Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Re: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    How about the inane focus on defense? Because if you can watch Pat Burrell and Josh Hamilton play the game and conclude Burrell is the better player, then I'd say you're watching a different game. Better hitter? Maybe, although it's arguable. More statistically favorable offensive player? Burrell's got him there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo
    Perhaps a compelling case can be made for Burrell having a better season at the plate thus far but it's difficult to argue that Burrell is a better player IMHO.
    Fair enough, I should have been more specific. The point still stands in so far as Hamilton's RBI total is garnering him disproportionate attention. And even with defense included, the gap in perception is disproportionate to the gap in reality. I'd still make the case for Kinsler being the overall more productive of the two.

How is Hamilton's CF defense looking? Because if he's a poor CF, good RF that narrows the gap considerably.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-28-2008 at 01:44 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Too right on the Hamilton thing - I mean Brantly and Brennaman were going on like he was the second coming and it would be a travesty if he wasn't the AL MVP.

On the catching situation it would seem that there is no real difference between what the REDS have now. Also what's going to happen when Laird is acquired - the four headed catching montser?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    ... Problem is getting the Rangers to believe Homer is worth it.
    The problem should be getting the Reds to believe Saltalamacchia is worth it. He has also been a big a disappointment.

I prefer Saltalamacchia to Laird, but wouldn't trade Bailey for him. I think he will develop basically into another Eddie Taubensee and not much more. He will put up Eddie T's offensive numbers and throw out about 10% of baserunners attempting to steal. A team could win with him behind the plate for 120 games.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    The problem should be getting the Reds to believe Saltalamacchia is worth it. He has also been a big a disappointment.

I prefer Saltalamacchia to Laird, but wouldn't trade Bailey for him. I think he will develop basically into another Eddie Taubensee and not much more. He will put up Eddie T's offensive numbers and throw out about 10% of baserunners attempting to steal. A team could win with him behind the plate for 120 games.
    I could live with that, if the backup is a solid defense-first receiver (like Brook Fordyce was for Taubensee). Could somebody more familiar with the farm system than I am tell me if Ryan Hanigan is that kind of player?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Bailey for Teagarden?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Bailey for Teagarden?
    I hear laughter from Dallas
    Go Gators!

If you look at Walt's history with StL, he has gone after defensive catchers like Matheny and Molina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If you look at Walt's history with StL, he has gone after defensive catchers like Matheny and Molina.
    Laird is thought of as a solid defensive catcher ... none of the other three really fill that bill.

Offer some non-prospects for Laird, it might work.

BTW, I'd do Bailey for Laird

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Laird is thought of as a solid defensive catcher ... none of the other three really fill that bill.

Offer some non-prospects for Laird, it might work.

I believe Teagarden is considered to be a strong defensive catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I believe Teagarden is considered to be a strong defensive catcher.
    stuff I have read is that there are concerns about his arm after the TJ surgery. Seems to me that Laird would be the cheapest to acquire in terms of prospects.

This is from Ken Rosenthal. Marlins are very interested in Laird but the Reds are still on the list but would probably have to give up a young pitcher to get him.

The Marlins are the most aggressive suitor for Rangers catcher Gerald Laird, but add the Brewers to the list of interested clubs, which also includes the Reds and Yankees.
    Brewers GM Doug Melvin acquired Laird for the Rangers in 2002, and Laird would be a strong complement to Jason Kendall, who needs to start only 16 more games to guarantee his vesting option for next season.

The Rangers are seeking a young starting pitcher in return for Laird, and also fielding calls on their other catcher, Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

The Marlins, according to the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, are considering three catchers besides Laird: The Giants' Bengie Molina, Orioles' Ramon Hernandez and Pirates' Ryan Doumit.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

How is Salty at 1B?

Move Votto to the outfield when Dunn and/or Griffey are gone this offseason...

Just thinking out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    How is Salty at 1B?
    not sure how well his bat will play there ... the Reds need a catcher, Walt needs to make it happen.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    As would I.

Doesn't Laird have a .697 lifetime OPS?

Turn Off Ads?