Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Reds Related Rumors

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Reds Related Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'm willing to give the team/Jocketty a break - at least until the waiver trade deadline. He got more than I would have dreamed for KGJ and if the reports that the Reds and PaleHose are basically splitting his $$$ for the remainder of this year and the buyout, he save about $6M for the offseason.

If he wasn't being offered anything of value real (which I can believe) for our remaining pieces, then he was right not to act. Waiver deals seem to have become somewhat easier over the last few years.

The fact that Weathers, Affedlt, Majewski, Ross and even Dunn are still here today does not mean they will remain so come the end of the month. (I'd be willing to bet that one won't ). As a matter of fact, as the season gets shorter and pretenders fall by the wayside, a true contender might be willing to ante up something better than they were 24 hours ago if it fillls a hole.

For the record...today was far from boring, I retract my comments

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    For the record...today was far from boring, I retract my comments
    I was willing to give you a break too.

Did anyone hear any good rumors today?

I was working all day, but I heard around noon from someone with "a relative in the front office" (you know how that goes), that Arroyo was likely to be gone by tomorrow, and the same person told me there was a blockbuster with Texas in the works around 1:30. Obviously it didn't go through, but when he shared it with me, all I could say was "Holy Sh*T if that's true!". I'm not sure if it is worth mentioning since it didn't happen, but I'll share if folks would like.

Same source also told me the Reds were into serious discussions about giving Dunn a 3 year extension.
    Last edited by buckeyenut; 07-31-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Did anyone hear any good rumors today?

I was working all day, but I heard around noon from someone with "a relative in the front office" (you know how that goes), that Arroyo was likely to be gone by tomorrow, and the same person told me there was a blockbuster with Texas in the works around 1:30. Obviously it didn't go through, but when he shared it with me, all I could say was "Holy Sh*T if that's true!". I'm not sure if it is worth mentioning since it didn't happen, but I'll share if folks would like.

Same source also told me the Reds were into serious discussions about giving Dunn a 3 year extension.
    I'd love to hear what you buckeyenut. I'd also be extremely pleased if that were true about AD too.

It wouldn't surprise me though. I'd about given hope they would retain him a month ago, but his recent play may well have forced there hand. I'd also be pleased if it were for three years also (maybe with an option. for a 4th).

Tying-up dollars in him for 5 or 6 years makes me nervous. A shorter deal gives them a chance to develop options without him (if necessary). Besides, you can always negotiate another extension. I'd really be kihnd of surprised it he didn't insist on more years though'.

Letting AD walk would leave a gaping hole to fill in the offense and take up trade resources that could be used elsewhere (CF, C, SS, more pitching).

The big rumor I heard was Bronson Arroyo and Homer Bailey to Texas for ... Josh Hamilton.

Seems a little far-fetched for any number of reasons, but you can logically make the argument for it for both teams if you try. Would have been a PR nightmare for Texas probably, which might ultimately be why it didn't go through, that and neither team had a reason to pull the trigger on a deal like that right now. But it could be revisited in the offseason.

Whether your source is actually a viable source or not, the Dunn extension talks really aren't too surprising. I've always thought the Jocketty "we will not discuss extensions during the season" line is moreso to keep the media out of the way while discussions are ongoing. If both parties tell the media there's nothing going on and the media isn't bothering the team and the player, then it's not nearly such a large distraction.

All that said, it wouldn't be shocking at all to hear Dunn inking an extension this September.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

The big rumor I heard was Bronson Arroyo and Homer Bailey to Texas for ... Josh Hamilton.
    The Rangers would be absolute fools to approve such a deal, sounds like something the Reds floated and then heard nothing but hysterical laughter in response.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Whether your source is actually a viable source or not, the Dunn extension talks really aren't too surprising. I've always thought the Jocketty "we will not discuss extensions during the season" line is moreso to keep the media out of the way while discussions are ongoing. If both parties tell the media there's nothing going on and the media isn't bothering the team and the player, then it's not nearly such a large distraction.

All that said, it wouldn't be shocking at all to hear Dunn inking an extension this September.
    What Jocketty actually said was "I usually don't talk contract during the season because it's a distraction." But, as has been noted recently, he extended McGwire, Rolen and Edmonds during the season (albeit following trades for them). I think you're right though that he's basically not going to negotiate through the press. In many ways, both he and Krivsky are the anti-Bowden who made a way of life of yacking with the press.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Rangers would be absolute fools to approve such a deal, sounds like something the Reds floated and then heard nothing but hysterical laughter in response.
    Normally I would agree, but the Rangers are #1 in majors in runs scored by over 30, but have second highest ERA behind only Pittsburgh. They need a ton of pitching and this deal would do that.

All that said, I can still think of any number of reasons for them not to do this deal.

They need pitching but Arroyo is average and Bailey is a big fat maybe could be, they can get more with a Hamilton
    Go Gators!

The trade dead has passed but teams are still looking for help. The Rockies wouldn't mind adding a starting pitching, but they weren't about to overpay so they didn't get anything done by Thursday's deadline.

Faced it. When Cincinnati wants Ryan Spilborghs for Josh Fogg, the no thanks comes easy. Fogg may be a popular figure in the Rockies clubhouse, but good guys only go so far. Spilborghs is popular, too, and he's a consistent contributor, when he is healthy.

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/r...rockies_a.html

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    What Jocketty actually said was "I usually don't talk contract during the season because it's a distraction."
    a distraction from all the ugly losses seems like a good thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    a distraction from all the ugly losses seems like a good thing to me.
    You'd think he'd want that afterall. (And he's done it in St. Louis in the past when push came to shove).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?