Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Salty or Laird?

Salty or Laird?

As Salty and Laird being the only two guys who we have been linked to, it seems one or the other, at the right price, is priority #1 for Walt before the deadline. So my question to you is who would you rather obtain? Salty is younger a switch hitter but is seen as more of an offensive catcher lack much defensive skills. Laird is having a career year hitting around .310 and is much better defensively, but offensively over his career he doesn't project has anything more than a younger David Ross.

My vote is for Salty as he is the offensive catcher we have lacked for a number of years. Tough he is only hitting .232 this year in part time play, his OBP is .100 points higher at .332. We can keep Ross as the defensive minded catcher and let him and Hanigan battle it out for that spot in ST.

What say you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Salty or Laird?

I think an offensive David Ross who is above average behind the plate would be a pretty valuable player to have. That being said, I haven't seen enough of Laird to know if that is really the case.

With Salty, it's a matter of if he going to be able to stick behind the plate. His bat won't play at first very well, nor do we need him there. Higher risk/higher reward.

I'd lean towards Laird.

What good is a defensive minded catcher that isn't a very good defensive catcher?

I say which ever one the scouts like the best as that is what they are for to try and pick the best one.

I would suppose Salty would cost you more in players to obtain...especially given the Rangers had to drop Tex to get him.

All other things equal..take Salty and bolster your lineup. Defense is overrated in catching anyways...nobody steals bases anymore. Catch the ball and understand your staff and get the bat and be productive offensively.

Having a potent attack at catcher offensively really only leaves us at CF and maybe SS (if you go Gonzalez over Keppinger) as inferior offensive players by position.

Salty all the way. Watched him a bunch with the Braves. They loved him here but with McCann, you don't need him. He's bad at 1st, and I doubt he feels comfy there. He wants to catch. Young stud catcher named Salty? You gotta love it.

Half to admit that I know nothing of Laird.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I'd be happy with either. If forced to choose, I say Salty.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

got alil captain in u?

If Walt calls up the rangers he should first ask for Salty. See what the rangers are willing to take for him if the price is to steep move onto laird. The reds suppossed defensive catching tandem of ross and bako don't exactly do much defensively. So what if Salty or Laird doesn't call a decent game have the dugout call pitches.

Salty, but I wouldn't think they'd trade him when they just acquired him when they already had Laird.

I'd rather have Ross than Laird. Ross gives a middle-of-the order caliber hitter against lefties (.570 3-year SLG), which makes him a good fit here since that's something we need.

Of course, I'd rather have Salty than either, but I don't think he's going to be available.

"The Cincinnati Reds had a scout at the Texas-Oakland game on Saturday in order to take a look at catchers Gerald Laird and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
    The Rangers are apparently willing to part with one of the two, and the Reds are looking to add a catcher since none of their three catchers are under contract for next season, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports."

Per ESPN Insider

Also of note I heard somewhere, that we also had a scout at the Rangers AA game where Ramirez is currently at. Don't know if we had one at their AAA game or not for Teagarden, if not then it would show that I think Walt is really pushing for an offensive minded catcher

I really think WJ is in hot pursuit of a deal here and this will be one of two moves he makes.

Anyone not named Corky Miller, David Ross, Javier Valentin, Paul Bako, Eddie Taubensee, Chad Moeller, Jason LaRue, Benny Santiago, Dane Sardinha, etc....
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

We better hope that Laird's hot hitting makes him too hard to get, or hopefully WJ realizes that he is fools gold right now. He has gone 3-3 with a double and an RBI tonight now hitting .321 with a .828 OPS. Now I know that looks tantalizing, but this hitting his coming out of no where.

Salty.
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Give me Salty...

Turn Off Ads?