Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No major news source is confirming this?

The Yankees and Red Sox aren't going to cover themselves, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

It accomplishes two months earlier what would have happened in October anyway. The Reds aren't doing anything this season regardless.

Addition by subtraction isn't nearly enough to save the Reds this season.
    Then perhaps part of it simply is as a goodwill gesture towards the future HOF'er. Good for the Reds brass if so.

a sad day for me.. i just hope all the Griffey bashers are very happy.. Dunn will be gone too and the Reds offense will be not as good next year with two power hitters gone.. good luck getting out of last place next year!!.. i will root for the White Sox.. hope the reds actually got soemthing in return and not junk..

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Wow. Just wow.

I remember how exciting it was when "The Kid" came home. Obviously things didn't work out as planned.

Even with his limited range in RF and slowing bat, there's something sad about Jr. leaving the Reds in the middle of the season and on the road.
    those were my feelings exactly. I was just running through that day in my head. The endless optimism that it brought. Never would have thought it would come down to this. Best of luck to Junior, whatever he choses. It's been a true pleasure to watch him play over these past years. Something I'll keep with me always. You always remember the greats, I'll remember this.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'd take Brian Anderson and call it a day.

Wonder where the Sox would play him.
    Indicators are he'd be a reserve player, or possibly in CF, with some DH...

Could he handle NOT being a starter?

I know that Ken Griffey Jr. leaving is probably needed for the Reds future, but my overwhelming feeling is a deep sadness. Somehow, I just hate to see Junior's tenure in Cincinnati end this way. We all hoped that he would bring the Reds a championship, and the fact that it didn't happen was not his fault. He has been a lightening rod because of his high pay check, his injuries, and the failure to meet those expectations.

I was in Seattle last year when Junior went back there for the first time. I have never seen anyhting like the love that city has for him. Of course he played some great years there. (Look at my signature, that is him is Seattle blue). It seemed like almost everyone in the place was wearing a Griffey jersy, half Reds and half Mariners. The place went nuts when he hit two homers that day against their home team. (Course the Mariners still won...)

I don't agree with his public expressions toward Brantley, but I still hate for that to be the note that a man like Ken Griffey Jr. leaves on. Very sad.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Then perhaps part of it simply is as a goodwill gesture towards the future HOF'er. Good for the Reds brass if so.
    That's what it is. But I'm selfish--I don't care about player pampering. I want good stuff for the Reds, not a karmic stroking.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Welcome to Chicago Jr! Hopefully we can be more welcoming than Cincy.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Sad end to the homecoming that was supposed to revitalize baseball in this town. I'll always root for Jr., no matter what color uniform he dons.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Indicators are he'd be a reserve player, or possibly in CF, with some DH...

Could he handle NOT being a starter?
    my guess would be no

That's what it is. But I'm selfish--I don't care about player pampering. I want good stuff for the Reds, not a karmic stroking.
    No doubt - but for a guy who's left half of his anatomy laying on the collective turfs of Cinergy Field and the GAB, it's ok to embrace a little karma here.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    How would this make sense for the Sox? They already have Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, Carlos Quentin, Nick Swisher, and Jermaine Dye.
    Konerko is hitting .214/.312/.349.

I have mixed feelings, but Junior will get a shot and the Reds will get something out of it. It would be nice to head down to the Cell and have somebody to root for.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Note to self: do not taunt Jeff Brantley. He is more powerful than he appears.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I know that Ken Griffey Jr. leaving is probably needed for the Reds future
    at this point it hardly matters. The only reason to deal him is to give him a chance to be on a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I know that Ken Griffey Jr. leaving is probably needed for the Reds future, but my overwhelming feeling is a deep sadness. Somehow, I just hate to see Junior's tenure in Cincinnati end this way. We all hoped that he would bring the Reds a championship, and the fact that it didn't happen was not his fault. He has been a lightening rod because of his high pay check, his injuries, and the failure to meet those expectations.

If it happens, I think it's better this way. That way there's no wondering whether the Reds will pick his option up during the offseason and people weighing in with the pros and cons of keeping him. It won't drag out for the whole offseason and you don't have to worry about insulting his priide by buying out his deal. Walt can go into the offseason knowing what his payroll's going to be.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?