Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Theory

Re: Music Theory

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I thought this was going to be about counterpoint as utilized by the masters...like Gerry Mulligan.

I don't really have any rules. Music elicits an emotional response. That response is either favorable or unfavorable.
    I was expecting an entirely different conversation as well. I was hoping all that theory I studied could be put to use.

But as far as music appreciation goes, I pretty much agree. The emotional response from music is the most important. I enjoy the analysis from an academic standpoint, and sometimes it will further my understanding and enjoyment. But in the end, if it evokes a response, it works.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If art(in this case music) is man's imitation of nature, then music is a mixed mathematical science that concerns the origins, attributes and distinctions of sound.

Glenn Gould said that "The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity".

Saw the title and came in looking for maybe a discussion on using Dorian mode versus using Ionian.

In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Most songs with "night" in the title suck.

Okay, nice job on getting two of the three, guys. I'll go ahead and reveal that the first one is from "Just The Girl" by The Click Five (2005). It's not exactly destined to be a classic, I don't guess, but I loved that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Most songs with "night" in the title suck.
    However, *bands* with the word "night" in the title effing ROCK!

"I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I don't really have any rules. Music elicits an emotional response. That response is either favorable or unfavorable.
    Has a good beat and I can dance to it. That's about where I fall. Either the song speaks to me, or it doesn't.

Has fit in the following categories...Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Southern Rock, Heavy Metal, Glam Metal, oldies rock, limited amount of country, etc. I just love Rock music, e.g. Van Halen, Crue, GNR, Ozzy, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Poison, Pantera, Kiss, Hendrix, Megadeth, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Kid Rock, Skynyrd, BadCo, Bocephus,etc.

Don't like rap, r&b, pop, or bubblegum.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Saw the title and came in looking for maybe a discussion on using Dorian mode versus using Ionian.

I once read an essay on the use of the tritone in music. The tritone being, of course, the only musical interval banned by the Catholic Church.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I once read an essay on the use of the tritone in music. The tritone being, of course, the only musical interval banned by the Catholic Church.
    Playing a tritone is like asking Satan to babysit your kids.

I need to add an amendment to my rules

11) Any song/artist that my wife likes is out.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Rules? Hard to say, but I'll take a stab at a few:

1) I favor less produced over more produced. Unless it's someone like Stevie Wonder.
    2) I can't stand it when people try to make their voice into some kind of musical affectation, Jason Mraz, Christina Aguilera, being exhibits A&B.
    3) If it involves Jerry Garcia, I'll give it a listen. Unless its "space".
    4) With apologies to Bela Fleck, the banjo just doesn't cut it as a jazz instrument for me.
    5) With apologies to Chris Thile, Bela Fleck comes closer to turning the banjo into a jazz instrument than the Punch Brothers do at turning an essentially bluegrass band into a jazz band. So that rule would be that bands should use their instruments and their musicians wisely.
    6) Norman Blake forever, Slash never.
    7) Musicians should not push the "clever" envelope. Ornette Coleman? I can't listen to five minutes of that man playing, no matter how brilliant his music is supposed to be.
    8) A five piece jazz ensemble beats a full big band arrangement every time. That is probably because of rule #1 for me.
    9) Despite rule #8, I'll take a CD full of big band jazz standards over a million Ornette Coleman five piece arrangements.
    10) Female singers may not try to sound like children, Jewel being exhibit A. Male singers may not try to sound like they are passing a stone, the guy from Creed being exhibit B.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I'm pretty much in the "I like whatever I like when I hear it" camp. But there are a couple of things I just can't listen to. One is screaming instead of singing. I love a great voice, but it doesn't have to be great for me to enjoy it. But you at least have to sing. The screamers is what ruined me for most of the heavier types of rock.

Second is that that I have to be able to hear a pitch from the music. Some music has the guitar distortion so strong that it sounds like someone just banging on a guitar as opposed to actually playing a note or chord.

I'm a melody guy. If you don't really have a melody, it doesn't really sond like music to me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

1) No remakes. With few exceptions, the original sounds better. And it reeks of, "I can't make it on my own, so let me try a song you already know..." The remake of "Jessie's Girl" was on of the most unneccessary recordings ever.

2) Melody

3) I need lyrics that I can't see coming. If I hear a song where I know the words before I even hear it, you've lost me. For example, fill in these blanks:

"You have my heart you have my _______."

"I think of you all day and all ______."

I realize there are no new sentences but cliches tell me you can't write lyrics.

3) No excessive wailing with the voice. Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't flex all day, so don't screech every note.

4) In concert, I don't want to listen to extensive guitar/drum solos. It may give everyone a chance to rest, but it's dreadful for the audience.

Another thing I can't stand is too much repetition. If a song repeats the same couple of bars over and over again with different words, I can't get through the whole song.

There's some new song that is being played tirelessly that fits this description right now. It's some song aout singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long. Most of the entire song is the same 2 bars over and over again. And these two bars are a grand total of 3 notes with the exact same rhythm. There's nothing to the song at all. I have no idea who it is, but if they're making a lot of money off of it, I'd love to be a song writer for that guy.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?