Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have we jumped the shark for 2008?

Have we jumped the shark for 2008?

This Colorado series has been a disaster for those hoping we could stay in the race (Reds mgt?). Was it in time to convince Jocketty that it is OK to trade some of his Free Agents to be? We clearly will not be making a surge to get back in this thing.

With Weathers, Affeldt, Jr (maybe only to TB), Dunn (still rather resign him), Ross, Valentin, Arroyo (to trade or to keep for next year), we have some guys that should be of interest if we really tried to deal them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Have we jumped the shark for 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    This Colorado series has been a disaster for those hoping we could stay in the race (Reds mgt?). Was it in time to convince Jocketty that it is OK to trade some of his Free Agents to be? We clearly will not be making a surge to get back in this thing.

With Weathers, Affeldt, Jr (maybe only to TB), Dunn (still rather resign him), Ross, Valentin, Arroyo (to trade or to keep for next year), we have some guys that should be of interest if we really tried to deal them.
    time for a rebuild job. this team hasn't jumped the shark because we have never been in contention this year.

I think WJ has known for some time that this team is going nowhere, not even to .500. I suspect his problem has been that what we have to offer is so slightly regarded that it will look like he's getting nothing in return if he is to make a deal. I suspect the takers are a lot fewer than we tend to think.

Yes
    Let's play two!!!

Haunted by walks

It's beyond jumping the shark. It's more like Richie Cunningham's lost brother.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think WJ has known for some time that this team is going nowhere, not even to .500. I suspect his problem has been that what we have to offer is so slightly regarded that it will look like he's getting nothing in return if he is to make a deal. I suspect the takers are a lot fewer than we tend to think.
    I think thats it exactly. We won't get top level prospects, so it will appear to be little more than salary dumps if we move anyone, and that will make momma Cast unhappy.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It's beyond jumping the shark. It's more like Richie Cunningham's lost brother.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I think for August and September ticket sales sake, they were hoping to be at .500 or closer to it. It is a lot easier to sell tickets to a team that has a chance then it was to last years epic failure. Now they can blame being "in it" for not doing anything until now even though they never really were.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Dumb question:

What does "jumping the shark" mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark

As an homage to the famous scene of Fonzie jumping the shark, there is a scene in an Arrested Development episode where Henry Winkler's character hops over a shark.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Dumb question:

What does "jumping the shark" mean?
    Basically, it's when something that has been extremely popular outlives its popularity. Since the 2008 Reds were never very popular, there's no way they could jump the shark. They're more like "Joanie Loves Chachi", most people don't even know they exist.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Jump the shark?

More like: Got to the top of the ramp, tripped, fell into the water and got eaten by the shark.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Not possible to jump the shark when things were never going well in the first place.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Not possible to jump the shark when things were never going well in the first place.
    You have to have gas in the tank before the motorcycle can jump the shark.
    /r/reds

The Reds jumped a couple of months ago. We're just now looking back and realizing it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?