Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated

Re: Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I'm prouder than ever to say I've never heard of Radiohead!

Viva los 80's!!!
    Oh, that reminds me--The 80's were/are overrated. Give me the 90's movies, music, sports, and styles any day over the 80's...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 07-28-2008 at 03:52 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Johnny and Caveat,

I'm not really disputing that athletics can help both recruiting and alumni giving. But how often are they a NET gain? Usually not. Most schools are losing money in the athletics arms race.

Kansas is a bad example because they have great sports teams. And particularly for alums who move to L.A. or Orlando or something, I agree that the best way to get them back to Lawrence on occasion would be to assure that the teams are good.

But most universities aren't Kansas in terms of tradition and quality in intercollegiate athletics. The "arms race" to try to be an Ohio State or a Kansas, when one is not, can decimate an institution.

If the University of Denver or the University of Dayton (as far as I know, both have good academic programs) tried to spend money on recruiting, coaching salaries, and athletic facilities like Ohio State, they'd hurt their institutions. Schools like this are going to lose money on athletics, period (even though the former has had champion hockey teams).

You particularly see it in some of the schools that have moved up to I-A football (e.g. Troy State, UConn). Diverting funds from academic programs or professor salaries in order to move up in a division is usually a bad idea.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Johnny and Caveat,

I'm not really disputing that athletics can help both recruiting and alumni giving. But how often are they a NET gain? Usually not. Most schools are losing money in the athletics arms race.

Kansas is a bad example because they have great sports teams. And particularly for alums who move to L.A. or Orlando or something, I agree that the best way to get them back to Lawrence on occasion would be to assure that the teams are good.

But most universities aren't Kansas in terms of tradition and quality in intercollegiate athletics. The "arms race" to try to be an Ohio State or a Kansas, when one is not, can decimate an institution.

If the University of Denver or the University of Dayton (as far as I know, both have good academic programs) tried to spend money on recruiting, coaching salaries, and athletic facilities like Ohio State, they'd hurt their institutions. Schools like this are going to lose money on athletics, period (even though the former has had champion hockey teams).

You particularly see it in some of the schools that have moved up to I-A football (e.g. Troy State, UConn). Diverting funds from academic programs or professor salaries in order to move up in a division is usually a bad idea.
    It cuts both ways, though. Schools like Denver and Dayton don't really have great reputations for sports or academics. You've got to get those tuition dollars somehow.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Oh, that reminds me--The 80's were/are overrated. Give me the 90's movies, music, sports, and styles any day over the 80's...
    Hello?
    Michael Jackson, Madonna,
    Mullets, moon boots and Flashdance.

Had to be there to understand!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Hello?

I guess so...

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Hello?

I was there and I'm still not sure if I understand.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I don't care for DMB or Radiohead. And I just had to go looking for a clip on the internet to see who this Radiohead is that folks are talking about because I had never heard them before. Not my cup of tea.
    Listen to Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees". Its soul and truth stand out.

Listened to OK Computer, once. It sounded important though.

There are a number of big, portentous movies that I think are just plain bOOOring:

Out of Africa
    Dr. Zhivago
    The English Patient

And I don't know how highly rated it is, but CSI Miami is maybe the worst TV I've ever seen. Its like one of those USA network cop shows with worse writing/acting/direction and a bigger budget.

I mean does the cast and crew just snort coke and laugh themselves silly as they watch it, not believing what they're getting away with.

And I don't know how highly rated it is, but CSI Miami is maybe the worst TV I've ever seen. Its like one of those USA network cop shows with worse writing/acting/direction and a bigger budget.
    David Caruso has to be one of the worst actors of all time. Everything just seems so forced, well at least in the movies that he makes.

Little OT story here about Mr. Caruso.

He was in a movie once called Jade ooh my it was terrible. It was filmed down in your neck of the woods and just so happened I was living there at the time. One Sunday afternoon it was paticularly sunny so I decided to grab a cup of coffee and head over to Washington square and enjoy the day while I read the paper. As I walked towards the park I noticed there was not very many people milling about, pretty unusual for such a nice day. I look up and there is this fairly attractive well dressed woman walking towards me thinking she must have just come from services at St Peter & Paul Church when I suddenly here "CUT", I look over my shoulder and see an entire film crew there actively filming. The director tells me if I want to watch I'll have to cross the street which I do and watch for a few minutes before I decide I've had my fill. I continue on down the street when I'm far enough away I cross back over the street right by the church and pass a couple of trailors when out pops this little red headed pip squeak. It was David Caruso, I didn't say anything to him, but I should have let him have it for ruining the remake of Kiss of Death.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalRed View Post
    David Caruso has to be one of the worst actors of all time. Everything just seems so forced, well at least in the movies that he makes.

Little OT story here about Mr. Caruso.

He was in a movie once called Jade ooh my it was terrible. It was filmed down in your neck of the woods and just so happened I was living there at the time. One Sunday afternoon it was paticularly sunny so I decided to grab a cup of coffee and head over to Washington square and enjoy the day while I read the paper. As I walked towards the park I noticed there was not very many people milling about, pretty unusual for such a nice day. I look up and there is this fairly attractive well dressed woman walking towards me thinking she must have just come from services at St Peter & Paul Church when I suddenly here "CUT", I look over my shoulder and see an entire film crew there actively filming. The director tells me if I want to watch I'll have to cross the street which I do and watch for a few minutes before I decide I've had my fill. I continue on down the street when I'm far enough away I cross back over the street right by the church and pass a couple of trailors when out pops this little red headed pip squeak. It was David Caruso, I didn't say anything to him, but I should have let him have it for ruining the remake of Kiss of Death.
    lol The idea of seeing this happen is very amusing to me, and I think I'd love to see it happen to any number of actors. I mean I'm sure all actors get their fair share of "You suck!!" or various other jeers, I'm sure they're used to that kind of stuff. It's boring and not very creative. However, the idea of someone being so put off by a certain performance by a certain actor that they launch into a rehearsed tirade laced with phrases like "you should be ashamed of yourself", "you owe me more than just the money for the ticket" or "You've ruined my life!!". Like you said just "letting him have it".

Kind of off topic. Just something that made me laugh.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I think L & O SUV.......tends to have some over acting....I never thought it was better than Criminal Intent at all. I do think however that any Law and order spin off is better than the CSI ones.

CSI MIami is almost MTV like in it's production.

Hello?

I'm with you, I love me some 80's. The 90's, ehh, they were ok.

Radiohead, I may have heard them once or twice??? Now if you wanna take a crap on hair bands i'm ready to throw down! But OTOH maybe I should just go ahead and back down now even most people who grew up in the 80's didn't like them.

Overrated, hmmm Statistics in general and even Sports themselves. Oh yeah I agree with this crowd, Goldstar and Skyline are awful, it's like eating battery acid on crackers.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Wow - lots of my favorite stuff in life is overrated, not to mention actually put down (which is clearly different than being overrated as others have pointed out).

I can understand people thinking things are overrated when they don't see all that much in them that they like, but just because you don't like them does not make them bad (which is my general issue with so many people's opinions that are presented as fact).

Proud to be a chicken wing eatin', Jimmy Buffett lovin', college sports cheerin', Ohio State alum. (p.s. I am certain I like some "underrated" things too )
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'm with you, I love me some 80's. The 90's, ehh, they were ok.

Radiohead, I may have heard them once or twice??? Now if you wanna take a crap on hair bands i'm ready to throw down! But OTOH maybe I should just go ahead and back down now even most people who grew up in the 80's didn't like them.
    Hair bands were wildly popular in the mid to late 80's. Millions and millions of albums sold. Cinderella was my own personal favorite -- good hooks, and great, bluesy guitar work.

A large segment of music fans used to dump on hair bands, but by the mid-90's, many of those same fans had grown tired of "mopey" grunge and were clamoring for the return of feel-good hair metal.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Hair bands were wildly popular in the mid to late 80's. Millions and millions of albums sold. Cinderella was my own personal favorite -- good hooks, and great, bluesy guitar work.

A large segment of music fans used to dump on hair bands, but by the mid-90's, many of those same fans had grown tired of "mopey" grunge and were clamoring for the return of feel-good hair metal.
    I'm right there with you on Cinderella. "Long Cold Winter" is one of my favorites.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?