Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    She has quite the man voice. Not as in singing voice, but talking. My sister was watching the show and I literally thought a man was talking. Not very attractive on a woman, let alone a child.
    Debatable.

Kathleen Turner, circa 1981. Scarlett Johannson, circa right now.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The NBA and NFL drafts. Who cares who is the "top pick"? And what kind of person wastes their entire day wondering if Joe Schmoe will be drafted ahead of Joe Schmoesmith?

Harrison Ford. As Han Solo and "Raiders" Indiana Jones, he's an ace. Beyond that, no range, no nuance, no talent. He made Jack Ryan seem deadly dull.

Rock the Vote. "Hey, it's up to you! Make your voice heard! Get out and vote...for one of two choices, neither of which is all that appealing."

Tea and Coffee. Nevermind the supposed benefits of tea -- it still tastes like dirty water. Coffee, on the other hand, tastes like burned water. If you're filling half your cup with sugar and cream just to make something palatable, maybe you'd be better off just drinking the sugar and cream in the first place.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Improbus,
    Your list mostly made me chuckle, but I was perplexed by your categorization of wine as "overrated". There are thousands of different wines made from thousands of different grapes. There certainly are differing opinions on specific wines and the categorizations of wine by wine publications or wine critics, but I have honestly never heard of all wine being called overrated. Could you elaborate on what you mean?
    The idea of wine is overrated, not necessarily wine itself. The appeal of wine to many is in its "snob" factor. People want to be able to say that they've had a more expensive, exotic, or older wine than someone else as much as they actually enjoy the same wine. Now, I understand that this does NOT apply to everyone. There are many people who like wine for wines sake. But, so much of wines appeal is it exclusivity.

You can say the same thing about music: "I can't believe you've never heard of this band."
    You can even say the same thing about beer: "You've never had 'insert obscure beer, how sad...'"
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Yep. The World's Greatest Living Rock Band? Can't agree. I had a discussion with a friend recently about that title and he strongly disagreed as well. "First off," he said, "they're not alive..."

It just doesn't appeal to me. I LOVE seafood but lobster just doesn't register with me.
    You shouldn't be eating those "lobsters" they pull out of the Cumberland!

I enjoy every second I spend listening to Radiohead, no way they are overrated. I'm not even a huge critic of music..it's just extremely enjoyable.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

"Seinfeld" - Funny, but not nearly the show people rhapsodize about. Also not aging nearly as well as some other great comedies.

Sushi - Coming to the point where you get looked at quizzically if you have the audacity to say "Hey, I just prefer my fish cooked."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

1) Adam Dunn debates on Redszone
    2) Starbucks
    3) Hip Hop post 1995
    4) Complaining about gas prices (people complain about the price for a gallon of regular and then go inside and use the atm which has a 2.50 fee plus pay the 3.50 fee from your bank. Not to mention letting their 15% interest rate on there credit cards crush them finacially, I don't want to hear about it anymore...capeesh?)
    5) Seinfeld
    6) THE OFFICE... blah
    7) Rambo
    8) Trans fat
    9) Viral Videos
    10) Your local cover band
    11) Dane Cook (I hate that guy, he made 1 funny joke and reworded it a hundred times into a career)
    12) Will Ferrel
    13) Star Wars--- ALL OF THEM
    14) Crisis in Tibet--- I don't care
    15) Our continued presence in Iraq
    16) Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or anyone else who preaches on a similar platform
    17) CNN

off the top of my head
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 07-27-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    "Seinfeld" - Funny, but not nearly the show people rhapsodize about. Also not aging nearly as well as some other great comedies.

Sushi - Coming to the point where you get looked at quizzically if you have the audacity to say "Hey, I just prefer my fish cooked."
    Agree strongly on both counts.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Golf...

...Now running very fast!

I know I'm going to cause a riot(but isn't that why we have a message board?)
    1) Jimmy Buffett - 2 songs don't deserve a restaurant, 25 years of continuous touring, and a lifestyle/wardrobe.
    2) Dave Matthews - Jimmy Buffett 2.0, just with a few more songs. His songs are okay, but the cult following is obnoxious. His concerts seem like an excuse to relive your freshman year of college.

The color blue...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Say what you will about my Country, my Mom, my soon to be born son but I will be damned if I am going to let you sit there at your computer and type slightly displeasureable things about Seinfeld. I will fight you. Where can we meet?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I know I'm going to cause a riot(but isn't that why we have a message board?)
    1) Jimmy Buffett - 2 songs don't deserve a restaurant, 25 years of continuous touring, and a lifestyle/wardrobe.
    I agree the guy is flat out not good.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

College Football
    The Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoWhiteSox View Post
    College Football
    I had a friend from Australia marvel at our love for college sports. He wondered why anyone would spend that much time, energy, and money on an inferior product. You don't see 75,000 at a minor league baseball game or a Cyclones game. His viewpoint really made me wonder why we care so much about college sports, and then it dawned on me. We have a very personal connection. Your favorite sports team should almost always be your undergraduate alma mater (same goes for high school). Everyone in Ohio Stadium on a Saturday either went to OSU, has family that went to OSU, or friends that went to OSU. How many Reds fans have any affiliation with the team? The same question applies to Bengals fans. If you look at it that way, shouldn't all professional sports be overrated?

Turn Off Ads?