Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Reds one of two teams pursuing Gerald Laird

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Doesn't Laird have a .697 lifetime OPS?
    Why yes, he does.

I have a lot of questions about whether I want Laird as our everyday C. He's 28 years old and really never been a starter until this year- and I think the Rangers are buffing him up to trade him because they know they have Salty and Teagarden in the wings. I'm thinking Jason LaRue. Didn't we just do that, and it didn't work out that well?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lairdge01.shtml

He has below average fielding percentage and range factor, as compared to the rest of the league.

I'd pass.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm really not sold on Laird. He's around a .740-.750 OPS type of bat with slightly above average defense. That makes him an okay starting catcher, but considering his service time I don't see him as a long term asset. If he was a few years younger I could get on board with him being a solution to the glaring problem.

As such, I don't have interest in moving Bailey for him. By the time the Reds look to be a contender, Laird will be making some decent coin. That's why I'd prefer Salty, he'll be affordable for awhile, and I think his bat will be pretty special at catcher. He makes sense in the long term aspect, and because of it, dealing a decent chip like Bailey would be palatable. Bailey is still a good chip IMO, and either needs to be kept to patiently develop, or put towards a long term need. Laird does not address that.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 07-29-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I'm really not sold on Laird. He's around a .740-.750 OPS type of bat with slightly above average defense. That makes him an okay starting catcher, but considering his service time I don't see him as a long term asset. If he was a few years younger I could get on board with him being a solution to the glaring problem.

As such, I don't have interest in moving Bailey for him. By the time the Reds look to be a contender, Laird will be making some decent coin. That's why I'd prefer Salty, he'll be affordable for awhile, and I think his bat will be pretty special at catcher. He makes sense in the long term aspect, and because of it, dealing a decent chip like Bailey would be palatable. Bailey is still a good chip IMO, and either needs to be kept to patiently develop, or put towards a long term need. Laird does not address that.
    Agreed with it all. I wouldn't mind Laird but I prefer Salty by a mile.

Salty makes sense to me, Laird does not. If Salty comes up a bit short defensively his bat will make up for it. Laird doesn't have the defense to make up for a lackluster bat. If it's him or Torrealba - no thanks. I'd rather put Hanigan back there and spend the bullets on other needs.

Forget all of these guys---get me Russell Martin. The Dodgers can have EdE plus two of the following three: Baily, Thompson, Maloney.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Forget all of these guys---get me Russell Martin. The Dodgers can have EdE plus two of the following three: Baily, Thompson, Maloney.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Rem
    I think the Reds have a better job of acquiring Dodger Stadium and moving it to the banks of the Ohio River than they do prying Russell Martin loose.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I think the Reds have a better job of acquiring Dodger Stadium and moving it to the banks of the Ohio River than they do prying Russell Martin loose.
    I think you've both got that right. Russ Martin is the best catcher in the game today and I'm pretty sure the Dodgers know it. Hopefully, someone will say that about Dev Mesoraco and the Reds one day.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?