Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Larson Update

Brandon Larson Update

A while back, I read someone say (probably on one of these forums) that Brandon Larson was out of baseball. I assumed that was the case, myself.

As it turns out, he's still alive in the baseball world and doing well for himself (sort of).

Larson is hitting .338 with 17 home runs and 58 RBI's for Somerset of the Atlantic League. He leads the league in slugging percentage and is in the top five in homers, RBI's and batting average.

The Atlantic League is the independent league, sort of a baseball purgatory for those that do not belong to any organization. It's the league J.D. Drew played in after being drafted by Philadelphia before St. Louis picked him up.

Such former Major Leaguers having success there are Carl Everett (.342/.440/.584, 15-52), Luis Lopez (.340/.441/.464, 4-51) and Josh Pressley (.340/.410/.583, 18-56).

Other players you may remember: OF Josh Rabe, P Ryan Drese, P Brian Lawrence, P Felix Rodriguez, DH Matt LeCroy, 2B Brent Abernathy, SS Edgardo Alfonzo, OF Alex Sanchez, OF Richard Hidalgo, P Donovan Osborne, 2B Bobby Hill, OF Ruben Mateo, 1B Randall Simon, P Brian Reith, OF Curtis Pride, OF Chris Ashby, 3B Shea Hillenbrand and recently signed Brewer OF Jay Gibbons.

Here's the Atlantic League website for those that are curious about it:

Atlantic League

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Larson Update

Chosen over Lance Berkman....

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    Chosen over Lance Berkman....
    ouch
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

It's amazing someone can destroy minor league pitching like that and hit worse than CPatt at the ML level

I read somewhere that Larson recently called a Reds player (Dunn maybe?) and asked for any extra baseball bats he might have.

larsen once homered off randy johnson

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by akron3344 View Post
    If I am not mistaken, so did Ryan Freel

Quote Originally Posted by akron3344 View Post
    I was there. Didn't Larson get hurt that very game? Did Johnson hit him? I can't quite remember.

Quote Originally Posted by levydl View Post
    I was there. Didn't Larson get hurt that very game? Did Johnson hit him? I can't quite remember.
    Was that the game where Johnson had 20 K's?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    Was that the game where Johnson had 20 K's?
    No. He did have 11 Ks though, and threw a 2 hitter. August 15, 2002. You can see Larson homers off him in the 2nd, and then is hit by him in the 7th. Here on August 16th, they put him on the DL. Johnson hit him in the toe and broke it.

I thought that game was the turning point for Larson. All those reports about how the laser eye surgery had helped him out and how he had such huge power potential. Its too bad he never good hit consistently

Quote Originally Posted by pitcher7 View Post
    I thought that game was the turning point for Larson. All those reports about how the laser eye surgery had helped him out and how he had such huge power potential. Its too bad he never good hit consistently
    I still think that had the Reds put him in either LF or at 1B and stuck with him that he would have developed. Unfortunately those positions were filled, and he took his struggles at 3B and carried them over into his AB's.

Glad to hear he's doing some what well for himself, supper nice guy.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I read somewhere that Larson recently called a Reds player (Dunn maybe?) and asked for any extra baseball bats he might have.
    Austin Kearns. They were talking about it when we played the Nationals.

The way Kearns hits now, I wouldn't want his wood.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?