Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds Related Rumors

Re: Reds Related Rumors

Would be really interesting to see the Reds do something out of the ordinary for a change: how about signing Bonds? Is there anything you can think of that would create more fan interest the rest of the way?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Would be really interesting to see the Reds do something out of the ordinary for a change: how about signing Bonds? Is there anything you can think of that would create more fan interest the rest of the way?
    Where's he going to play?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Wherever he wants.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Shortstop?

Just kidding, of course. If Dunn is traded (which I have stated over and over that I don't think that will happen), he'd play LF. But as conservative as the city of Cincinnati is, that's not going to happen, I don't think.

This team has so many holes right now that they don't need another one.

But mark this down. If it would happen, I would not be surprised. Not one bit.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

So, there's no market for our starting catcher? Just the backup?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Posada is down for season ending surgery for NYY. Do they need Ross or Valentin to fill a hole out there?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Posada is down for season ending surgery for NYY. Do they need Ross or Valentin to fill a hole out there?
    No. They have an excellent catcher in Jose Molina and the rumor is they are trying to pry his brother, Bengie, from the Giants.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

It seems to me that the July 31st deadline isn't what it once was. For one thing, teams are not as active. Part of the reality is as others have said. Teams aren't willing to cough up prospects. If you look at the market, most players on the "block" are teams' overpaid underachieving players, rental players, or generally dead weight. Basically junk.

I don't expect too much movement by the Reds. There may be a minor deal or two, but nothing that will turn the season around. The trading chips the Reds have just won't bring in the horses to to make a run at 2008. Best to fall back and regroup and decide what you want the team to look like in 2009 ... and hope your amateur scouts eat their Wheaties in preparation for all those compensation picks in next June's draft.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Imagine his worth without the extension.
    Without the extension, Arroyo would be a FA to be, and just a rental player in a trade.

He'd be worth about as much as we got for Lohse last year i.e. a Matt Maloney type (#4-5 starter), who's actually has a higher value today than when we traded for him.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Without the extension, Arroyo would be a FA to be, and just a rental player in a trade.

He'd be worth about as much as we got for Lohse last year i.e. a Matt Maloney type (#4-5 starter), who's actually has a higher value today than when we traded for him.
    I disagree. If Arroyo was a FA to be, he'd be worth quite a bit.
    Certainly more than Lohse.
    Lohse was a given mediocrity and had a long track record of basically being a 5.00 ERA pitcher.

On the other hand, Arroyo is streaky. He potentially can win 5 starts in a row for a good team. Of course, there's a risk because he isn't always consistent, but the upside is pretty big. Lohse had virtually no upside.

Bronson's contract makes him very hard to move. As they said, teams feel that just assuming Bronson's salary is good enough..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Cincinnati Enquirer stated in todays paper that we had scouts at the Texas game last night scouting Salty and Laird.

I'd like to see the Reds pursue a Saltalamacchia and Blalock deal.. perhaps with Homer Bailey and some plus prospects in return as well as maybe Weathers or Affeldt.. because they are only 6.5 back in the Wild Card.
    Last edited by RedLegSuperStar; 07-29-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Cincinnati Enquirer stated in todays paper that we had scouts at the Texas game last night scouting Salty and Laird.

I'd like to see the Reds pursue a Saltalamacchia and Blalock deal.. perhaps with Homer Bailey and some plus prospects in return as well as maybe Weathers or Affeldt.. because they are only 6.5 back in the Wild Card.
    Nice. Hopefully we can get a deal done for Salty by Thursday and shore up the catching situation. Then focus on getting a rangy shortstop and center fielder.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    focus on getting a rangy shortstop and center fielder.
    already have the rangy SS

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    already have the rangy SS
    I assume you mean Phillips? I've long been on board with moving him to shortstop. I think he could be an above average shortstop and moving him to SS opens up second base for Chris Valaika, who could be an above average hitter at second base IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I assume you mean Phillips?
    I have seen no reason he wouldn't play excellent defense at SS. Great range, strong arm, good hands. He will be a lot more valuable as a S, especially for a team that doesn't have one.

Turn Off Ads?