Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castellini makes surprise visit in Houston

Castellini makes surprise visit in Houston

Reds owner visits in Houston

With his team losers of four in a row, Reds owner/CEO Bob Castellini dropped in for a visit in Houston on Tuesday. Castellini met for about an hour with manager Dusty Baker and general manager Walt Jocketty in Baker's office with the door shut. Castellini said his visit was to offer "moral support."

Indications are that the Reds will be quiet before Thursday's deadline. The team is seven games under .500 but there will be no clearing payroll of the books.

"I think a winning record is very important," Castellini said. "Walt has not been instructed to dump salary."

The Reds have had seven consecutive losing seasons.

"There's nothing close," Jocketty said. "I've had a lot of conversations with clubs that looking. If something happened, it'd probably happen close to the deadline. Lately, I've been initiating more calls than I've been receiving."

One of the key trade chips, starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo, appears to be headed nowhere. Arroyo made his feeling clear he didn't want to be dealt last week. Castellini appears to be behind him.

"I'd rather Bronson Arroyo be here next year than me," Castellini said. "He's been one of our shining starts here lately."

-- Mark Sheldon

http://trades.mlblogs.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Castellini visits Jocketty/Baker in Houston

I highly doubt Castellini flew to Houston to just offer Baker and Jocketty "moral support." I'm thinking this may be an indication that the Reds may indeed make a trade.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Reds CEO Bob Castellini made a side trip to Houston and met with the front office staff and Dusty Baker.

"It's discouraging and frustrating," he said. "We've got talent on this team and we don't want anyone to lose their confidence. We'll take it one day at a time."

Here's what he said:

On Bronson Arroyo and a salary dump: "I'd rather Bronson Arroyo be here next year than me. He's been one of our shining stars lately."

On Adam Dunn: "How can you not be a supporter of his power. He's probably had the best year he's ever had in Major League Baseball."

Castellini, however, would not answer the direct question about whether there was a chance that Dunn would be back.

On deals being discussed with Walt Jocketty: "Walt can talk to me forever and not say a thing."

On why he's here: "I was in Colorado. It was a good opportunity to swing by, give everybody moral support. This is the time of year you can lose confidence. That shouldn't happen with a team of this caliber. That Rockie series was rocky. It was the worst series that we've had since we owned the team. These fellows are better than that and so are the managers and coaches behind them. We're all better than that."

On a winning record: "I think a winning record is very, very important. We want to win. Walt has not been instructed to dump salary."

On the Ken Griffey Jr.-Jeff Brantley controversy: "I got a little whiff of that today. That will be handled internally."

Are the broadcasters too critical in general? "They're still working for us. Sometimes all of us can be overly critical or keeping saying things and saying them instead of leaving them alone. If once in a while that happens with some of our announcers, that's a human error and they hear about from the fans and everybody else. I don't think any of our five key (announcers are) overly negative."

Walt Jocketty answered questions also:
    Nn potential trades:" "Nothing close. We've had a lot of conversations. I still think clubs are looking. But if something's going to happen, it will probably be close to the deadline. I've been making calls.

"If we're going to make a trade and take someone away from our club, it's going to have to for someone who will help us for the future."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Haunted by walks

Re: Castellini makes surprise visit in Houston

Is moral support worse than a vote of confidence?

Castellini makes surprise visit

By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 06:47 PM
    What do you think?

Bob Castellini popped into town unannounced Tuesday and spent an hour in manager Dusty Baker’s office with general manager Walt Jocketty. He said he was in Denver and decided to drop in for some butt-propping.

Smoke was not detected coming out of the office. Baker walked out with his job in place, as did Jocketty.

“This is discouraging and frustrating,” Castellini said when he emerged. “We have talent on this team and we don’t want anybody to lose their confidence. We’ll take it one day at a time.”

That’s what has been happening, only mostly it is one loss at a time.

Castellini quickly shuffled aside any chance that Bronson Arroyo might be traded when he said, “I’d rather Bronson Arroyo be here next year than me.”

Said Jocketty to Castellini, “He has a chance to win more games than you.”

Then Castellini added, “He has been one of our shining starts here lately (Bronson).”

And does he still support Adam Dunn? “How can you not be a supporter of his power? He is probably having the best year he has ever had in major-league baseball.”

Is there a chance we’ll see him back next year?

“Is there a chance we’ll see you back?” Castellini asked.

“He’s not a free agent,” said Jocketty, meaning the writer, not Dunn.

So, the team is not in a salary dump mode headed into Thursday’s trade deadline?

“Walt has not been instructed to dump salary,” said Jocketty.

Castellini was, uh, rather blunt about the three-game series at home during which the Colorado Rockies dumped on the Reds three straight, outscoring them 23-3 and outhitting them 46-15.

“The Rockies series was rocky,” said Castellini. “Fellows, it was the worst series since we’ve owned the team. Now I’m here to give moral support. This is the time of year when you can lose confidence. That shouldn’t happen to a team of this calibre.

“These fellow are better than this - and the managers and the coaches - we’re all better than thisl,” Castellini added. “We have a lot of good things going on here. Mike Lincoln.”

What else?

“A lot of good things in general,” he said.

OK, HOW ABOUT trades?

“A lot of conversations, but nothing close,” said Jocketty, who admitted that he is probably initiating more phone calls than he is receiving. “I’ve had a lot of conversations, but if something happens it’ll probably be closer to the deadline (4 p.m. Thursday).

“A winning record is very importatn to us - we want to win,” said Castellini. “We’re taking it day-by-day.”

Said Jocketty, “To make a trade just to make a trade is a big mistake. To make a trade to take away from our club, it has to be something to help us now and in the future.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/

Maybe he saw tonight's lineup and was spurred to fly down.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    “A winning record is very important to us - we want to win,” said Castellini. “We’re taking it day-by-day.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/
    I hope Jocketty told Castellini that having a winning record in baseball does not make you a winner.

On deals being discussed with Walt Jocketty: "Walt can talk to me forever and not say a thing."
    Maybe Walt explained that to Cast without saying any words??
    sorry we're boring

I guess he's here to tell Dusty to get Patterson back in the leadoff spot.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I guess he's here to tell Dusty to get Patterson back in the leadoff spot.

You know RedsManRick, (sorry can't resist.)

"That shouldn't happen with a team of this caliber."

Reminds me of when John Allen flew out to Colorado.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    “A winning record is very importatn to us -we want to win,” said Castellini. “We’re taking it day-by-day.”
    day-by-day ?

Isn't that what they say when one is in critical condition or on their death bed?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The winning record doesn't mean a thing this season....82 wins or 70, in end, NEITHER are good enough to compete, and this team is going to struggle to get to 82

Quit focusing on this lost season and get this team in a better position for next season, if at all possible. This year is OVER...the fans don't care about the "winning season" if that season doesn't put them in position of postseason play...THAT should be the goal...not "a winning season"

The current roster, as is, won't win next year either.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-29-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    "It's discouraging and frustrating," he said. "We've got talent on this team and we don't want anyone to lose their confidence[/b].
    It's pretty much the same talent you've had for the last year or so. Now it's all about a confidence level?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It's pretty much the same talent you've had for the last year or so. Now it's all about a confidence level?
    Yeah confidence.

Bob's livin large while the players and fans are getting their lunches handed to them, taking a beating.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-29-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The winning record doesn't mean a thing this season....82 wins or 70, in end, NEITHER are good enough to compete, and this team is going to struggle to get to 82

Quit focusing on this lost season and get this team in a better position for next season, if at all possible. This year is OVER...the fans don't care about the "winning season" if that season doesn't put them in position of postseason play...THAT should be the goal...not "a winning season"

The current roster, as is, won't win next year either.

Turn Off Ads?