Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manny Available?

Manny Available?

MLBtraderumors has this report.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/0...sox-try-t.html

Not sure how to make it work, but if I were the Reds FO, I would rather have Manny for two years at $20M a season, that Dunn at $15+ for 3-5 years.

Dunn, Affeldt and Weathers for Manny? The Red Sox seemed to be willing to just let him go after the season, so I doubt they would want much back for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Manny Available?

They're pretty much the same with their .930 OPS, but done plays better defense and is 7 1/2 years younger.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    They're pretty much the same with their .930 OPS, but done plays better defense and is 7 1/2 years younger.
    First, Manny is a better Left fielder than Dunn. Hands down. He is usually in the top 5 every year in assists, and he is dealing with one of the toughest leftfields in the history of baseball. Funny, I would think that if you thought that Dunn was under-rated as a left fielder, then you you think the same as Manny. Both look slower than they really are.

Second, I will give you the younger part, but Manny's career OPS is nearly 100 points higher than Dunn's. But even if they are the same, Manny's is BA driven and Dunn's is walk driven. Even the biggest stat guru's understand that the same OPS with a higher BA produces more runs.

But stats aside, Dunn will never be the hitter that Manny is. Manny is one of the greatest pure hitters of all time. Even Dunn will tell you that he is not in Manny's league.

Again, I think you point about age is a good one, and one to think hard about. But I still want Manny, even at age 36-38.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

If he can't stay motivated enough to play every day in Boston, where he's got a legit chance for a ring, imagine him in this situation.........

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    If he can't stay motivated enough to play every day in Boston, where he's got a legit chance for a ring, imagine him in this situation.........
    Unfortunately true. He'd be riding Gapper's four-wheeler around the outfield during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1 View Post
    Unfortunately true. He'd be riding Gapper's four-wheeler around the outfield during the game.
    You can bet your bottom dollar Marty would never utter the words "Man, Manny being Manny, man.".
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

horrible idea

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post

If you think "done" with seven sub .500 seasons in 7 years in the bigs is "pretty much the same" as Ramirez with his 2 rings, well, what can I say. That's the sound of thousands of Yankee fans laughing hysterically.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    I'm with you there. He all ready has TWO rings with a chance for a third and he's still pulling crap with Boston. Let some other team deal with him. I don't particularly want to see him in Cincy.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

No No No No No No No

I wonder if Jason Bay could be had, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    If you think "done" with seven sub .500 seasons in 7 years in the bigs is "pretty much the same" as Ramirez with his 2 rings, well, what can I say. That's the sound of thousands of Yankee fans laughing hysterically.
    Speaking of laughing hysterically, this has me rolling.

Here are a few players you may have heard of who never played in a World Series, let along win one:

Rafael Palmeiro
    Andre Dawson
    Ernie Banks
    Billy Williams
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Sammy Sosa

Here's the name of a guy who did win one:

Tony Womack

That's a Jeff Brantley-worthy crap of an argument, this notion that teams win the World Series because they're made up of "winners". Actually, Jeff, they're winners because they won the World Series, and many of the players who win the World Series, like Womack, are in fact, losers. Apparently Barry Bonds was inferior to Manny Ramirez in 2004 when Bonds had a 1.421 OPS, because as we know, Manny won a ring that year, along with 24 other Red Sox players, such as Kevin Millar, Mark Bellhorn, Pokey Reese, Orlando Cabrerra, Gabe Kapler, Bill Mueller, and Trot Nixon.

So yes, they are basically the same guy at this point although as someone indicated above, Manny's AVG makes him slightly more valuable as a hitter, and I like Dunn's chances of repeating his current performance when he is age 29-30 better than Manny repeating his current performance when he is 36-37.

Please think before posting your next argument. If you do, and its anything like the one quoted above, there is no hope for you.

I'm "Dunn".
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

sorry but this is hilarious that people actually think dunn is a better player than manny... HAHAHAHAHA..

they might be somewhat close in some catagories.. but everything else wise.. and total career wise.. NOT EVEN CLOSE..

I think the only issue here is age.

I do think a 36 year old Manny is better than a 29 year old Dunn.

What concerns me is Manny has approached his declining years.

Manny is and has been the better hitter, but do not say that he is better defensively! He is a terrible terrible outfielder that continually gets worse. This junk about assists is a joke... He plays 81 games about 230 feet from home plate. And that wall makes it easier on a defender because you play shallow and all you have to is catch the ball after it falls off the wall. The Manny as a hitter argument isn't even close, but he's such a side show and he's so freaking aloof. Dunn shows up and plays everyday, whether he's healthy or not... Manny not so much. There is something to be said about a player that plays everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    There is something to be said about a player that plays everyday.
    Yeah, it gives Dunn the opportunity to strike out more.

Turn Off Ads?