Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 238

Thread: Most Overrated

  1. #61
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Golf...
    Playing, watching, or both?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Oh dear, how can I forget the all-time most overrated thing in the world: Radiohead.

    I don't care how many 5 star reviews RS throws at them, or how innovative they are.

    You may think you're cool by liking them, but you don't really like it. You feel hip placing it on the counter, it sounds cool to talk about with people you just met, but it's just noise. Crappy noise. Just admit it and throw on a Backstreet Boys CD. Sure, it's cheesy, but at least it has a chorus, keyboards, guitars, drums and it's not a wasteland filled with things that sound like a violin being played with a tire iron.

    Radiohead takes something wonderful like music, and turns it into an unbearable experience.

    People thought it was a big deal that they released an album online.

    Well if you wait a bit, you'll be able to buy it at garage sales nationwide.
    Wow Dom, that may be one of the most incredibly ignorant posts I've ever read, on any forum. it's not even your viewpoint I disagree with. Radiohead is definitely not for everybody. No, my problem lies with the fact that you're presenting your (incredibly flawed, IMO) opinion as fact.

    Please don't tell me what I do and do not like.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  4. #63
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,397

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    2) Dave Matthews - Jimmy Buffett 2.0, just with a few more songs. His songs are okay, but the cult following is obnoxious. His concerts seem like an excuse to relive your freshman year of college.

    I'm with you there. Whenever I hear him say "Hike up your skirt a little more and show the world to me", I feel physically ill. It was even a little dicey having to type it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  5. #64
    Member Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,328

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Wow Dom, that may be one of the most incredibly ignorant posts I've ever read, on any forum. it's not even your viewpoint I disagree with. Radiohead is definitely not for everybody. No, my problem lies with the fact that you're presenting your (incredibly flawed, IMO) opinion as fact.

    Please don't tell me what I do and do not like.
    Like he was the only one in this thread presenting his opinion as fact. It's just his opinion that you feel hip because you listen to Radiohead and that you'd rather listen to the Backstreet Boys. And I find it hilarious that you let it get under your skin.

    And I don't even completely agree with his post. Although Radiohead has sucked for a while. I got their online album that they were nearly giving away and then I listened to it and found out why they didn't want to try to sell it. I wanted my $2.00 back.

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Like he was the only one in this thread presenting his opinion as fact. It's just his opinion that you feel hip because you listen to Radiohead and that you'd rather listen to the Backstreet Boys. And I find it hilarious that you let it get under your skin.

    And I don't even completely agree with his post. Although Radiohead has sucked for a while. I got their online album that they were nearly giving away and then I listened to it and found out why they didn't want to try to sell it. I wanted my $2.00 back.
    I think there are quite a few people who would disagree with the bolded.

    And sorry if I don't enjoy getting the hipster label, because that's pretty much how the context of that post came off towards Radiohead-listeners.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  7. #66
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,045

    Re: Most Overrated

    1. Most modern pop music, especially anything with a hip hop influence.

    2. Text messaging. Also the awful spelling and acronyms that come from the prevalence of texting.

    3. American Idol

    4. Cable news

    5. Presidential candidates

    6. Man made global warming

    7. UFC

    8. Kevin Costner

    9. Gold Star

    10. New York City. Fun for a day, but give me some rural scenery any day.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

  8. #67
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,859

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I had a friend from Australia marvel at our love for college sports. He wondered why anyone would spend that much time, energy, and money on an inferior product. You don't see 75,000 at a minor league baseball game or a Cyclones game. His viewpoint really made me wonder why we care so much about college sports, and then it dawned on me. We have a very personal connection. Your favorite sports team should almost always be your undergraduate alma mater (same goes for high school). Everyone in Ohio Stadium on a Saturday either went to OSU, has family that went to OSU, or friends that went to OSU. How many Reds fans have any affiliation with the team? The same question applies to Bengals fans. If you look at it that way, shouldn't all professional sports be overrated?
    I agree with your friend from Australia. Div. I-A football and Div-I men's basketball puzzle me the most. Many of the players on MOST of these teams don't care a lick about the institutions, don't go to class, don't do anything for your institution besides suck up resources. Yet, somehow fans find them to be an extension of them.

    I also don't get the "personal connection" thing, unless you actually went there. My parents met at Indiana U., and I find it bizarre that in some people's minds this could have made me into an I.U. fan by birthright.

    Also, as much as pro sports get criticized for turnover and free agency, all college sports teams turnover at a much faster rate. I feel more of a personal connection to Barry Larkin than any of the athletes at I-U, even though I've never met Barry Larkin.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  9. #68
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Posts
    8,413

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I think there are quite a few people who would disagree with the bolded.

    And sorry if I don't enjoy getting the hipster label, because that's pretty much how the context of that post came off towards Radiohead-listeners.
    Wow, was actually enjoying this thread because it was all in good fun - until this. Calm down, after Radiohead has been around for 20+ years then it gets better because all the people and critics that couldn't stand them will either be dead or retired (just like Duran Duran)... Anyhoo, It's just someone's opinion - just put Dom on ignore...

    Actually the term hipster (or variations including "hippie") has been used a LONG time for many different reasons but mostly in the culture area. You know you're getting old when you don't like some music (I don't like rap and I don't like Radiohead) and you're kicked to the curb for having no taste.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

  10. #69
    Member The Baumer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Most Overrated

    Just wanted to say trying to convince people Radiohead is "unlistenable" or "sucks" is a pretty tall task. Good luck to you few who have decided to bear the most unpopular opinion ever.

    As for myself, I'll be here enjoying my 6 (Pablo Honey never happened) GREAT overrated, unlistenable Radiohead records.

  11. #70
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,656

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'm with you there. Whenever I hear him say "Hike up your skirt a little more and show the world to me", I feel physically ill. It was even a little dicey having to type it.
    "Crash into Me" is actually one of my least favorite Dave Matthews songs. I still like it, but it's nowhere near as good as a lot of their other stuff. Give me "Grey Street", "Seek Up", or "Crush" any day of the week.

    DMB, like most music (including the subject of much heat on this thread -- Radiohead), is all about your taste. There is lots of stuff I find unlistenable that other people love, and I recognize that not everyone shares my love for DMB.

    Riverbend on Aug. 5th will be the 10th time I've seen them live -- and if I didn't have a job to worry about, I'd be off seeing them again at Alpine in 2 weeks.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  12. #71
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,451

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Playing, watching, or both?
    Definately not playing, as I have much respect for it, but I get so tired of people talking about the PGA, or what equipment they are going to buy, or about this great story at this course. Blah!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  13. #72
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,120

    Re: Most Overrated

    Wow Dom, that may be one of the most incredibly ignorant posts I've ever read, on any forum.
    Is this a fact or opinion?

    Sorry you didn't like the post. It was meant as a fun rant. It's kind of funny that you took it seriously, since that's sort of what it was ribbing: music fans who take an artist and themselves a little too seriously.

    And my post wasn't anymore presented as fact than a Rolling Stone 5 star review.

    And, you know, the title of the thread is "Most overrated," which I think everyone here but one person inferred that its intent was to solicit opinions.

    I didn't realize I had to put "IMHO" in front of each sentence so that one person out of everyone here wouldn't get offended.

    So if it makes you feel better, IMHO Radiohead is crap, IMHO people who listen to it need an ear exam or a taste test, and they have been completely overrated since 1995 or so. "Creep" and "Fake Plastic Trees" are terrific songs (IMHO), but everything since then, IMHO is overrated rubbish.

    And IMHO, I really don't care if the hip Radiohead fan gets a grain of sand in his oyster.

    It proved my point (But I'll still stand by the inference that this is all just my humble opinion).

    Na-na-na-na-doo-doo.

  14. #73
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,443

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I still cannot get over how ESPN purchased? Took over? Destroyed! Classic Sports Network....... bowling? Poker? what the heck is this?

    No games that were not done by ESPN?

    The arrogance of taking a great channel like that and saying we determine what is classic is... beyond even Kanye West arrogance.
    You forgot the scrabble tournament that they were showing this weekend. This is an utterly useless channel. You are so right about ESPN detroying it.
    I also agree about the NFL and too many commercials. If it wasn't for the pause capability on my DVR I probably wouldn't watch the NFL. I can puase my DVR for about 30 minutes or so. Go do some chores and come back and watch the game. I don't have to sit through 5 minutes on ads between every other play to enjoy the game.

    You file this under the "old fogey" category but any type of pop music today is overated. I think it all is crap and can't hold a candle to anythig form the 60's or 70's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  15. #74
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Most Overrated

    Dom, you are absolutely correct about your view on music fans and music taste, so let me "slightly" adjust you statement. (pay attention to the italics)

    So if it makes you feel better, IMHO Dave Matthews is crap, IMHO people who listen to it need an ear exam or a taste test, and they have been completely overrated since 1995 or so. "Ants Marching" and "Satellite" are terrific songs (IMHO), but everything since then, IMHO is overrated rubbish.

    And IMHO, I really don't care if the hip Dave Matthews fan gets a grain of sand in his oyster.

    It proved my point (But I'll still stand by the inference that this is all just my humble opinion).

    Na-na-na-na-doo-doo.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  16. #75
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,045

    Re: Most Overrated

    I don't care for DMB or Radiohead. And I just had to go looking for a clip on the internet to see who this Radiohead is that folks are talking about because I had never heard them before. Not my cup of tea. I'll take classical, jazz, Irish music, (traditional kind) a few things from the 60s and 70s, and a few select country artists I. There's not much new that I care for really, with the odd good song I've heard on XM being the exception.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25