Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA fans' opinions wanted.

NBA fans' opinions wanted.

According to CNNSI.com the Houston Rockets have acquired Ron Artest from the Sacramento Kings. Just curious how NBA followers would critique this trade. Opinions wanted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

All I know is whenever the Rockets played the Kings Ron Artest was a beast.

How serious of a contender is this starting five?

G-Rafer Alston
    G-Tracy McGrady
    C-Yao Ming
    F-Shane Battier
    F-Ron Artest

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA fans' opinions wanted.

Are there any NBA fans anymore?

Kidding TD.

It's a solid 5, you [assuming you are a Rockets fan] gave up nothing to get a Chris Henry-esque player. He has talent and brings a lot of headaches. No reason they can't be a contender to move deep into the playoffs next year, so long as Ming doesn't go down again. A lot rests on his wide shoulders.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll root for any team that has Rafer Alston (aka And-1 Baller "Skip to my Lou") on the roster.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Good deal. Not many teams will be able to score more than 85 against Houston. That's some defensive team.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I think the Rockets are set to go far. They are an extremely deep team. Battier and Artest at the forward positions, Luis Scola, Carl Landry, etc. at the forward spot, Mutumbo to back up Yao, a superstar in T-Mac. The point guard position worries me a bit, but Alston played well last year. If they could find someone else to complement him (which Bobby Jackson was supposed to do, but didn't really work out) then they will be a force to be reckoned with. The key to this team is health. If they're healthy, they're right there

Looking at that starting 5, if Yao and TMac stay healthy Houston could win this thing. They have a solid bench and with the addition of Artest they will be a very good defensive club. Like cincrazy said I would be worried about pg as Alston runs hot and cold.

West Conf.
    1. Spurs- Just out of respect
    2. New Orleans- Paul and company
    3. Lakers- Kobe and company
    4. Houston- If they stay healthy
    5. Dallas/Suns- Both of these teams are getting older with additions of Shaq and Kidd
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

You forgot Utah. Lost in the coference finals to SA two years ago and ran into the Lakers this past year. Utah is young and talented (Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer). They are no worse than the 3rd best team going into next season, IMO. They also have a terrific coach.

Houston is going to be good but they already were. They won 22 in a row during one stretch. And that was without Yao Ming. Now they have Yao and Artest and didn't have to give up anything to get them. Are they going to win 44 in a row now? I don't blame them for trying to improve, it is the right thing to do but I don't see a move like this pushing them over these other teams who seem to have those intanglibles that you need to have. Houston just seems to be missing something. T-Mac has never even won a play-off series before. And you know he or Yao will go down with some injury. I like Houston but I still think they will have to fight like crazy just to get homecourt in the first round (4 seed or better). Wouldn't surprise me to see them win 50+ games and come in around 6. Artest will have an impact but it won't be that big in terms of wins.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    You forgot Utah. Lost in the coference finals to SA two years ago and ran into the Lakers this past year. Utah is young and talented (Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer). They are no worse than the 3rd best team going into next season, IMO. They also have a terrific coach.

Houston is going to be good but they already were. They won 22 in a row during one stretch. And that was without Yao Ming. Now they have Yao and Artest and didn't have to give up anything to get them. Are they going to win 44 in a row now? I don't blame them for trying to improve, it is the right thing to do but I don't see a move like this pushing them over these other teams who seem to have those intanglibles that you need to have. Houston just seems to be missing something. T-Mac has never even won a play-off series before. And you know he or Yao will go down with some injury. I like Houston but I still think they will have to fight like crazy just to get homecourt in the first round (4 seed or better). Wouldn't surprise me to see them win 50+ games and come in around 6. Artest will have an impact but it won't be that big in terms of wins.

I like Utah esp at home, I guess they are easy to forget about. I still think they need something more than Okur inside though. Portland may suprise people
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I don't disagree. Matt Harpring and Kyle Korever essentially give them what Okur does. A better compliment to Boozer would really make them tough. But then again the NBA is pretty short on decent big men. The Lakers made the finals with two girls playing in the paint. There literally are about 2 big men in the league who are willing to get dirty, know how to rebound, can catch the ball, can finish with ease when left wide open, and make 70% of their free throws. And I don't even know who those two are.

Houston might finally be good enough to get out of the first round...maybe. When you've got to get through one of San Antonio, New Orleans, Utah, LAL, Phoenix or Dallas in all likelihood, it'd going to be pretty damned tough.

They still don't have a true PG.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I agree with a few of the previous posters, it all depends on who's healthy.

That being said, if they can find a Rajon Rondo type, they would be set to make a huge run.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

IMO, the Rockets are overpaying for Brent Barry.

The Spurs are going to be younger next season. I think their biggest worry is whether Ginobili will be healthy coming out of the Olympics.
    /r/reds

They will be amazing... Just think the Kobes, Lebrons, etc. will be guarded by Battier or Artest for the entire game. Good luck with that.

More importantly from lock down defense, Artest is a pretty good scorer so now Tmac won't be forced to score at a crazy rate. As long as Artest doesn't explode, they should be pretty well set.

And if he does explode, he is a FA after the season, where they will probably rebuild if they cannot win anything in the playoffs anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    According to CNNSI.com the Houston Rockets have acquired Ron Artest from the Sacramento Kings. Just curious how NBA followers would critique this trade. Opinions wanted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

All I know is whenever the Rockets played the Kings Ron Artest was a beast.

How serious of a contender is this starting five?

G-Rafer Alston
    G-Tracy McGrady
    C-Yao Ming
    F-Shane Battier
    F-Ron Artest
    One thing I notice about this starting lineup is top to bottom those are upper tier defenders with the best being Battier and Artest.

They will be a playoff team for sure, i'm not sure if it'll boost them to a playoff series win though - remember Tmac is on the team .

In all seriousness, the Rockets would be consistently better if they stopped getting injured, I hope it falls into place for them this year for Tmacs' sake.

Good deal IMO, even though I think Donte Greene is a hell of a talent. Him, Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes, Francisco Garcia and Sean Singletary (underrated IMO) are a great young core for the Kings. Obviously, they are a few years away still..but they do have a bright future.
    Last edited by NorrisHopper30; 07-31-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Turn Off Ads?