Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Re: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If all you want is a guy who can catch the ball, we've got a few of those in the minor leagues. There's no need to give up pitching talent in a trade for a catch-and-throw catcher.
    I'm ready for that to happen. Ross is dreadful.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    So who, of the 3 catchers in Texas, would be the realistic upgrade for the Reds?
    Max Ramirez projects as an offensive minded catcher with 25-30 homerun power but his defense isn't great. Taylor Teagarden is considered a Gold Glove caliber defender and projects as an average to maybe slightly above average hitter. Salty has a nice bat but I don't think his defense is considered to be all that great. Laird is a solid defender but is the oldest of the bunch at 28. Teagarden is the guy I like the most...I'd trade Homer + Jukich for him or maybe even Daryl Thompson straight up.

Teagarden, based on what I'm reading, is the guy they should be targeting then....

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm ready for that to happen. Ross is dreadful.
    To what end? So we can complain about something else while still losing 85 games?

We need to patch holes, not shuffle deck chairs.

Ross isn't the answer; But neither is Gerald Laird.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think a better catcher is the place to start when it comes to upgrading the defense. I know there aren't range factors and other stats to go on, but this team needs to improve defensively. Losing the bats of the guys behind the plate will be no big loss, so it should be a place that can be upgraded without hurting the offense much.

If it saves a couple of Million bucks for use elsewhere, that's a nice bonus.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'm partial to a Bailey-Salty deal. I think it makes a lot of sense on both sides of the equation. Admidettly his defense is shaky, but I think in time it will be adequate. I am really high on his bat, and that should well make up for his possible defensive shortcomings. Teagarden obviously is better defensively, but I seriously question whether his bat can be anything better than back-up. Salty is the guy I'm targeting. His bat is ready, he's 23, with lots of room for growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I'm partial to a Bailey-Salty deal. I think it makes a lot of sense on both sides of the equation. Admidettly his defense is shaky, but I think in time it will be adequate. I am really high on his bat, and that should well make up for his possible defensive shortcomings. Teagarden obviously is better defensively, but I seriously question whether his bat can be anything better than back-up. Salty is the guy I'm targeting. His bat is ready, he's 23, with lots of room for growth.
    If the Reds let Dunn walk, Salty at 1B and Votto in LF may be an option with a decent defensive catcher.

I think he'll stick at catcher long term. At first base his bat doesn't project to be a huge plus, instead just adequate. IMO, he needs to stick at catcher to be a very valuable commodity.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Salty?????

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The Rangers want top young pitching prospects in return and that's keeping any deal from getting done right now.
    Well they ain't getting Volquez back!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'd send them Volquez back for a certain outfielder they have.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Ian Kinsler is a middle infielder though.

They can keep Kinsler, if we can have Josh.

I'll take Volquez over Hamilton, if they throw in Kinsler AND Hamilton we can talk.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    No thanks. I'll take Volquez over an outfielder who is an average player at best away from home.

Turn Off Ads?