Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Most Overrated

Re: Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Maybe it's not really overrated, but I don't understand how anyone can actually prefer white meat over dark meat. Give me the drumsticks and the rest of you can have the breast.
    +1
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe it's not really overrated, but I don't understand how anyone can actually prefer white meat over dark meat. Give me the drumsticks and the rest of you can have the breast.
    I think turkey is overrated.

I prefer ham, roast beef or even salami to turkey.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think turkey is overrated.

I prefer ham, roast beef or even salami to turkey.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I love me some dark meat. I am the only one in my family who likes it so I get my fill.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

While people quibble over the drumsticks, I stockpile on white meat goodness. Superior in every way.

If you prefer white meat, you should think about going vegan.

I like dark meat, lamb, game and fishy fish. I wants to taste my animals.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

Inferior meat.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

I'm with you there. I eat a lot of lamb and I love strong fish, and duck occasionally as well.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

They call me "chef"

If you guys eat any part of the meat you're just doing it all wrong. It's about chewing the bones & slurping out the sweet marrow. Only way to dine.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    If you guys eat any part of the meat you're just doing it all wrong. It's about chewing the bones & slurping out the sweet marrow. Only way to dine.
    Yup. And don't bother with destroying the food by cooking any of it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Elvis Presley had double their chart success. I've said this before and I think it bears repeating:

At one point Billboard's top 5 artists of all time included the Beatles and Paul McCartney and Wings.

If you combined their points, they still didn't equal Elvis. Number 1 was better than 2 and 4 combined.

I guess you can argue that chart success doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure that there are many lists where the Beatles are on top.
    Elvis was a trailblazer. Rock and roll did not exist in the white consciousness until Elvis Presley brought it into acceptance. Popular music since (especially rock n roll) was spawned from Elvis. It was the 50s, and people, especially whites (teens), never heard or seen a man do such things before. He was an originator and quite unique. Could one say "No Elvis, then no Beatles?" I think one could. Everyone had their mentor, those that influenced them.

But could Elvis be considered an artist? He didn't write his own music, and was an adequate rhythm guitar player (it became more of a prop). His forte was in performing and delivery. And yep, boy could he deliver.

And Dylan was also a great influence on the Beatles. But the Beatles, IMO, were a very progressive band.

Here are a couple good articles on Lennon and Elvis, and when the Beatles met him....

http://features.absoluteelsewhere.ne...ing_and_i.html

http://features.absoluteelsewhere.ne...s_meeting.html

Lennon's song "Starting Over" was John getting back to his roots, and done ala Elvis.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-24-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I have to agree with Mr. GAC about Elvis. And I would simply like to state that I believe Elvis was much more talented than he was allowed to show himself to be. The studio and the industry manipulated his talent and molded it into what they perceived he should be.

I just watched a special called "Elvis '56" about the year that he really took off.

It showed quite a few performances from that year, and I have to agree... I'm not sure how much of it was really about the music.

It went pretty much like:
    1. 1st verse and refrain: sing with the whole "sneer" thing.
    2. Solo: run around and convulse randomly while lead guitar guy plays a few licks
    3. 2nd verse and refrain: back to the sneer

Seriously...I actually found it a bit odd. And I found myself drawing more similarities and comparisons of Elvis to Justin Bieber than Elvis to the Beatles.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?