Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade deadline thread

Trade deadline thread

Since we already have a Reds related rumor thread I thought I'd start a thread for non-Reds rumors and trades.

Source: D'backs and Braves deep into Teixeira trade talk

By 'Duk

While everyone is going agog over the Manny trade speculation that will most likely ultimately go nowhere, the wheeling and dealing for a much more attainable difference maker in Mark Teixeira is flying under the radar.

That could change quickly, though, because a front office source from another team interested in Teixeira just told Yahoo! Sports' Steve Henson that negotiations between the Diamondbacks and Braves were "pretty far along." The Braves are said to be asking for a prospect and either Conor Jackson or Chad Tracy in return.

Teixeira will be a free agent at the end of the season and a trade would mark the second time in as many years that the slugger was swapped at the trading deadline. The Braves gave up Jarrod Saltalamacchia and four minor leaguers to pry Tex from the Rangers last season.

If it goes through, it'd be a good trade for the D'backs, whose middling offense could use Texeira's power down the stretch while trying to fend off the Dodgers. Meanwhile, Tracy is scheduled to make $4.5 million next year in the last year of his deal while Jackson will be arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...?urn=mlb,96484
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade deadline thread

Rockies likely to keep Fuentes

Monday, July 28, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Andrew Marchand
    An executive involved in the Brian Fuentes trade talks says the Rockies are "pulling back" and don't seem like they intend to trade him now that they are moving into contention in the National League West. The Mets are still among the teams interested in Fuentes.

Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd told SI.com that it's "highly unlikely" Colorado would trade Fuentes or Matt Holliday.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...%26year%3d2008
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Conor Jackson: 392 PA, .324/.407/.512
    Mark Teixeira: 447 PA, .281/.389/.507

Jackson in 26, under control through 2011, and has hit as well on the road as he has at home. Trading Jackson for Teix wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. Trading Tracy makes a lot more sense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Conor Jackson: 392 PA, .324/.407/.512
    Mark Teixeira: 447 PA, .281/.389/.507

Jackson in 26, under control through 2011, and has hit as well on the road as he has at home. Trading Jackson for Teix wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. Trading Tracy makes a lot more sense.
    Yeah I don't get that either. Trading Conor Jackson for Teixeira straight up is a bad deal for the DBacks, adding in a prospect only makes it worse. Now Chad Tracy + a prospect for Tex is a good deal.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Thats why the Braves are asking for Jackson - maybe the D'Backs will say Tracy + a better prospect. See what the Braves will take and how much the D'Backs think they need Teixeira.

Rumor: Roy Halladay on the block
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

What would be a fair Reds offer for him?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Rumor: Roy Halladay on the block
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

What would be a fair Reds offer for him?
    I don't know, but I love to have Halladay in the Reds rotation.

For it to be considered I think it would need to be something like Cueto, Frazier, Roenicke and Stubbs.

For it to be considered I think it would need to be something like Cueto, Frazier, Roenicke and Stubbs.
    A big no thanks from me.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Some updates from the ESPN blog:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...%26year%3d2008

Astros remaining aggressive in market

Posted by Buster Olney

No one can accuse the Houston Astros of being quitters. Despite the fact that Houston is 12 1/2 games out of first place in the NL Central, the Astros continue to look to be buyers before the trade deadline, rather than sellers. Rival teams report that the Astros are calling around in search of a high-profile, experienced reliever who might serve as a complement to Doug Brocail as Houston makes its push for a playoff spot in August and September.

Some teams, including the Colorado Rockies, have shown interest in veteran right-hander Paul Byrd of the Indians. Byrd is 4-10 with a 5.14 ERA this season, and if the Indians don't deal him before Thursday's deadline, he might be the classic example of a pitcher who could be moved in August, as he passes through waivers.

Rival executives report that there is some anger within the Seattle hierarchy about the way the negotiations with the Yankees for Jarrod Washburn have played out publicly, and an NL executive who has been in contact with the Mariners on Monday says he wouldn't be surprised if Seattle works to deliver the lefty to another team, even if it means swallowing many dollars. The Yankees have made it clear that they are willing to take Washburn's contract -- he is still owed about $14 million for the rest of this year and next -- but won't give up a major prospect. The teams generally in the market for starting pitchers have been the Cardinals and Rockies.

Sources: Red Sox interested in Tejada

Posted by Enrique Rojas

The Red Sox have had discussions with the Astros about shortstop Miguel Tejada, sources told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas.

One source said the conversations between the two teams had just started. Another source, one close to Tejada, said the Red Sox and Astros have been in talks for some time now about a trade.

"I feel good in Houston, but I wouldn't be afraid to accept the challenge of playing in Boston," Tejada said in a telephone interview.

Cubs shopping lefty reliever Eyre

Posted by Jayson Stark

Add another left-handed reliever to your deadline shopping lists. Teams that have spoken with the Cubs -- who, incredibly, now have too much pitching -- report they're calling around to American League clubs to gauge interest in left-hander Scott Eyre. Among teams expected to be in the mix: the Rays, Red Sox and Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    A big no thanks from me.
    It's Stubbs that's the holdup for you. Am I right or I am right? Right? Right? Right?
    Last edited by klw; 07-28-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Stubbs make more sense with a "t"

It's Subbs that's the holdup for you. Am I right or I am right? Right? Right? Right?
    Oh yeah.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Oh yeah.
    Well how about Bailey, Valaika, Viola and Stubbs?

Well how about Bailey, Valaika, Viola and Stubbs?
    Jays wouldn't do that. The Reds couldn't acquire Halladay without trading one of Bruce/Cueto/Volquez and I wouldn't deal any of them.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Jays wouldn't do that. The Reds couldn't acquire Halladay without trading one of Bruce/Cueto/Volquez and I wouldn't deal any of them.
    I concur on the price but it is late, I'm tired and when I read Bruce/Cueto/Volquez, my brain read it as Bako.

Turn Off Ads?