Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anthony Reyes to Cleveland

Anthony Reyes to Cleveland

Nice deal for the Indians...upside galore here.

Indians acquire Anthony Reyes from St. Louis for minor leaguer
    Posted by Paul Hoynes July 26, 2008 14:42PM
    Categories: Breaking News, Indians
    The Indians, in another move to bolster their starting pitching depth, today acquired St. Louis right-hander Anthony Reyes for Class AA reliever Luis Perdomo.

Reyes, who won Game 1 of the 2006 World Series for the Cardinals, but has been unable to recapture that magic, was 2-3 with a 3.25 ERA in 11 starts at Class AAA Memphis. He's spent 10 games with the Cardinals this year, going 2-1 in 10 appearances. Reyes will report to Class AAA Buffalo.

Perdomo, a right-hander, has spent six years in the Indians system and is a product of their baseball academy in the Dominican Republic. He was 2-0 with a 3.52 ERA and one save in nine appearances at Class AA Akron with 17 strikeouts in 15 1/3 innings.

He started the year at Class A Kinston, going 3-1 with a 0.92 ERA and 18 saves in 31 games.

Reyes is 10-24 in his big-league career.
    http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/200...ony_reyes.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anthony Reyes to Cleveland

Seems like a good candidate for a change of scenery success.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Reyes doesn't have great stuff, BUT, it's hard not to like this deal if you're an Indians fan. While it does look like St. Louis has a potential good bullpen arm, the guy is in the low minors and still a question mark. Reyes can be a back of the rotation guy.

our junk for your junk. The trade isn't going to help either club.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I would be very leery of a Duncan discard.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Checking the standings... yep, the Cardinals are still just three out. I don't get why they flipped him for another minor-leaguer instead of trying to use him, either alone or as part of a package, to get something that might help their club now.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I would be very leery of a Duncan discard.

Yeah, the last high end starting prospect they got rid of after he scuffled in the majors was Dan Haren.

The Indians made a smart move here.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Indians made a smart move here.
    Agreed. I've never bought into the Reyes hype that he was a future T-O-R starter but I do think he can make it as a solid back end starter or a reliever. The Indians made some nice deals yesterday by getting Reyes and then Carlos Santana and Jon Meloan from the Dodgers for Casey Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. I've never bought into the Reyes hype that he was a future T-O-R starter but I do think he can make it as a solid back end starter or a reliever. The Indians made some nice deals yesterday by getting Reyes and then Carlos Santana and Jon Meloan from the Dodgers for Casey Blake.
    Ya. Not every move needs to be buying Babe Ruth for cash.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?