Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you label this season a "disaster"?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 68.52%
  • No

14 25.93%
  • Not Sure

3 5.56%

Thread: Poll: Would you label this season a "disaster"?

Poll: Would you label this season a "disaster"?

I would. I didn't expect first place, but I expected a winning record and encouraging signs for next season. :thumbdown
    Who's on first?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Poll: Would you label this season a "disaster"?

A disaster would not have included Edinson Volquez, Joey Votto or, Jay Bruce's impressive starts to there careers. Also this season I am finally starting to see our favorite ball club making steps in the right directions with KEY players instead of the constant relying on retreads.

Quality playing time to youth with dominant talent can lead to amazing seasons in the near future. Just ask the 2006 Detroit Tigers...
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

I can't call this season a disaster when it was painfully obvious before the season started that we weren't a very talented team. Sure, we have some talented rookies, but unless you believed any where Prince Albert then you should know that this would be a season of growing pains for them. The rest of this team consisted of a nucleus of players who were either brought in on one year deals or entering their last year of their contract........aka stop gaps and Dunn...lol.

Walt will begin to add peices to go around this team begining this week and continuing on into the off season. However, I still think this team will be a pretty bad baseball team for the next couple of years, because he has a large task in front of him..........rebuilding not only the team, but the whole philosophy of how we've done things around here for quite sometime. I have prepared myself for at least one more crappy season, because I understand that one trade deadline and off season isn't enough to fix this mess.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aces Wild View Post
    I have prepared myself for at least one more crappy season, because I understand that one trade deadline and off season isn't enough to fix this mess.
    The probelm lies with the fact I told myself that for JimBo, DanO, Krivsky and, now Jocketty. When does it stop?

You are completely correct though. This type of fix action will not be accomplished over night. The majority of the fix will more than likely be just time. Time for Bruce, Votto, EE, Volquez, and Cueto to develop. Not to mention all the guys in the minors...
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

I know that there are some reasons to say that it has not been a disaster, but it feels a disaster to me, so that's what I'm calling it.

I'm not confident in Votto.

There are holes at SS, CF, and C in the field.

The rotation depends on Harang being healthy, Cueto fulfilling his potential, Volquez continuing his blistering start, Arroyo returning to his 2005 form, and a young player stepping up.

Team defense is below average at six positions.

The team has relied too heavily on Jerry Hairston, Jr., who is having a career year in 200 ABs.

Corey Patterson is still on the team and batting in the leadoff spot or being a net liability in late innings of close games.

Cordero isn't slamming the door and has 3 more years to go.

Griffey has been absolutely pitiful and may in fact be a gang member according to some local writers and on-air personalities.

The team has been unable to improve itself at the deadline (to this point).

The Cubs are in first place.

Dusty Baker is the manager and has two more years to go.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Walt will bring in players as well to compliment those guys. I won't be surprised if we add Salty this week. He's known for being a guy who can obtain top line talent at positions of need. I never had much faith in any of the previous gm's, because mainly they were inexperienced and had no track record of ever having success. WJ is different, because he has shown the ability in the past to turn perpetual losers into winners. He might not do it, but considering he has shown the ability to get it done I'll give him time to do so.

Yes, because Krivsky was fired in the middle of setting this team up for a playoff run for 2009 and it got stopped in mid-track.

Have you noticed that absolutely nothing's been done since Krivsky left, other than the REDS losing two prospects to Korea for no players in return. The measley money they got in return does not make up for the lack of talent that could have been acquired for the two players.

This season is the definition of a disaster, the fans deserve better.

I generally like the direction the team is headed. We haven't had this many good, young arms since I have been a Reds fan. Bruce and Votto are rookies who have acquitted themselves well at the ML level. Our bullpen is light years ahead of where it was last year, and yes, that includes Cordero. This is not a typical Reds team with an old, patchwork lineup and rotation filled with retreads and has-beens.

Here is the key, and some of you have hinted at it. We need stability. Jocketty and Baker, whatever you think about their style, both have a track-record in MLB (unlike the Reds other GM/Manager combo's) with success at the highest level. Castellini has proven that he loves this team and wants to win (unlike Uncle Carl). Let's hope that this trend continues.

In the end, this off-season will say alot about the Reds future.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I voted yes. I hear what a lot of you are saying about having low expectations going into the season so you don't think its a disaster. I disagree with that, just because you saw it coming doesn't make it ok. It's still a disaster of a season. Yes there is good young talent and that is encouraging. But when you lose like the Reds do every night, with mental mistakes, base-running blunders, bad defense, etc., I call that a disaster.

As for what improbus said about this off-season saying a lot about the Reds future, I agree. There will be a significant amount of room for Walt to reshape this roster to his liking.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Huge disappointment, but I wouldn't say disaster. Yet. I voted not sure
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

Quote Originally Posted by Aces Wild View Post
    Walt will bring in players as well to compliment those guys. I won't be surprised if we add Salty this week. He's known for being a guy who can obtain top line talent at positions of need. I never had much faith in any of the previous gm's, because mainly they were inexperienced and had no track record of ever having success. WJ is different, because he has shown the ability in the past to turn perpetual losers into winners. He might not do it, but considering he has shown the ability to get it done I'll give him time to do so.
    never mind, had Tex and Salty mixed in my head-must be spinning trying to follow everything on this board.....
    Last edited by bounty37h; 07-30-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: oops, wrong thinking :)

I voted yes, no other way to look at it. Yes, there are some potential highlights, some prospective good things to come in the future, but nothing that makes what we have seen as fans this year anything short of another disgusting disaster for the Reds.

this might be worse than a disaster.. hope FEMA is on the way..

Turn Off Ads?