Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long will Walt's honeymoon last?

How long will Walt's honeymoon last?

Whenever someone takes over a position at the top whether it be a coach or GM they are usually given a grace period. How long will this grace period be for Walt?

My guess is that it is over after the trade deadline.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How long will Walt's honeymoon last?

The interesting thing is since Walt has taken over for Krivsky, he has made zero moves (unless you count him being slightly more aggressive with a few minor leaguers and signing Rob Machoviak). Outside of that, he's pretty must been status quo.

It makes you wonder if Wayne were still here if he would've found any hidden gems or tried to make any moves during the time that Walt hasn't.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If Castellini didn't know and trust Walt, he'd probably be given a year and a half to demonstrate that he was righting the ship. As long as things don't slip drastically, I'd figure Walt gets 2-3 years to demonstrate that.

Frankly, I'm more interested in seeing how long Dusty's honeymoon lasts. I don't see him getting more than a season of honeymoon.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    If Castellini didn't know and trust Walt, he'd probably be given a year and a half to demonstrate that he was righting the ship. As long as things don't slip drastically, I'd figure Walt gets 2-3 years to demonstrate that.

Frankly, I'm more interested in seeing how long Dusty's honeymoon lasts. I don't see him getting more than a season of honeymoon.
    I think Dusty's honeymoon is going to be shorter than Walt's because of fan approval. Walt has a track record to fall back on with the fans from his days in St. Louis. All fans can remember about Dusty is that he ruined Prior and wood. If Walt doesn't make any moves at the deadline the fans may get restless.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

They call me "chef"

We need Walt to get us our Tino Martinez/Will Clark so we can win 20 games in a row and win the wild card.

I BELIEVE IN WALT JOCKERTY.

When is the losing gonna stop is what I would like to know.
    Go Gators!

Walt and Dusty are going nowhere except GABP. Frankly, I'm glad they don't have itchy fingers with the roster. Walt is learning the Reds players and prospects, planning his moves, and will act. Maybe starting at the deadline, more likely in the off-season.

My guess is that Walt will be trading current Reds players and prospects for proven major league talent. But whatever he does, I'm sure that by now he has a plan and will execute it.

Jocketty is not just some guy that you cut loose after a few months. His honeymoon will last several years, probably as long as he feels like keeping this job.

Walt wil be active in the off season.. this season is a wash after this weekend.. this team gets to 3 games under .500 and then go on a losing swoon.. sucks it always happens, but it reflects on the coaching staff..Walt will be graded on what he does up to spring training 2009..

Checkpoint one happens this week.

Checkpoint two happens this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Walt has a track record to fall back on with the fans from his days in St. Louis.
    But Dorothy's not in Kansas anymore.

I'm fully behind Walt. But just because he had a sound track record while at St. Louis does not mean he is going to replicate that in Cincy. But it does put that added pressure on him, by the Cincy fans, to do so. And obviously to do so overnight. Look at some of the pressure (and criticism) the guy was getting in the first few weeks of his tenure because he hadn't made any deals/trades? Yet those leveling those charges seemed to completely ignore the fact that teams don't make deals, at least not of any significance, in May and June. They like to use the closeness of the trading deadline, and a team's urgency, to get the best deal possible.

Now if Walt doesn't make any deals before the trading deadline next week the "honeymoon" is over.

Silly, silly Red's fans who are more ruled by their emotions then rationale.

If you don't have the trading chips to begin with, or if other GMs are not offering you anything of worth for whatever players they may have shown interest in, then that's Walt's fault for not somehow "manufacturing" one (or two) in order to appease the "angry mob"?

If there is no marker for your players, then what is he to do?

His best chances to make his mark is on the off-season IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

What this organization really needs is some stability and continuity.

My hope is that Walt Jocketty and (yes) Dusty Baker are here for years and years. Of course, that means Dusty is making all the right moves on the field and Walt making the right decisions off the field.

Change is not always good- we have vast experience with that here lately. Sometimes too much change will just make you dizzy. We've had 2 owners, 5 GM's and I've lost track of how many managers- permanent and interim- all since 2003.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think Dusty's honeymoon is going to be shorter than Walt's because of fan approval. Walt has a track record to fall back on with the fans from his days in St. Louis. All fans can remember about Dusty is that he ruined Prior and wood. If Walt doesn't make any moves at the deadline the fans may get restless.
    Explain the math to me here. Twelve out of fourteen years as a successful manager (3 1st place finishes, six 2nd place finishes - including winning the NL title in one) doesn't stand up to 13 years for Jocketty with six division titles (2 NL championships and one WS victory). Not exactly the same, but I would suggest that Baker has had nearly the same success as Jocketty and yet he continues to be hounded for a season when two pitchers who many believe would have fallen apart for whoever their manager was. I really don't get it. Perceptions becomes reality?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

i would be happy if they would let dick pole go. it seems with all the changes that have been made he is still here and the same crap happens with the pitching.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Depends. This is an organization in need of a shakeup. Most of the more expendable parts are free-agents-to-be and/or have litle value. If Dunn, Junior and Arroyo are gone there will be some financial flexibility and there may be a useful starter or two within the Reds reach.

At a minimum, this team needs to add a starting C and a solid OF bat who can also play soild D (can be a corner or CF). The bench needs to be re-vmaped wityh ore punch too (at least one solid bat from each side) and an all-around SS would be welcome (but not as high a priority, IMO). Another solid reliever is always handy for competition, but will become a necessity if Affeldt & Lincoln aren't re-upped.

I think Jocketty has at least three years in Castellini's eyes, but for the restless fanbase, I think the look of the roster come the start of Spring Training will be a watershed.

How wisely WJ spends in FA and how he is able to acquire talent without creating new holes in the young nucleus of this team by then will determine the length of the honeymoon.

For me the honeymoon ends if he doesn't get Yonder Alonso signed by August 15th. It will get real ugly if he doesn't
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?