Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds Related Rumors

Re: Reds Related Rumors

[QUOTE=WVRedsFan;1705076]Shortstop?

But as conservative as the city of Cincinnati is, that's not going to happen, I don't think.

QUOTE]

Jerry Springer says hi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I have seen no reason he wouldn't play excellent defense at SS. Great range, strong arm, good hands. He will be a lot more valuable as a S, especially for a team that doesn't have one.
    I agree. Hopefully Phillips is open to moving back to shortstop because it really would solve a couple of the Reds problems. Phillips at SS is a huge upgrade defensively and offensively, and it opens up second base for Chris Valaika. The Reds get better both defensively and offensively without making a trade. Valaika's range at SS is average but he could probably be a pretty good second baseman.

Re-sign Dunn.

1B Joey Votto
    2B Chris Valaika
    SS Brandon Phillips
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    LF Adam Dunn
    CF ?
    RF Jay Bruce
    C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

And Todd Frazier could be ready sometime next season too.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Valaika's range at SS is average but he could probably be a pretty good second baseman.
    Plus his 360/450 line in AA this year is right on line with his career minor league numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree. Hopefully Phillips is open to moving back to shortstop because it really would solve a couple of the Reds problems. Phillips at SS is a huge upgrade defensively and offensively, and it opens up second base for Chris Valaika. The Reds get better both defensively and offensively without making a trade. Valaika's range at SS is average but he could probably be a pretty good second baseman.

Re-sign Dunn.

1B Joey Votto
    2B Chris Valaika
    SS Brandon Phillips

3B Edwin Encarnacion
    LF Adam Dunn
    CF ?
    RF Jay Bruce
    C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

And Todd Frazier could be ready sometime next season too.
    I am glad that you guys are bringing up these players, at least it gives us some real hope. That can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Plus his 360/450 line in AA this year is right on line with his career minor league numbers.
    Yep. He reminds me a lot of Michael Young of the Rangers. Good solid gap power with 35-40 doubles and 15-20 homerun power.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I have seen no reason he wouldn't play excellent defense at SS. Great range, strong arm, good hands. He will be a lot more valuable as a S, especially for a team that doesn't have one.

The rest of the losing season would be a great opportunity to get him well adjusted.

See, the thing is, I feel like we have young people to replace most of our older "veterans" who we could trade.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    See, the thing is, I feel like we have young people to replace most of our older "veterans" who we could trade.
    I thought the objective was to win. So while other teams are discussing or adding CC Sabathia, Mark Texiera, Xavier Nady and Manny Ramirez, the suggestion is that the Reds promote a second baseman from AA (not even from AAA) and move Phillips away from his comfortable position?

The Reds now have several young players on the major league team. Keep them and maybe a couple of others from the farm. But primarily, get better major league players. Major league players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I thought the objective was to win. So while other teams are discussing or adding CC Sabathia, Mark Texiera, Xavier Nady and Manny Ramirez, the suggestion is that the Reds promote a second baseman from AA (not even from AAA) and move Phillips away from his comfortable position?

The Reds now have several young players on the major league team. Keep them and maybe a couple of others from the farm. But primarily, get better major league players. Major league players.
    Well I want them to win, I want them to sign Texiera, CC Sabathia and the Arizona second baseman Orlando Hudson during the off season, but the teams and players have a choice in the matter, so the chances are slim and none of getting them.

9:42am: I spoke too soon - the Rockies are indeed interested in Washburn. Tim Redding and Josh Fogg are a couple other names on the radar.

Ken Rosenthal characterizes the Fogg interest as legit, but feels that the Ms are just trying to stir Colorado's interest in Washburn.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I smell a Fogg for cash deal...

Brandon Phillips seems to be a very fragile person. I don't know if we want to risk moving him out of his comfort zone. Not everyone is a Pete Rose type of guy that can play through adjusting to a new position.

I remember when the Reds tried to permanently move Aaron Boone to 2b. It affected his hitting, and ultimately proved that Boone could really only fill in at 2b (and SS) in a pinch, but not handle the job everyday.

I really doubt Phillips would handle moving to SS well. If he's moved to SS and makes a few errors and then gets booed, you can imagine that his attitude is going to get sour real quick. He'll get mad at the Reds for screwing him over, etc and it will affect his performance. Based on what I've seen of Phillips (jealousy about Hamilton, problems in Cleveland), he really needs to be handled with kid gloves. He's not the kind of person that can handle any kind of adversity.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Ken Rosenthal says the Padres are dangling Cla Meredith in trade talks. This is a guy I'd like to see the Reds go after. He doesn't handle lefties all that well but he's been death on right handed hitters. His 3-year splits have him holding RH hitters to a .572 OPS. He's having a bit of a down year so he could probably be had for a second tier prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Brandon Phillips seems to be a very fragile person. I don't know if we want to risk moving him out of his comfort zone. Not everyone is a Pete Rose type of guy that can play through adjusting to a new position.

I remember when the Reds tried to permanently move Aaron Boone to 2b. It affected his hitting, and ultimately proved that Boone could really only fill in at 2b (and SS) in a pinch, but not handle the job everyday.

I really doubt Phillips would handle moving to SS well. If he's moved to SS and makes a few errors and then gets booed, you can imagine that his attitude is going to get sour real quick. He'll get mad at the Reds for screwing him over, etc and it will affect his performance. Based on what I've seen of Phillips (jealousy about Hamilton, problems in Cleveland), he really needs to be handled with kid gloves. He's not the kind of person that can handle any kind of adversity.
    SS was his original position, and he seemed to handle moving away from that ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I smell a Fogg for cash deal...
    We all get a piece of that, right?

I can feel my 8 cents burning a hole in my pocket.

Turn Off Ads?