Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds going after Laird

Reds going after Laird

The Rangers activated Gerald Laird off the disabled list on Saturday after he missed a month because of a pulled hamstring muscle. He made his first start on Sunday and continues to draw interest from both the Reds and the Yankees. The Rangers want top young pitching prospects in return and that's keeping any deal from getting done right now.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/
    by the way he is 2-2 today with his average up to .314
    Last edited by redhawk61; 07-27-2008 at 05:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds going after Laird

If the Rangers don't lower their asking price, Laird is going no where. The Yankees would be better off with Molina/Moeller than parting with more prospects for Laird.

I am not a big fan of giving up resources to get a catcher. I think Hanigan or Tatum should be fine next year, and if not, I am sure that the Reds can pick some one up at the end of spring training for next to nothing. Heck, I'd take LaRue back if I had to. Catching is a defensive position.
    If Laird can be had for a B prospect, then okay, but there is no need to give up a top 10 prospect for him.

The problem is that 3 teams are actively looking for a Catcher in the Reds, Marlins and Yankees with really very few young or long term options available. Texas will get a iop 10 guy for hum just becasue of how the market is right now

I'm not so sure about that. The market isnt that strong. The Marlins want one as their first priority but knowing the organization i doubt they'd give up a top ten prospect. The Yanks and Reds certainly wont. It'll take a lower asking price...IF a deal is to be done.

I agree with whoever said bring up Hanigan. What can it hurt? He has a good reputation defensively, and last I checked, was at least able to put the bat on the ball, which would be more than adequate for a defensive upgrade finally.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I'll throw a name out there: Damon Berryhill.

Old Red Guard Reject

I don't see much difference in Laird and Ross other than age and salary - for now - Laird will get an arbitration raise. Why give up prospects for a minimal upgrade?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Laird has definitely been a guy on my radar for the REDS.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Sure he can get him and over pay to do so. Then he'll get over here and under preform or get hurt. It's better to bring up our farmhands or go get a really good quality player. Laird does not fall into that category in my opinion. I would rather see a move for Teagarden.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

If we are going after a catcher from the Rangers my preference would also be Taylor Teagarden. Young, solid defensive catcher matching our young solid pitching staff. This way they'll grow into CHAMPIONS together.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRed44 View Post
    If we are going after a catcher from the Rangers my preference would also be Taylor Teagarden. Young, solid defensive catcher matching our young solid pitching staff. This way they'll grow into CHAMPIONS together.
    Check out Teagarden's level summary:

LEVEL.....OPS
    A-..........1.061
    A+.........1.054
    AA......... .775
    AAA....... .772

Great defensive catcher, but looks like he might have hit a wall at AA.

I am for Teagarden and outfielder Nelson Cruz

Unfortunately, we would have to give up a lot more for Teegarden then for Laird. Maybe the Reds could trade for Laird, then swing deals to get rid of Bako and Ross. Would leave us back with 2 catchers, Hanigan waiting in the wings if needed, and would allow more roster versatility.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I'll throw a name out there: Damon Berryhill.
    I'll see your Damon Berryhill and raise you a Hector Villanueva.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Turn Off Ads?