Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

His 2nd in 117 ab's for the Sox .
    I really hope Ken gets after it this winter and his body responds, or he gracefully decides to hang em up. Returning for repeat of 08 would be painful to watch, even on someone else's payroll.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think Junior is either going to hang them up or sign a small 1 year deal with Seattle for part time DH duties and have a going away tour. I can't imagine anybody will want to count on him for any production.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Well the guy is pushing 40 and that's the way it goes. In his time here, he was underapreciated, criticized for his injuries and still produced (run wise) more than some of the coveted players.

I wish him well and hope the Sox get into the playoffs and maybe even win the whole thing. Griffey will hit at least 20 more given the proper playing time and make his mark. I'm so proud to just say he played for the Reds, overcame the adversity of his injuries and left like he came--with class. It's not easy getting old (I should know).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Well the guy is pushing 40 and that's the way it goes. In his time here, he was underapreciated, criticized for his injuries and still produced (run wise) more than some of the coveted players.

I wish him well and hope the Sox get into the playoffs and maybe even win the whole thing. Griffey will hit at least 20 more given the proper playing time and make his mark. I'm so proud to just say he played for the Reds, overcame the adversity of his injuries and left like he came--with class. It's not easy getting old (I should know).
    I completely agree. I certainly wouldn't root for the White Sox normally but I'd really like to see KGJ join his dad as a WS winner.

Rem

Ken Griffey Jr., whose nine-year, $116.5 million contract expires after this season, told Chicago writers that he wants to play three more years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Wow! If he did that the shine would come off his star status. 3 more years of very mediocre baseball by one of the best of all time. He may not even hit 10 HRs in a season especially not playing at GABP. I thought he might do 1 more year and kind of expected a retirement speech. Be interesting to see who signs him. Thanks OBM
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Ken Griffey Jr., whose nine-year, $116.5 million contract expires after this season, told Chicago writers that he wants to play three more years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    I saw that too. He OPSed 841 vs RHP and 649 vs LHP this year. He is an OK platoon DH at this point in his career.

Walt got the White Sox to pay 1/2 his salary and 1/2 the buyout and we got a decent reliever (Masset) and a guy with a pulse (Richar) for Jr. I'm suprised the Chicago DA hasn't filed grand theft charges against Walt!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Wow! If he did that the shine would come off his star status. 3 more years of very mediocre baseball by one of the best of all time. He may not even hit 10 HRs in a season especially not playing at GABP. I thought he might do 1 more year and kind of expected a retirement speech. Be interesting to see who signs him. Thanks OBM
    Well, to play devil's advocate, there is something to be said for someone who is clearly playing for love of playing at this point. There is no reason whatsoever for Junior to keep playing otherwise. He's got countries full of money, he's got a HOF career, and he probably plays in a fair amount of pain. The only thing that he doesn't have is a ring. People criticize A-Rod for going to the Yankees "for the chance to play on a championship team" when they really believe it was for the money. Well, here is a man who clearly wants to play on a championship team, period (or else he just really loves playing baseball, period).

Nobody criticizes Julio Franco or Jamie Moyer for continuing to play, and they're not exactly at the top of their game anymore. They just continued to set personal goals and go for them. These kinds of guys are the Neil Youngs of sports -- they churn out stuff and stuff and stuff, and it isn't always great, but they keep going out of what I can only assume is a genuine love for what they do.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Well, to play devil's advocate, there is something to be said for someone who is clearly playing for love of playing at this point. There is no reason whatsoever for Junior to keep playing otherwise. He's got countries full of money, he's got a HOF career, and he probably plays in a fair amount of pain. The only thing that he doesn't have is a ring. People criticize A-Rod for going to the Yankees "for the chance to play on a championship team" when they really believe it was for the money. Well, here is a man who clearly wants to play on a championship team, period (or else he just really loves playing baseball, period).

Nobody criticizes Julio Franco or Jamie Moyer for continuing to play, and they're not exactly at the top of their game anymore. They just continued to set personal goals and go for them. These kinds of guys are the Neil Youngs of sports -- they churn out stuff and stuff and stuff, and it isn't always great, but they keep going out of what I can only assume is a genuine love for what they do.
    Or they do it b/c they don't know anything else, and perhaps they didn't or don't know when to let go?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Or they do it b/c they don't know anything else, and perhaps they didn't or don't know when to let go?
    I might give more credence to that if retirement weren't so appealing in this case. Junior, by all accounts, is a family man and has a lovely career as a family man waiting for him if he wants it. I think he could handle that ok.

i'm not saying I agree with the "decision"...just pointing out there's room for integrity on both sides.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

How does one of the greatest players who ever played the game give up the central focus of his life? The sublime pleasure Junior must have enjoyed when he was still "the Kid" has to be intoxicating. To perform on that level and to love the game the way he did and apparently still does..... how do you walk away from that?

You don't want to embarrass yourself, but if you didn't have a warriors belief in your abilities, you wouldn't be there in the first place.

Some players egos won't allow them to play poorly. Their image in the public eye is more important to them than the joy of performing. I don't see Junior that way. I think he clearly still thinks he can play on a major league level, and that's preferable to not playing at all.

He'll never be "the Kid' again. I don't think that's why he's hanging around. He simply loves the game and all that goes with it with a passion.

You'd have to drag me out of there.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    How does one of the greatest players who ever played the game give up the central focus of his life? The sublime pleasure Junior must have enjoyed when he was still "the Kid" has to be intoxicating. To perform on that level and to love the game the way he did and apparently still does..... how do you walk away from that?

You don't want to embarrass yourself, but if you didn't have a warriors belief in your abilities, you wouldn't be there in the first place.

Some players egos won't allow them to play poorly. Their image in the public eye is more important to them than the joy of performing. I don't see Junior that way. I think he clearly still thinks he can play on a major league level, and that's preferable to not playing at all.

He'll never be "the Kid' again. I don't think that's why he's hanging around. He simply loves the game and all that goes with it with a passion.

You'd have to drag me out of there.
    But what if Junior's wrong about his abilities?

What if maybe he should have more of an ego to not allow him to play poorly?

While I wasn't around to see it, I don't want Junior's career to end like Willie Mays'.

While I wasn't around to see it, I don't want Junior's career to end like Willie Mays'.

Willie Mays was my all time favorite player, and it killed me to see him end up that way. It would have been interesting to see him go out as a DH rather than get shown up in the field like he did.

I'd say it was exactly the same motivation that kept him going as that which Junior is expressing.

And you can bet Junior is aware of that history. I still believe that it's nothing more than the love of the game that keeps him going, and that the pain of giving it up outweighs the pain of playing a lesser game.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Were you around to see Steve Carlton or Jack Morris' last days? Pretty ugly.

I think it's fine if Julio Franco or Jamie Moyer wants to play forever but a Hall of Famer like Jr is different. Actually Moyer is still on top of his game. Junior's body is also failing him. Franco and Moyer have maintained excellent health into their 40s. If Jr does indeed play 3 more years it'll be ugly indeed

Jr. represented himself fairly well until this year. I don't think there's anything wrong with your last year being a stinker. But if you hold on for WAY too many years like Jerry Rice, I think that can be a bit of embarrassment.

But I don't look at Rice any differently today than I did a decade ago. He should play as long as he possibly can. Soak it all up Jr., it'll be over soon enough

Turn Off Ads?