Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated

Re: Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Generally speaking, I like ribs. But Montgomery Inn ribs are very overrated. And being treated like cattle is even worse.
    Not if they keep the line Moo-ving.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post

Steak: I expect this to be an unpopular choice. It's not that I don't like steak, but I rarely ever get the satisfaction I feel I should given the price I pay. That, by definition, is overrated. (or I guess overpriced.) I tend to enjoy the sides better than the actual steak, and find that I'm usually happier with the pork chop at half the price.
    Google caveman steaks and give it a try. I thought I had mastered the perfect steak.....but this approach set a new standard for me.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

In honor of the Fail Mary...

My Most overrated for this week is....

The regular NFL officials. Everyone in the media is calling for them but even them in all their "goodness" gave us such brilliance each week that leaves many fans wanting to throw stuff at our tvs. The inexperience showed last night in that 1 in a 1,000,000 situation where that occured and absolutely no one would have NOT had problems with that call.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    In honor of the Fail Mary...

My Most overrated for this week is....

The regular NFL officials. Everyone in the media is calling for them but even them in all their "goodness" gave us such brilliance each week that leaves many fans wanting to throw stuff at our tvs. The inexperience showed last night in that 1 in a 1,000,000 situation where that occured and absolutely no one would have NOT had problems with that call.
    While I agree that the regular refs aren't perfect (which will always be the case as long as the human element is involved), are you insinuating the lack of ability of the replacement refs is being overstated?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    While I agree that the regular refs aren't perfect (which will always be the case as long as the human element is involved), are you insinuating the lack of ability of the replacement refs is being overstated?
    Lack of experience, not so much a lack of ability. Entire crews are being plucked from all levels and thrown together in this, there is no continuity like with the regular refs where you have an idea of just how the crew will call a game.

It would be like me being plucked off the street as a soccer ref and given a crash course of international rules and stuck in the middle of Brazil v Argentina. It makes a difference when you have a veteran to help bring inexperience refs in and hide their inefficiencies.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Lack of experience, not so much a lack of ability. Entire crews are being plucked from all levels and thrown together in this, there is no continuity like with the regular refs where you have an idea of just how the crew will call a game.

It would be like me being plucked off the street as a soccer ref and given a crash course of international rules and stuck in the middle of Brazil v Argentina. It makes a difference when you have a veteran to help bring inexperience refs in and hide their inefficiencies.
    OK, I agree with all that, but are you saying the replacement refs' performance, regardless the reasons, is overblown?

OK, I agree with all that, but are you saying the replacement refs' performance, regardless the reasons, is overblown?
    The replacement refs were in a no win proposition to begin with. I heard on more than 1 media outlet use the dreaded s word when describing the officials. And I am sure listening to the disgust from announcers/commentators/players this season that the sentiment is wider spread. Growing up in a family where both parents were/are members of unions there is no lower life form than that (in those circles).

The players have no respect for these refs (for a number of reasons), without that you are going to fail regardless of how well you may/may not know the rules or how to manage the game/people. That's the same for any other situation. These guys accepted the assignments knowing the situation and I'm sure many knew of the venom they were likely to receive, I personally wouldn't have done it but that's just me and how I was raised about that sort of situation.

I personally think its overblown by people who have agendas (being former players and thus members of the NFLPA, media trying to drive ratings, etc). Its a shame that what happened in Seattle happened because I am sure a more cohesive unit would have gotten that call right but they can't get that cohesion when its only the second or third time that group have probably worked together.

Plus I believe there are those that even if it were ruled as an interception that would be on the radio lambasting the refs that it should have been a mutual possession call and thus Seattle got screwed to push an agenda to get the union refs back to work.

Sorry for high jacking this thread. Or if an admin wants to move this to the NFL officiating thread feel free to.
    Last edited by Slyder; 09-26-2012 at 09:36 PM.

William Arthur Ward

Fair enough...while I don't agree that it's being overblown by most NFL fans (to say nothing of the people you mentioned), I respect your opinion and I'll also bow out to allow this thread to get back on track.

Fair enough...while I don't agree that it's being overblown by most NFL fans (to say nothing of the people you mentioned), I respect your opinion and I'll also bow out to allow this thread to get back on track.
    feel free to send a pm if you wish to discuss it further.
    Last edited by Slyder; 09-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.

William Arthur Ward

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Here's some things that are overrated. Led Zeppelin, U2, and Pearl Jam.

Can't stand their throngs of worshipping fans. I'd probably not mind them if they were much less popular.
    Witty signature.

I'm with you on U2 and Pearl Jam. But can't agree with you on the Zeppelin.

You seem to have the slight mindset of a hipster, based on your statement. Don't fall into that hole.

Overrated...
    Live (at stadium) NFL Games
    Chipotle
    Sons of Anarchy
    Yuengling
    Breakfast
    Smash Burger
    iphone
    "Why you going to the Airport; flying somewhere?"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Public Transportation. It sucks.

Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, and One Direction
    Iphone 5
    Gangnam Style
    Feel good stories. It may just be me, but they never make me feel good, but rather annoyed.
    Last edited by WDE; 10-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Public Transportation. It sucks.
    Totally agree on this one. Nothing kills a good day when the trains or buses are totally screwed up and you can't get to work or home in a decent time. It's not really all that cost efficient either. At least not in DC anyway.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nismoredlegs View Post
    I'm with you on U2 and Pearl Jam. But can't agree with you on the Zeppelin.

You seem to have the slight mindset of a hipster, based on your statement. Don't fall into that hole.
    Thanks for the warning. I also despise hipsters.
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?