Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How long will Walt's honeymoon last?

Re: How long will Walt's honeymoon last?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Seriously?

I mean -- I've followed sports for a long time and I don't think I can ever recall an owner divesting himself of the team or stepping down as owner simply because the product on the field is no good.
    The chief executive officer does not have to divest of his holdings within an organization to step down.

I don't recall mentioning "simply because the product on the field is no good" I looked and I just don't see that anywhere on here. Where did you get that, seriously ?

In all your years of following sports how many have you heard make the comments that Castellini has?

What do I know, the man said he would fire himself, but then again he has stated many other things too that has not come true. Time will tell.

"If we don't get this worked out, I'm liable to fire myself someday," Castellini said.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-29-2008 at 01:45 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    In all your years of following sports how many have you heard make the comments that Castellini has?

What do I know, the man said he would fire himself, but then again he has stated many other things too that has not come true. Time will tell.
    Unlike the Joker, Castellini is not a man of his word.

The honeymoon ended (for Walt, at least) when Jocketty got the bride to the honeymoon suite, got her undressed and realized that she was a he.

This is not a good team that he inherited. The chips that he has to trade are buffalo chips and the other GM's out there know they've got him over a barrel so they're not exactly showering him with temptation.

Walt's biggest problem may very well be Castellini, who says he wants to win now and is coming off as a Steinbrenner wanta' be. With that kind of aggrivation the fans would be peaches and cream.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Unlike the Joker, Castellini is not a man of his word.
    He is under a lot of pressure and stress, we will have to take his spin doctoring and marketing puffery with a grain of salt, and just pay attention to the results that his organization has achieved since 2006 and continues to achieve in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    The honeymoon ended (for Walt, at least) when Jocketty got the bride to the honeymoon suite, got her undressed and realized that she was a he.

This is not a good team that he inherited. The chips that he has to trade are buffalo chips and the other GM's out there know they've got him over a barrel so they're not exactly showering him with temptation.

Walt's biggest problem may very well be Castellini, who says he wants to win now and is coming off as a Steinbrenner wanta' be. With that kind of aggrivation the fans would be peaches and cream.

Rem
    Solid, well said.

How was he suppose to improve the offense ?
    How was he suppose to improve the starting pitching?
    How was he suppose to improve the relief pitching?
    How was he suppose to improve the minor league system?
    I don't get it...he wasn't supposed to improve those? He was supposed to improve the team. Just like any other GM.

Phillips
    Hamilton
    Hatteberg
    Keppinger
    Votto

What's wrong with those offensive improvements under the impoverished budget that Castellini puts out?
    Let me know how those guys improved the offense. Don't give me their stats...give me evidence of the offense improving with those additions. With those names being added to guys like Encarnacion, Dunn and Griffey, this offense should have been rockin and rollin.

And Krivsky had money to spend during his tenure. He just didn't spend it wisely. I wouldn't call it an "impoverished budget" at all. Anytime you spend the most money ever on a FA reliever, your budget is anything but impoverished.

Now tell me about the pitching and defense, that you skipped over.

RS RA for the Reds and the competitors, I know what type of offense the Reds had and pitching and defense and I know what the Reds paid for it.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 07-29-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Whenever someone takes over a position at the top whether it be a coach or GM they are usually given a grace period. How long will this grace period be for Walt?

My guess is that it is over after the trade deadline.
    I don't think Walt was ever given a honeymoon, at least by half the board

Personally, I give him until opening day 2009 to show some progress.

I'm not going to base my opinion of him based on whether he decides to trade Weathers/Ross or some other junk at the deadline. That's going to be inconsequential either way.

Let's see what he does in the offseason, when he has a chance to remake the club.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Walt obviously deserves a couple years to build his team but I've gotta say, I'm going to be pretty ticked if he doesn't make any moves before the deadline. Affeldt, Weathers, and Ross are all rumored to be drawing interested from teams and should be dealt IMO. Losing those three doesn't hurt the team.
    Actually, it does hurt the team. If Weathers and Affedlt are dealt for prospects, the team needs two bodies to pitch about 80 innings (or whatever)out of the pen for the rest of the year. Coffey and Maj can absorb some of those innings (not desirable, but possible).. Who is going to absorb the rest?

I'm all for trading a reliever for a decent prospect, but not for junk. I really doubt that Weathers and Affeldt are worth a decent prospect though. If the Reds were contending, would you be happy if we dealt Thompson or Roinoake for a guy identical to Weathers? Of course you wouldn't.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

As I've mentioned before, if Jeff Conine can net Sean Henry, then Affeldt and Weathers could net something decent.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Actually, it does hurt the team. If Weathers and Affedlt are dealt for prospects, the team needs two bodies to pitch about 80 innings (or whatever)out of the pen for the rest of the year. Coffey and Maj can absorb some of those innings (not desirable, but possible).. Who is going to absorb the rest?

I'm all for trading a reliever for a decent prospect, but not for junk. I really doubt that Weathers and Affeldt are worth a decent prospect though. If the Reds were contending, would you be happy if we dealt Thompson or Roinoake for a guy identical to Weathers? Of course you wouldn't.
    Who said anything about landing a big prospect in return? Just trade Weathers for a prospect and callup Roenicke to replace him. Like Buckeye mentioned, Jeff Conine netted Sean Henry. Calvin Medlock netted Shaun Cumberland as a throw in to the Cantu deal. Robert Manuel was acquired for Dave Williams. Affeledt and Weathers won't bring a huge return but they could definitely bring back a decent prospect.

Who said anything about landing a big prospect in return? Just trade Weathers for a prospect and callup Roenicke to replace him. Like Buckeye mentioned, Jeff Conine netted Sean Henry. Calvin Medlock netted Shaun Cumberland as a throw in to the Cantu deal. Robert Manuel was acquired for Dave Williams. Affeledt and Weathers won't bring a huge return but they could definitely bring back a decent prospect.
    How does moving Weathers for a future Belisle help the team though? Maybe it saves Bob a little cash, but so what?

If Roenicke is ready now, just demote Maj or Coffey and call him up.. It's not as if there's no room on the roster for a talented rookie.

I remember people praising the prospects we got back for Willaimson, Tucker, and Todd Walker.. It's the nature of fans to always be optimistic about prospects they recieved, but the reality is that we didn't get squat for any of these players. Now I agree that Weathers has less value than the players I listed above, but dumping him just for the sake of dumping him just teaches clubs that you can lowball Walt for his talent at the deadline.

We really don't want to get a reputation like Pittsburg. It's a given that they will always dump their more expensive players at the deadline for the best offer, even if the best offer isn't worth doing.

How does moving Weathers for a future Belisle help the team though? Maybe it saves Bob a little cash, but so what?
    Why do you keep saying that? Why is every prospect a future Belisle in your eyes?

Why do you keep saying that? Why is every prospect a future Belisle in your eyes?
    I'm just saying that unless you get a guy that projects to be useful for Weathers, we might as well keep Weathers.

For example, Sullivan for Hummel was a dumb trade. Hummel had a zero chance of being even adequate as a bench player.

I'd be ok with trading Weathers for an toolsy athletic guy that may or may not ever hit. That's an ok risk. But I'm opposed to trading him for junk. Same goes for Fogg too.

If Walt can get something decent for Weathers, by all means trade him. My point though is that some folks are going to be mad if Weathers and Affedlt aren't traded. IMO, if only junk is offered, Walt needs to hold them.

And I hate to bring this up again, but there's always the possibility that the Reds could get draft pick compensation if they hold on to Weathers and offer him arbitration.

Personally, I give him until opening day 2009 to show some progress.
    Define "progress",

Don't forget the competition is out there already ahead of the Reds in the results standings, with greater player resources, and financial resources, working to improve their own situations. Does this "progress" show significant or substantive improvements toward defeating the competition in the Central ? If not then where is the "progress" _________ ? What year ________?

Turn Off Ads?