Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Griffey: "I don't know that you're going to see the guy from Seattle..."

Griffey: "I don't know that you're going to see the guy from Seattle..."

Conversation with White Sox GM Kenny Williams.

Ken Williams: "When I talked to Junior, he was very honest...."
    Junior: "Well, I've got to tell you, I don't if you're going to see the guy from Seattle..."
    Ken Williams: "We're not looking for that guy from Seattle."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...?urn=mlb,97882

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Griffey: "I don't know that you're going to see the guy from Seattle..."

I'm guessing you wanted some reaction to that quote. I know when I heard it, I was thinking 'no kidding'. Ken Williams wasn't born last night. That guy from Seattle hasn't been around in a decade.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I'm guessing you wanted some reaction to that quote. I know when I heard it, I was thinking 'no kidding'. Ken Williams wasn't born last night. That guy from Seattle hasn't been around in a decade.
    try 3 years..

that guy was in Cincy for 6.. getting hurt trying to play like that when his body was aging..

But Kenny Williams states that playing CF is easier than RF?

I guess I'm shocked to see a team trade for Griff with hopes of re-uniting him in CF...that is a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    try 3 years..

that guy was in Cincy for 6.. getting hurt trying to play like that when his body was aging..

Exactly. You could sum up Juniors career with the Reds in 3 phases:

Phase One: The Seattle Junior. We got that for exactly one year.
    Phase Two: The Try To Play Like You Are The Seattle Junior But Just End Up Getting Hurt Junior. This was the hardest phase to watch for me personally.
    Phase Three: The Front Office Isn't Even Trying To Win So Why Should I? Junior Ahh The tail end of the Lindner years... good times.
    Phase Four: Bubblebutt the Uber Slacker Goodbye Junior. Hopefully a new team will wake him back up. He's been asleep for a while.
    Last edited by Fon Duc Tow; 08-01-2008 at 11:58 AM.

it's not like the other "big" players are not in that last category though.. soo we need to start over almost completely..

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    it's not like the other "big" players are not in that last category though.. soo we need to start over almost completely..
    That ain't happening. We are going to keep our CORE young guys to go with the last 3 years of Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero.

Otherwise, we'll be in perpetual "rebuilding" mode like we were the entire period after 1998 or so...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    That ain't happening. We are going to keep our CORE young guys to go with the last 3 years of Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero.

Otherwise, we'll be in perpetual "rebuilding" mode like we were the entire period after 1998 or so...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    He's talking about dunn because AhhhHorsePoo always talks badly, about Dunn.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I say buy stock in the Minnesota Twins now!

I am talking about multiple people.. Dunn included for you bruce.. EE approach to throwing.. he rarely lets anything by him but when he rushes his throws.. its air mail city.. and he rarely runs out anything that isnt a homerun or a gap shot.. Bphill is starting to get to the point.. where he pops it up at all.. even is if might fall.. he always starts by chucking the bat at the ground.. Paul Bako has a general I dont care approach to it all.. he hits a homer.. he might crack a smirk.. but when he strikes out, he seriously looks like he is loading a washing machine.. blank face.. no emotion...

Bruce, a very slow Keppinger, Votto, and SOMETIMES BPhill are the only ones who bust their butts down the line on most routine plays..

YES IT IS A DIRECT HIT ON ADAM DUNN.. FOR EVERYONE who thought griffey didn't hustle, but doesn't have that slam on dunn.. you all are completely fooling yourselves..

you can harp all you want poo, but emotion and hustle aren't going to overcome .320 OBP and .700 OPS, you need TALENT, which can only be developed over time from potential.

Nobody ever got any better because they ran out groundball outs fast.
    Charlie Hustle got 4,000 other hits that didn't need to be beat out at the bag... Get over it, it's not 1972 anymore...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Charlie Hustle got 4,000 other hits that didn't need to be beat out at the bag... Get over it, it's not 1972 anymore...

Yes they did. Even by your Pete Rose example, if he didn't run his groundballs out he might have only had 4000 hits.

Just because it isn't 1972 doesn't justify playing baseball the "wrong way."

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post

I guess I'm shocked to see a team trade for Griff with hopes of re-uniting him in CF...that is a shocker.
    In a way it is. Balls hit the other way don't slice like they do at the corners. Plus you don't have do deal with crazy bounces off corner of the wall.

You just have to cover more ground is all, but that's not difficult, it's just a matter of speed.

you can harp all you want poo, but emotion and hustle aren't going to overcome .320 OBP and .700 OPS, you need TALENT, which can only be developed over time from potential.

Baseball is a skill game. You get better by repitition. Usually guys that play hard practice hard.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    It is, easier from a legs standpoint

Turn Off Ads?