Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A last appeal for Reds management to do SOMETHING

Re: A last appeal for Reds management to do SOMETHING

I checked and he did pitch tonight. I still don't think he is a top level prospect yet. And he is probably 3 years away from being major league ready. Does that mean that another team would want him right now in return for someone better than Weathers or Affeldt, I don't know. That was the argument I was having with Blue. Can we get better players next year for the picks we will get from letting Dunn, Weathers, Affeldt go? Can we get someone better than Arroyo in those deals as well? As for Todd Frazier, I would think we would want to keep him around and not trade him for better players.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    I checked and he did pitch tonight. I still don't think he is a top level prospect yet. And he is probably 3 years away from being major league ready. Does that mean that another team would want him right now in return for someone better than Weathers or Affeldt, I don't know. That was the argument I was having with Blue. Can we get better players next year for the picks we will get from letting Dunn, Weathers, Affeldt go? Can we get someone better than Arroyo in those deals as well? As for Todd Frazier, I would think we would want to keep him around and not trade him for better players.

what?
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

If I were Walt, I'd just make announcement that says, we have no quality offers for any players, so we will more than likely stand pat unless something changes, and we are fine with that.

Then other clubs will know to either pony up or move on.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    what?
    What do you mean what? I was talking about Kyle Lotzkar, who was mentioned in a previous post as someone who the Reds received in the supplemental draft in the past. I was arguing the fact that he is a top level prospect in the organization and that if we traded him in the offseason (which was suggested that he would be bait) would we get better players than Weathers, Affeldt or Dunn. I think our best interests are to win next year and finding relievers that keep their ERAs in the 3's (like Weathers and Affeldt) is hard to do. Don't just say what. Tell me what I need to clarify for you and I will do it. And on Dunn, we need to re-sign him, and if we can't trade him for anything valuable or cannot re-sign, I welcome the 2 picks we would get for him. I don't think those two picks will help us next year at all though.

As for an earlier question on my knowledge,I guess I was thrown off earlier when I heard that Weathers and Dunn are considered the same type of free agent. I did not know Weathers would have been a type-A free agent.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    If I were Walt, I'd just make announcement that says, we have no quality offers for any players, so we will more than likely stand pat unless something changes, and we are fine with that.

Then other clubs will know to either pony up or move on.
    Walt Jocketty answered questions also:
    On potential trades:" "Nothing close. We've had a lot of conversations. I still think clubs are looking. But if something's going to happen, it will probably be close to the deadline. I've been making calls.

"If we're going to make a trade and take someone away from our club, it's going to have to for someone who will help us for the future."

I believe he just did
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 07-30-2008 at 12:24 AM.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Walt Jocketty answered questions also:
    Nn potential trades:" "Nothing close. We've had a lot of conversations. I still think clubs are looking. But if something's going to happen, it will probably be close to the deadline. I've been making calls.

"If we're going to make a trade and take someone away from our club, it's going to have to for someone who will help us for the future."

I believe he just did
    What?

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    As for Todd Frazier, I would think we would want to keep him around and not trade him for better players.

I believe that was what left him scratching his head..........and me scratching mine for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aces Wild View Post
    I believe that was what left him scratching his head..........and me scratching mine for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    2007 draft we got Todd Fraizer(middle of the order potential) and Kyle Lotzkar(front of the rotation potential) in the supplemental rounds and those are two guys who any team would LOVE to have.
    The Frazier comment was in conjunction with another argument I was in, as Fraizer and Lotzkar were two names brought up in who the reds got in previous supplemental drafts. I was referencing his comment on Lotzkar when I said I don't think he is a top level minor leaguer (who would yield type A players in a trade) and I was referencing his comment about Todd Frazier when I said I would think that most would want to keep him around as he will help us out in the future. I thought I was being clear to the people I was arguing with.(Blue and RedHawk). If not I apologize. My argument is that we should build for next year and by relying on the supplemental draft, we will not be better next year. Also, by trading those players I don't think we can get better players than those we are letting go.

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Usually when I post I try to read the entire thread. Which if you would have that might have helped you understand what I was saying.

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    this is a stupid post by somone that doesnt know how baseball works

its obvious.....THEY ARNT GETTING OFFERED DECENT MINOR LEAGUERS FOR THESE GUYS!

Is trading Griffey or Dunn for a decent minor leaguer better than the draft picks we would recieve for them? Most likely NO
    With the season he's had if Griffey gets compensation back for us Ill print off this thread and eat it. He wont bring uss back anything, get him out of town and see what the in house options have.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    With the season he's had if Griffey gets compensation back for us Ill print off this thread and eat it. He wont bring uss back anything, get him out of town and see what the in house options have.
    we can not get compensation for griffey. We have a team option available for him and will not be offering him arbitration.

However his value for draft picks would be determined over his last 2 seasons not just this one. And on a sidenote the fielding stats play a minimal role in categorizing the type of return you receive.

we can not get compensation for griffey. We have a team option available for him and will not be offering him arbitration.

However his value for draft picks would be determined over his last 2 seasons not just this one. And on a sidenote the fielding stats play a minimal role in categorizing the type of return you receive.

Over the last 2 seasons going into tonight (please note I didnt go into too much detail on stats someone who knows the intricies can):
    BA: .264
    HR: 44
    RBI: 143

Pardon me while I dont get all giddy as to actually expect that 22 hrs per year gets us something.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

We wouldn't get compensation for him anyway, but unless the new CBA changed the rule, you can decline to exercise an option and offer the player arbitration anyway. That's what the Reds did with Rich Aurilia.

On second look, maybe you're saying that the Reds would under no circumstances risk that he would accept arbitration.

Anyway, as far as I know, you can decline an option and then offer arbitration.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I wasn't referring to Dunn when I made this thread, but I don't see what keeping Weathers, Affeldt, Ross, and whoever else is a core player on the team does anything beneficial. The team is in the crapper. No, we won't be getting top prospects, but if there's a player out there with an upside like a Darryl Thompson or something who mgiht be undervalued - why not add them and take a shot?

Turn Off Ads?