Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is the best offer the Reds should make to Dunn?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 yrs/$30M

4 5.00%
  • 3 yrs/$36M

4 5.00%
  • 3 yrs/$45M

13 16.25%
  • 3 yrs/$60M

3 3.75%
  • 4 yrs/$40M

1 1.25%
  • 4 yrs/$48M

3 3.75%
  • 4 yrs/$60M

22 27.50%
  • 4 yrs/$80M

5 6.25%
  • 5 yrs/$50M

2 2.50%
  • 5 yrs/$60M

7 8.75%
  • 5 yrs/$75M

9 11.25%
  • 5 yrs/$100M

3 3.75%
  • 6 yrs/$60M

0 0%
  • 6 yrs/$72M

0 0%
  • 6 yrs/$90M

1 1.25%
  • 6 yrs/$120M

2 2.50%
  • 7 yrs/$70M

0 0%
  • 7 yrs/$84M

0 0%
  • 7 yrs/$105M

0 0%
  • 7 yrs/$140M

1 1.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is too much for Dunn?

What is too much for Dunn?

There have been several threads devoted to Dunn, his worth, and whether the Reds should resign him.

Concerning resigning Dunn much of the argument has focused upon his production and how it might (or might not) be replaced.

This thread is meant to focus on what the ORG thinks the Reds should be willing to pay Dunn and for how long. The options are meant to frame what is somewhat practical (i.e. there isn't an option for 1 yr/$2M) based upon the market though some could argue about the practicality of the options at either margin.

In any event, vote for the maximum amount of years/dollars that you think the Reds should offer Dunn given the options without regard for whether you think Dunn would accept the offer.

With some luck there will be a consensus about what the Reds should offer and the debate within the thread can focus on whether Dunn would actually accept it.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is too much for Dunn?

4/56 is the max I would go (both in years and salary). It'd be great if the Reds could get it done for 48-50 though.

You'll get two different "groups" of offers: one group of realistic offers from those who want to keep Dunn, and another group of unrealistic low-ball offers from those who want to see Dunn walk.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

To me, its pretty simple. The longer the contract is, the less I am willing to pay per year. I would be willing to pay 45-48 million for a 3 year deal. However if he wants more than 3 years (and he probably will), the price per years in my offer is going to go down to something like 12-13 million per year rather than 15-16 and I will not go over a 5 year deal with him. I don't trust him to age well enough.

anything over 4 years. It's not as much about the $$ per year as it is about the length of the contract. If I was the Reds I would not go past 4 years(preferably 3).

The thing is if there haven't been discussions then the Reds really have no feel for what it actually might take.

I am pessimistic that Dunn will be a Red in 2009 ... which means Jocketty has a lot of heavy lifting ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    You'll get two different "groups" of offers: one group of realistic offers from those who want to keep Dunn, and another group of unrealistic low-ball offers from those who want to see Dunn walk.
    I put made this into a poll in the hopes of avoiding anything patently unrealistic.

While I'm sure the options in the poll won't be perfect for everyone, I both hope they are inclusive enough and I'm really interested in what the ORG suggests is appropriate.

Also another limitation is that adding "option years" as an option would've made the poll untenable.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I am hoping for something no more than four years. 4 and 60 would be a decent contract.

High five!

I said 4/60. I'm not sure it gets done for that amount.

It appears 4/60 is way ahead. If you were going to spend 4/60, wouldn't you spend it on Ben Sheets?

The Reds have allowed 504 runs. Only ONE team over .500 has allowed 500 runs.....that is the Marlins.

If you want a winning record, pay for pitching!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    It appears 4/60 is way ahead. If you were going to spend 4/60, wouldn't you spend it on Ben Sheets?

The Reds have allowed 504 runs. Only ONE team over .500 has allowed 500 runs.....that is the Marlins.

If you want a winning record, pay for pitching!!!!!!!!

develop pitchers, trade for pitchers, don't pay for pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    develop pitchers, trade for pitchers, don't pay for pitchers.
    Ya.

I agree that paying pitchers is risky, but the Reds have traded for and devloped what they have......they need at least one mreo starter and one more good reliever, that is assuming Burton is OK (ditto Harang).

So either you pay or you trade guys like Encarncion and Votto and hope to replace them with FA. If you give Dunn, who would have to be MVP type talent, the bank, and 4/60 ISTHE BANK, then I don't see where you add other FA hitters.

RIL>

Most of us are talking about adding 2-3 million per year to Dunn's current deal. If the Reds can't afford that, especially with a) Junior coming off the books and b)Votto, Bruce, Cueto, and Volquez being years away from arbritration then there really isn't any long term hope.

I'd be looking to move Votto in the offseason myself. If the Braves, for example, can't/won't sign Tex, they're going to need some help at 1B.

+1 to what Raisor said.

Except for the Votto part. He stays.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    +1 to what Raisor said.

Except for the Votto part. He stays.
    I'd like for him to stay too, but with Yonder Alonso in the wings, he'd be a good choice to flip for pitching.

Turn Off Ads?