench identified as leading a promising future for the organization that has not had a winning season since 2000. Bench talked about the Reds and his optimism regarding owner Bob Castellini while discussing his new book Catch Every Ball, which brings together lessons Bench has compiled from his years of motivational speaking.

Bench's book comes out at a time when the Reds need motivation, as they stand 50-53. But Bench said things are looking up for the Reds, particularly in their pitching staff.

"We usually just have two pitchers and then say, 'What are we gonna do with 3, 4, 5?' '' Bench said. "Now we have the addition of (Johnny) Cueto and (Edinson) Volquez, and now Bronson's (Arroyo) throwing better."

With a lineup that includes Votto and Jay Bruce, Bench said he sees good things coming from the position players, as well.

"I told them it hasn't been a great first half," Bench said. "I told them when I was in a slump, if I was hitting .220, then in the next 100 at-bats I would plan to get 35 or 40 hits. I didn't think of it as I need to bring .220 up, that's already gone. You have to try to hit .320 or .350 in the next 100 at-bats. I was looking forward. That's the positive way you have to approach things."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...08spbench.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Bench: Reds have potential, bright future

Larkin on the Reds young talent:

On the Reds' young talent: I'm a huge Jay Bruce fan. It was awesome to see him come up and do some of the things he's been able to do. I know he's come back down to Earth a little bit, but everything I hear about him, he's a great kid, great guy, and that's what it's all about. Obviously I follow Dunner and follow Junior, Volquez, we tried to get him, Cueto, everybody tried to get him. It's great to see a kind of trend in Cincinnati of them going to pitchers that can dominate. Teams that are successful have pitching staffs that can dominate. Cincinnati should be competitive team for awhile to come.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...larkinweb.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

At least Bench didn't say any of them have a better curve than Seaver.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Bench's book comes out at a time when the Reds need motivation, as they stand 50-53. But Bench said things are looking up for the Reds, particularly in their pitching staff.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...08spbench.html
    I did not know Bench had a book coming out.....................
    Just kidding of course. Everytime Bench has his name mentioned, the BOOK is also mentioned. I think he has changed his name to Johnny "Hey did you know I have a book out" Bench
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Larkin on the Reds young talent:
    Cincinnati should be competitive team for awhile to come.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...larkinweb.html
    Oh the joy ... being competitive!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Oh the joy ... being competitive!
    I hear when we get to 82 wins the city is planning a parade.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?