Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

The Rangers activated Gerald Laird off the disabled list on Saturday after he missed a month because of a pulled hamstring muscle. He made his first start on Sunday and continues to draw interest from both the Reds and the Yankees. The Rangers want top young pitching prospects in return and that's keeping any deal from getting done right now.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Laird would be an upgrade, but if its a top young pitcher, I'd want Teagarden. A guy like Travis Wood for Laird would be ok.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I prefer Teagarden but I'd settle for Laird.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Salty. Doable?

I don't understand this at all. The grass is greener on the other side, I guess.

Gerald Laird, 28: 1064 AB, .257/.308/.387
    Dave Ross, 31: 1095 AB, .226/.312/.443

Well, I guess he hits for a higher batting average. That should make some people happy, even if he's not actually an upgrade. Reds baseball -- gotta love it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I prefer Teagarden but I'd settle for Laird.
    Eighther one of Teagarden or Laird would be a huge improvement to what we've got.

Neighther one of our catchers is very good behind the plate.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 07-27-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't understand this at all. The grass is greener on the other side, I guess.

Well, I guess he hits for a higher batting average. That should make some people happy, even if he's not actually an upgrade. Reds baseball -- gotta love it.
    Laird can actually catch the ball. Ross not so much. Since the position is called Catcher, that's important.

Sorry for the snark. I like your posts, but can't wait for Ross to be out from behind the plate in Cincy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Laird can actually catch the ball. Ross not so much. Since the position is called Catcher, that's important.
    Without getting into the specifics of Laird's defense versus Ross', because I don't know enough about Laird to have an educated opinion, I agree in principle. Catcher is not a spot where I just wave my hand and say "play whoever hits better."
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Without getting into the specifics of Laird's defense versus Ross', because I don't know enough about Laird to have an educated opinion, I agree in principle. Catcher is not a spot where I just wave my hand and say "play whoever hits better."
    Please, please don't bring Laird to town to be the starting catcher. I watch a lot of Ranger games and truly believe he is only marginally better than Ross. Both are basically nice back ups but not the kind you want catching 130 games a year.

Bringing in Laird would be a lateral move.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Please, please don't bring Laird to town to be the starting catcher. I watch a lot of Ranger games and truly believe he is only marginally better than Ross. Both are basically nice back ups but not the kind you want catching 130 games a year.

Sounds like you've seen him more than me, so I'll stand corrected. Its hard to swallow though, IMO anybody has to be better than Ross back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post

I agree with this. He's an upgrade over Ross, but it's not substantial. He's certainly not worth giving up a top pitching prospect for.

So who, of the 3 catchers in Texas, would be the realistic upgrade for the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Sorry for the snark. I like your posts, but can't wait for Ross to be out from behind the plate in Cincy.
    I agree, Ross is a pretty poor receiver, but at the end of the day, overall production and the overall level of talent in the organization is what I care about.

If all you want is a guy who can catch the ball, I don't necessarily disagree with that approach. But we've got a few of those in the minor leagues. There's no need to give up talent in a trade for a catch-and-throw catcher.

Release Javy, call up Hannigan, Tatum or whoever our best defensive catcher is these days. If I trade talent away, I would want to actually fix a hole in the team, not merely shift the problem from defense to offense.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-27-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Given the catcher stable in Texas of Salty, Teagarden, Max Ramirez and Laird, the one that I would not really want is Laird. I hope the Reds set their sights higher. Teagarden really ought to be available.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

He's different. And different is better. Right?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?