Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They only redefined the genre twice, laid ground work for artists to write their own songs.

Isn't special?

I guess you could say that.

One thing for sure the Beatles are bigger than the 60's.

By October 1972, the Beatles’ worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.
    I am not saying they weren't important. Plenty of my favorite bands cite them as influences. I am saying that I simply don't get it. Compared to what I have been listening to my entire life, with my musical tastes, I would rather just turn them off and put something else on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You're kidding right? You think Tobacco Road will let Syracuse play the style that has made their program a premier one (read Big East basketball)? I don't see a BC style collapse from Syracuse but at the same time I don't see them being allowed to dominate over the Chosen Ones in Blue (UNC/Duke). Also nice slight of Pittsburgh but thats easy as they haven't done crap in the tourney in a number of years.

But alas I agree with you the ACC has fallen mightly and is only held up because Duke's allowed to flop around like a fish out of water come tournament time.
    It will be fun to see the Cuse run that zone in a league that can actually shoot.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They only redefined the genre twice, laid ground work for artists to write their own songs.

Isn't special?

I guess you could say that.

One thing for sure the Beatles are bigger than the 60's.

By October 1972, the Beatles’ worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.
    I'm not a big Beatles guy, but you can't overrate them. It's impossible to downplay their significance, impossible to overstate their influence.

I'm more of a Stones fan, but the Beatles are simply the second biggest act in rock history.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Generally speaking, I like ribs. But Montgomery Inn ribs are very overrated. And being treated like cattle is even worse.
    Hate to say it, but I agree here. If you've been to any city known for classic ribs, you'll realize that it's nothing special.

Classic rock on the whole gets a nod from me here as well. You've got plenty of classic artists that still hold up today (CCR, Zeppelin, Stones, Who), but eventually you come to realize just how many imitators hit it big with completely bland stuff. Bad Company, The Eagles, most everything from the 80's... much of the stuff worth listening to from that era would never get played on classic rock radio.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm not a big Beatles guy, but you can't overrate them. It's impossible to downplay their significance, impossible to overstate their influence.

I'm more of a Stones fan, but the Beatles are simply the second biggest act in rock history.
    Second? I'm more of the mind that they're the undisputed number 1.

I tend to agree though, I'm not as big of a fan as others are of The Beatles. I do think their music is good. It's not hard to understand why they were big; they were the first to do what they did. But their musical style has been copied wholesale an infinite number of times by now, so it's kind of hard for the magic of that sound to *not* be diluted to younger generations.

A guy once posted on The History Channel boards that he thought Shakespeare was overrated because he filled his plays with cliches.

He was serious.

I feel the same way when people criticize The Beatles.

btw, not being from Cincinnati, I've never tried Montgomery Inn ribs mostly because I've heard a lot of people say they're overrated. Interesting to see the same thoughts here. fwiw, I had some great ribs at a place in southern Mississippi last year called The Shed, and it burned down a few days later.

I just checked their website, though, and it appears to still be standing. I guess a tin shack isn't hard to rebuild.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Never joined this thread before, but just off the top of my head...

-Big 10 Football (especially OSU)
    -Apple Products
    -Some (though not all) HBO original programming
    -Ryan Lochte (or at least he was leading up to and during the Olympics)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Some (though not all) HBO original programming
    Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the latest "best show in televsion", not just confined to HBO.

A lot of these shows are just serial dramas dressed up for an audience other than housewifes or teenage girls. Yeah, you get into the show. That's the way serial dramas work. It doesn't make them Ibsen.

The Sopranos was great, The Wire was very good, if uneven. A lot of the rest (Breaking Bad, MadMen, etc...) are way overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the latest "best show in televsion", not just confined to HBO.

A lot of these shows are just serial dramas dressed up for an audience other than housewifes or teenage girls. Yeah, you get into the show. That's the way serial dramas work. It doesn't make them Ibsen.

The Sopranos was great, The Wire was very good, if uneven. A lot of the rest (Breaking Bad, MadMen, etc...) are way overrated.
    Agree on The Sopranos. I liked Entourage a lot, at least the first 4-5 seasons. But now it seems like HBO (style) shows are all about shock value. Which program can insert the most profanity, senseless nudity and shocking violence. Give me substance every day of the week first and foremost.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Walt's Hitching Post over in Kentucky had darn good ribs until they closed.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Connectivity is overrated.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Walt's Hitching Post over in Kentucky had darn good ribs until they closed.
    Seconded on this and the Sopranos (both definitely NOT overrated).

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Agree on The Sopranos. I liked Entourage a lot, at least the first 4-5 seasons. But now it seems like HBO (style) shows are all about shock value. Which program can insert the most profanity, senseless nudity and shocking violence. Give me substance every day of the week first and foremost.
    I agree.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Second? I'm more of the mind that they're the undisputed number 1.

I tend to agree though, I'm not as big of a fan as others are of The Beatles. I do think their music is good. It's not hard to understand why they were big; they were the first to do what they did. But their musical style has been copied wholesale an infinite number of times by now, so it's kind of hard for the magic of that sound to *not* be diluted to younger generations.
    Elvis Presley had double their chart success. I've said this before and I think it bears repeating:

At one point Billboard's top 5 artists of all time included the Beatles and Paul McCartney and Wings.

If you combined their points, they still didn't equal Elvis. Number 1 was better than 2 and 4 combined.

I guess you can argue that chart success doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure that there are many lists where the Beatles are on top.

But 100 plus top 40 hits all by yourself is pretty tough to beat.

Starbucks....Way over priced crap. Dunkin Donuts is cheaper and better.

Wrigley Field....Its a frat house with horrible bathrooms. Oh but they have vines growing on their outfield walls...how lovely.

Jack In the Box...We just had one come to Indy. Everyone was making a big deal about it but it is the worst fast food I have ever had.

Will Ferrell....I have watched several of his movies but I have never laughed once.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?