Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do the Sox have?

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Who do the Sox have?

With the Griffey wait now in effect. What players from the White Sox system do you guys hope to see in return (if it's approved)?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who do the Sox have?

If this rumor is true, there are a few guys Id be interested in.
    I would hope to see a few prospects in return.
    Two of these guys would be sweet.

Faustino de los Santos, RHSP, A+.
    de los Santos threw 97.2 innings in Low-A before earing a five game promotion to High-A. At both levels he struck out more than 31% of batters faced and walked just 9.4% in Low-A and 7.1% in High-A. He misses a lot of bats and induces weakly hit balls, if at all.

Jack Egbert, RHSP, AA.
    Egbert threw 161.2 innings in Double-A and earned a spot in the Arizona Fall League. He doesn’t walk many batters (6.7% this year) and strikes out just over a quarter of his opponents. He keeps the ball on the ground and in the park. Over the last two seasons (342.2 innings) he has allowed just five home runs.

Gio Gonzalez, LHSP, AA. Gonzalez repeated Double-A this year (his first with the White Sox) and, although he improved, it was a repeat effort. He decreased his BB rate by 2.5%, increased his K% from 24.3% to 30.3%. He induced more groundballs and was generally successful. Look for a rapid ascent next year for Gio Gonzalez.

Aaron Poreda, LHSP, Rk. Drafted this year, Poreda had a very good debut throwing 46.1 innings and striking out 48 while walking just 10. Drafted out of college, Poreda is a hard throwing, power pitcher. His fastball is in the low 90s and is his only plus pitch. He has a nice pitching frame but counters that somewhat with a three-quarters arm angle. He is a project.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Since the Reds are so hard up for Catching prospects, do the Sox have any of note?

In no particular order, pieces I'd like to see come back to the Reds:

Upper minors catching prospect that could challenge for the starting role next season
    CF/lead off hitter type that could challenge for a starting role next season
    Right handed thump for the bench (though this seems like something best acquired thru free agency w/ veterns)
    left handed starting pitching
    any pitching that can help the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    Since the Reds are so hard up for Catching prospects, do the Sox have any of note?
    They really messed thier farm system up in a few trades. Mainly the one with OAK.
    Chris Carter has been tearing it up.

They dont have that many positions players to get excited about.
    In fact, the only one I can think of is Ryan Sweeny and they say he wont develop into much.
    I do not see any Catchers even in thier top 20.

Poreda would be nice. He is the only prospect in the top 150.
    AA) 1-2, 3.95ERA, 41IP, 11BB, 30K, 2.67BAA
    (High-A) 5-5, 3.31ERA, 73.1IP, 18BB, 46K, .238BAA

I dont know why we would do a deal with the White Sox.
    They honestly dont have anyone in minors worth dealing for.
    And nevermind on Gio Gonzalez, he was also sent to OAK.

I really would want some of OAK or TB prospects.

I like our prospects wwaaaaaayy better than CHI.

Fautino de los Santos and Gio Gonzalez were both traded to Oakland for Swisher during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Fautino de los Santos and Gio Gonzalez were both traded to Oakland for Swisher during the offseason.
    I forgot about Santos.

I corrected myself in the above post about Gonzalez as you can see.

Ive been searching for thier top prospects and read it wrong.

Gosh, I hope he doesnt approve it.

Only because CHI has NOBODY I want. :thumbdown

STL is willing to deal Lohse for a bat.

I guess we would need STL's pitching coach as well.

I'd take 2B Chris Getz and CF Brian Anderson.

With all that said, were we really expecting the Reds to get something of significant value for Junior? Perhaps something more along the lines of a PTBNL that comes from a list of prospects depending on how JR does the rest of this season.

How is Brian Anderson any different than having Dickerson? No reason to have both.

White Sox Fan

Supposedly the Chicago "insider" reporter of ESPN 1000 in Chicago said the Sox weren't giving up anything of significant value to the organization for Griffey. It could just be a salary dump.

That's what I'd say it is.

I'm pretty sure that Gio went to the A's in the Swisher deal.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The White Sox don't have any big prospects. They have one of the worst systems in baseball. The return isn't going to be good.

Danny Richar.

Looks like he had .305/.365/.505 line in AAA in 2007. Had the inside track the Sox's future 2B. Hasn't done well this year --- .261/.321/.427. There are reasons though, he's been fighting a rib injury.

If he returns to his '07 form, you might have a future SS. He's a lefty, so a platoon could be in his future as well. Keppinger has a pretty hefty split (at least this season).

Not a bad return once you throw in the reliver, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?