Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 238

Thread: Most Overrated

  1. #181
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,765

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They only redefined the genre twice, laid ground work for artists to write their own songs.

    Isn't special?

    I guess you could say that.

    One thing for sure the Beatles are bigger than the 60's.

    By October 1972, the Beatlesí worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.
    I am not saying they weren't important. Plenty of my favorite bands cite them as influences. I am saying that I simply don't get it. Compared to what I have been listening to my entire life, with my musical tastes, I would rather just turn them off and put something else on.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #182
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You're kidding right? You think Tobacco Road will let Syracuse play the style that has made their program a premier one (read Big East basketball)? I don't see a BC style collapse from Syracuse but at the same time I don't see them being allowed to dominate over the Chosen Ones in Blue (UNC/Duke). Also nice slight of Pittsburgh but thats easy as they haven't done crap in the tourney in a number of years.

    But alas I agree with you the ACC has fallen mightly and is only held up because Duke's allowed to flop around like a fish out of water come tournament time.
    It will be fun to see the Cuse run that zone in a league that can actually shoot.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  4. #183
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,120

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They only redefined the genre twice, laid ground work for artists to write their own songs.

    Isn't special?

    I guess you could say that.

    One thing for sure the Beatles are bigger than the 60's.

    By October 1972, the Beatlesí worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.
    I'm not a big Beatles guy, but you can't overrate them. It's impossible to downplay their significance, impossible to overstate their influence.

    I'm more of a Stones fan, but the Beatles are simply the second biggest act in rock history.

  5. #184
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    966

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Generally speaking, I like ribs. But Montgomery Inn ribs are very overrated. And being treated like cattle is even worse.
    Hate to say it, but I agree here. If you've been to any city known for classic ribs, you'll realize that it's nothing special.

    Classic rock on the whole gets a nod from me here as well. You've got plenty of classic artists that still hold up today (CCR, Zeppelin, Stones, Who), but eventually you come to realize just how many imitators hit it big with completely bland stuff. Bad Company, The Eagles, most everything from the 80's... much of the stuff worth listening to from that era would never get played on classic rock radio.

  6. #185
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,693

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm not a big Beatles guy, but you can't overrate them. It's impossible to downplay their significance, impossible to overstate their influence.

    I'm more of a Stones fan, but the Beatles are simply the second biggest act in rock history.
    Second? I'm more of the mind that they're the undisputed number 1.

    I tend to agree though, I'm not as big of a fan as others are of The Beatles. I do think their music is good. It's not hard to understand why they were big; they were the first to do what they did. But their musical style has been copied wholesale an infinite number of times by now, so it's kind of hard for the magic of that sound to *not* be diluted to younger generations.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  7. #186
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Most Overrated

    A guy once posted on The History Channel boards that he thought Shakespeare was overrated because he filled his plays with cliches.

    He was serious.

    I feel the same way when people criticize The Beatles.

    btw, not being from Cincinnati, I've never tried Montgomery Inn ribs mostly because I've heard a lot of people say they're overrated. Interesting to see the same thoughts here. fwiw, I had some great ribs at a place in southern Mississippi last year called The Shed, and it burned down a few days later.

    I just checked their website, though, and it appears to still be standing. I guess a tin shack isn't hard to rebuild.

  8. #187
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,846

    Re: Most Overrated

    Never joined this thread before, but just off the top of my head...

    -Big 10 Football (especially OSU)
    -Apple Products
    -Some (though not all) HBO original programming
    -Ryan Lochte (or at least he was leading up to and during the Olympics)

  9. #188
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,297

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Some (though not all) HBO original programming
    Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the latest "best show in televsion", not just confined to HBO.

    A lot of these shows are just serial dramas dressed up for an audience other than housewifes or teenage girls. Yeah, you get into the show. That's the way serial dramas work. It doesn't make them Ibsen.

    The Sopranos was great, The Wire was very good, if uneven. A lot of the rest (Breaking Bad, MadMen, etc...) are way overrated.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  10. #189
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,846

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the latest "best show in televsion", not just confined to HBO.

    A lot of these shows are just serial dramas dressed up for an audience other than housewifes or teenage girls. Yeah, you get into the show. That's the way serial dramas work. It doesn't make them Ibsen.

    The Sopranos was great, The Wire was very good, if uneven. A lot of the rest (Breaking Bad, MadMen, etc...) are way overrated.
    Agree on The Sopranos. I liked Entourage a lot, at least the first 4-5 seasons. But now it seems like HBO (style) shows are all about shock value. Which program can insert the most profanity, senseless nudity and shocking violence. Give me substance every day of the week first and foremost.

  11. #190
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,045

    Re: Most Overrated

    Walt's Hitching Post over in Kentucky had darn good ribs until they closed.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

  12. #191
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,397

    Re: Most Overrated

    Connectivity is overrated.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  13. #192
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,075
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Walt's Hitching Post over in Kentucky had darn good ribs until they closed.
    Seconded on this and the Sopranos (both definitely NOT overrated).

  14. #193
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Agree on The Sopranos. I liked Entourage a lot, at least the first 4-5 seasons. But now it seems like HBO (style) shows are all about shock value. Which program can insert the most profanity, senseless nudity and shocking violence. Give me substance every day of the week first and foremost.
    I agree.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  15. #194
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,120

    Re: Most Overrated

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Second? I'm more of the mind that they're the undisputed number 1.

    I tend to agree though, I'm not as big of a fan as others are of The Beatles. I do think their music is good. It's not hard to understand why they were big; they were the first to do what they did. But their musical style has been copied wholesale an infinite number of times by now, so it's kind of hard for the magic of that sound to *not* be diluted to younger generations.
    Elvis Presley had double their chart success. I've said this before and I think it bears repeating:

    At one point Billboard's top 5 artists of all time included the Beatles and Paul McCartney and Wings.

    If you combined their points, they still didn't equal Elvis. Number 1 was better than 2 and 4 combined.

    I guess you can argue that chart success doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure that there are many lists where the Beatles are on top.

    But 100 plus top 40 hits all by yourself is pretty tough to beat.

  16. #195
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,759

    Re: Most Overrated

    Starbucks....Way over priced crap. Dunkin Donuts is cheaper and better.

    Wrigley Field....Its a frat house with horrible bathrooms. Oh but they have vines growing on their outfield walls...how lovely.

    Jack In the Box...We just had one come to Indy. Everyone was making a big deal about it but it is the worst fast food I have ever had.

    Will Ferrell....I have watched several of his movies but I have never laughed once.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25