Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REDS talking to Orioles about Closer George Sherrill

REDS talking to Orioles about Closer George Sherrill

Sherrill was an important piece in the trade of Erik Bedard to Seattle (another idiotic move by ex-GM Bavasi), but now the Orioles are shopping him with several teams, including the REDS, as suitors. The Orioles are said to be interested in obtaining two, if not three, prospects in return for him.

Per Baltimore Sun.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,1048863.story

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: REDS talking to Orioles about Closer George Sherrill

I am so confused, but I think Walt might have some big tricks up his sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I am so confused, but I think Walt might have some big tricks up his sleeve.
    You could be right. He did not sign Cordero, so he could be wanting to move him. Or he could just be trying to add as many good quality players as possible, if the price is right. The price probably is not right on Sherrill, as he is overpriced now that he is a closer. But he is one of the best loogy's in the game.

He was very impressive at the all star game. Stubbs / Coffey / Janish for Sherrill and we have "The New Nasty boys!"

I like the idea of getting Street more than Sherrill. I wouldn't be adverse to it, but I wouldn't hope they'd trade more than say Chris Valakia and Drew Stubbs. I wouldn't give up Bailey for him (or Street.)

The Brewers had no problem replacing Francisco Cordero with someone who's doing as good a job as Cordero did last season and much better than Cordero is doing this season.

I see no reason to overpay for Sherrill with 2 or 3 prospects when it's possible that we already have our own Sherrill on the AAA roster.

Sherrill is NOT good. THere is a reason Baltimore is shopping a cheap closer under their control for a while.

Ask any Baltimore an about Sherrill. Think lefty David Weathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Brewers had no problem replacing Francisco Cordero with someone who's doing as good a job as Cordero did last season and much better than Cordero is doing this season.

I see no reason to overpay for Sherrill with 2 or 3 prospects when it's possible that we already have our own Sherrill on the AAA roster.
    Have you seen the Brewers bullpen though, downright awful...they would love to have Cordero back. And their replacement was also the 10 million on Gagne, not Torres.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Sherril is a lefty who has nasty nasty stuff.

I'd love to add him.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

And being a loogy type, he would be awesome to have for the 7th or 8th alongside Burton and Weathers, and an occasional 9th instead of throwing Coco 3 games in a row

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    Sherrill is NOT good. THere is a reason Baltimore is shopping a cheap closer under their control for a while.

Ask any Baltimore an about Sherrill. Think lefty David Weathers.
    As a Baltimore fan (they're my second favorite team), I take exception to that comment. They aren't shopping Sherrill because he's cheap and under their control. They're only shopping him because they're trying to rebuild over there and he's one of their top trade pieces. Sherrill may make things interesting sometimes but there are other times he'll strike out the side and be completely unhittable to close a game. The guy has really good stuff but sometimes has trouble trusting it which does lead to a few 'Stormy' moments. Most Baltimore fans think he's a good pitcher though and therefore, if they do end up trading him, they want to get good value for him. That said, I don't want us to give up pieces of the Reds potential future to get a lefty pitcher when we all ready have decent leftys in our clubhouse. George would be a good addition to the staff though (if the price wasn't too high) and he's also a really good guy with a great story.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I think what this says it that Oakland is asking too much for Street.

I could see Sherrill as Affeldt's replacement. I could see Jocketty thinking along those lines.

How about we just get Street and Sherril and get rediculous in the pen

Obtaining Sherrill for 2 or 3 prospects reminds me of buying souveniers when you're on vacation. It looked like a great thing to do at the time, but later on you asked yourself, "Why they heck did I do that?".

Turn Off Ads?