Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Re: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'd want Teagarden or Ramierez for Homer
    Absolutely. Laird would only get an A ball pitcher, imo, and he wouldn't be named Lotzkar.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rosenthal talked to one club official who finds a 50% chance of Gerald Laird or Jarrod Saltalamacchia being traded before the deadline. The Rangers want young pitching.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Come on Walt, offer up Homer Bailey and a lesser prospect for Salty. That would take care of the catching situation for the next five years.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Rosenthal talked to one club official who finds a 50% chance of Gerald Laird or Jarrod Saltalamacchia being traded before the deadline. The Rangers want young pitching.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Come on Walt, offer up Homer Bailey and a lesser prospect for Salty. That would take care of the catching situation for the next five years.
    yep, I'd do that too.

Raisor,
    I'd be very surprised if WJ hasn't made precisely that offer. Problem is getting the Rangers to believe Homer is worth it.

Salty's a terrible catcher. I wouldn't mind giving them Bailey and Votto for Salty and AA or higher bullpen arm, and play Salty at first base.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Salty's a terrible catcher. I wouldn't mind giving them Bailey and Votto for Salty, and play Salty at first base.
    Salty's bat doesn't project as well at first base. And no thanks on trading Votto for him as that would be a step down. I'd trade Homer and a lesser prospect for him but not Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Salty's a terrible catcher. I wouldn't mind giving them Bailey and Votto for Salty and AA or higher bullpen arm, and play Salty at first base.
    Votto? Votto is better than Salty by himself.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Votto? Votto is better than Salty by himself.
    I thought he projected better with the bat. Never mind. I have no interest in Salty--just looked at his numbers. Can't catch; can't hit either.

Heck, just send the Rockies a bullpen arm for Torrealba and be done with it. At least we'd have great defense if nothing else.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

If Saltalamacchia can catch well enough to stay behind the plate, he'll be one of the best hitting catchers in the NL. He showed good patience in the minors, and his power stroke is developing.

Teagarden is the one to target, but he's still at least two years away from being a productive major leaguer.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'll take Volquez over an outfielder who is an average player at best away from home.
    You'd better take out EV's home splits then too?

Can't hit lefties. Check
    Can't play center. Check.
    Injury Prone. Check.

and now...
    can't hit on the road.

The good thing is that by a year from now it will be, "can't hit loogies when behind in the count in Comiskey Park in May"

Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    You'd better take out EV's home splits then too?

Can't hit lefties. Check
    Can't play center. Check.
    Injury Prone. Check.

and now...
    can't hit on the road.

The good thing is that by a year from now it will be, "can't hit loogies when behind in the count in Comiskey Park in May"

Volquez has pitched well at home and on the road.

I'm a big fan of Josh Hamilton, I think he's a remarkable story but I also think he's starting to become a bit overrated. People talk about him like he's the best player in the game...he's not, heck, he's not even the best or even second best player on the Rangers IMO, as that belongs to Ian Kinsler and Milton Bradley. Our own Adam Dunn is OPSing 25 points higher than Hamilton despite not having as many good hitters around him as Hamilton does. Josh is an awesome player but I'd take Volquez over Hamilton any day of the week.

Hamilton has been very good, no doubt. But normalize his RBI opportunities and he's just another very good player. If he had 75 RBI, nobody would be talking him up as the best player in the league. Pat Burrell has easily been a better player than Hamilton, and he didn't even make the all-star team. Ian Kinsler has been more productive than Hamilton, as has Milton Bradley, when he's played. PA for PA, Hamilton is the 3rd best batter on his own team -- and yet Hamilton is being called the front runner for MVP.

It's ironic, but for all the complaining conventional types do about stat-heads ruining the game, the inane focus on "real stats" like batting average and RBI really detracts from our ability to appreciate the contributions of players in proper proportion.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Hamilton has been very good, no doubt. But normalize his RBI opportunities and he's just another very good player. If he had 75 RBI, nobody would be talking him up as the best player in the league. Pat Burrell has easily been a better player than Hamilton, and he didn't even make the all-star team. Ian Kinsler has been more productive than Hamilton, as has Milton Bradley, when he's played. PA for PA, Hamilton is the 3rd best batter on his own team -- and yet Hamilton is being called the front runner for MVP.

It's ironic, but for all the complaining conventional types do about stat-heads ruining the game, the inane focus on "real stats" like batting average and RBI really detracts from our ability to appreciate the contributions of players in proper proportion.
    How about the inane focus on defense? Because if you can watch Pat Burrell and Josh Hamilton play the game and conclude Burrell is the better player, then I'd say you're watching a different game. Better hitter? Maybe, although it's arguable. More statistically favorable offensive player? Burrell's got him there.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Perhaps a compelling case can be made for Burrell having a better season at the plate thus far but it's difficult to argue that Burrell is a better player IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I like Laird and think he'd probably give the Reds a quality primary backstop for the next couple of years (his OB and SLG percentages this season reflect the kind of work he can do, IMO), provided he can stay healthy. That last one is a major concern because he's never healthy for long.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?