Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds take Arroyo off the block

Reds take Arroyo off the block

Reds take Arroyo off the market
    Monday, July 28, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jayson Stark
    The Reds have informed other clubs that they are no longer interested in trading pitcher Bronson Arroyo. Only the Yankees and Rockies were known to have demonstrated even mild interest, anyway. But the Reds apparently were finding that the $24 million Arroyo has coming through 2010 was going to keep them from getting any worthwhile return. And the Reds weren't particularly motivated to eat any sizeable hunk of that salary. So Arroyo, who has been lobbying to stick around, will get to finish the season in Cincinnati. But he may not have heard the last trade rumor of his Reds career.

--------------------------------------
    Exciting, the only hope we have now is for the D-Back's deal for Tex to fall through and they become desperate for Dunn, or else we are going to have pretty much the same team next year as we do this year, with the lack of good FA's out there

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Reds take Arroyo off the block

Good he'll be a solid number 4 for this rotation for many years to come. When he has it going he's tough to beat. Right now he's on a 5 game winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    Good he'll be a solid number 4 for this rotation for many years to come. When he has it going he's tough to beat. Right now he's on a 5 game winning streak.
    Yeah I guess I'm ok with it. Unless the Rox were willing to give up Dexter Fowler, or Garrit Atkins(Arroyo paired with a prospect) then there was no reason.

Would have liked to move him with his recent "hot streak". Probably will all be downhill for him the rest of the way.

Good. I always thought trading Arroyo would be the epitome of buying high, selling low.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Would have liked to move him with his recent "hot streak". Probably will all be downhill for him the rest of the way.
    No kidding. It sounds like they'd rather use him to eat some innings and save the arms of the younger players than to trade him for what they were willing to get in return.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Good. I always thought trading Arroyo would be the epitome of buying high, selling low.
    He's on a 5 game winning streak with a 3.09 ERA....isn't that about as high as he can get?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    He's on a 5 game winning streak with a 3.09 ERA....isn't that about as high as he can get?
    Well, higher than it's been this season, but nowhere near where it was after 2006 or 2007.

I would love to see what this team would look like WITHOUT Arroyo and Dunn.

Drew Stubbs in LF, and "TBD" at the #4 SP every 5th day.

[sarcasm on]
    I'm sure we would spend that money wisely and be able to find cheaper and better alternatives in FA
    [/sarcasm off]

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Exciting, the only hope we have now is for the D-Back's deal for Tex to fall through and they become desperate for Dunn, or else we are going to have pretty much the same team next year as we do this year, with the lack of good FA's out there
    Just think, we could have had Shane Victorino.

RotoHester

Buying high? We trade Pena for him right? That was buying high?

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    Buying high? We trade Pena for him right? That was buying high?
    Well, at the time Pena looked like a future middle of the order hitter...

Anyway, I think you're stretching the analogy. Point is I think Arroyo can be counted on to put up better numbers than he has this season, which means trading him now isn't getting good value.

For the life of me... I CAN NOT understand why clubs announce that a player is no longer available or "untouchable"? Does Jocketty have limited minutes on his cellphone? If I'm GM -- there is no such thing as an "untouchable". God gave me two ears to listen to offers... doesn't mean I pull the trigger, but at least listen!!!

This team needs Krivsky! (and a plan)

((JUST NEEDED TO VENT!))

I'm not expert but it seems to be it was a gesture to the fans, or an attempt to call the bluff of any teams that might have been interested. Walt is no rookie, so I’m going to assume it’s probably not the latter.

I know plenty of people disagree with the notion of keeping Arroyo but I don’t see any way we could have received equal value for this guy. Maybe I’m too optimistic, but I believe the Reds are only a piece or two away from a truly solid team, and a trade like this would have pushed us back and not forward.

Turn Off Ads?