Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffey gets RBI single in first at-bat for Chisox

Re: Griffey gets RBI single in first at-bat for Chisox

I guess if he had to be traded, I lucked out in that it's here in Chicago. I'm thinking about going to his first home game next week against the Tigers. If I don't make that one, I'll definitely make the Kansas City game the following week

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good for Jr.....absolutely.

One look at the box score troubled me however. Jr. is batting 7th.

That was so easy apparently. Would the Reds be in a different position today had Jr. not been locked into the 3 hole all year???

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

That was so easy apparently. Would the Reds be in a different position today had Jr. not been locked into the 3 hole all year???
    The big difference is that Ozzie Guillen is a psychopath. I mean, he's Charlie Manson in the manager's office. If you don't like his batting order, he'll cut out your heart with a spoon!

Here's a thought:

What would happen if Jose Guillen played for Ozzie Guillen?
    I'm guessing Armageddon.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I doubt it. He's been hitting like a 3 hole hitter should for a month now and the Reds still lost ground in the playoff race. As much as I have hated the batting orders Dusty runs out there, this team is more than a flip flop of the order away from being in contention.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Probably not. It would have made a lot more difference if he didn't have to bat in front of Brandon Phillips, who 60% of the time is an automatic out.

For a lot of this season, Griffey had two weak sisters batting in the 1 and 2 holes and Phillips behind him. It was much easier to not give Junior anything to hit when he was up with two outs, knowing Phillips would swing at the first junk pitch he saw.

If he had batted 7th, he would have been in front of either Paul Bako or David Ross. Who are you going to pitch to--Griffey or Bako. Case closed.

I'm happy for Junior that he is on a team where he has a chance to go to the World Series. The Chisox have a good offensive team, unlike the guys he just left who could only manage 4 hits against what is essentially a AAA team.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I just saw the highlights of Griffey's two hits. He also hit a long flyball that was caught on the warning track in right center. It still hasn't quite hit me that Griffey is no longer a Red. He just didn't look right in a White Sox uniform.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    And a question. He knocked in Jim Thome. Are they the first members of the 500-homer club to play together after reaching that milestone?
    I think you have a first. As others pointed out Aaron played with Matthews, McCovey with Mays and Foxx with Williams, I'll add. But they were at different stages of their careers. Sosa and McGriff were close, IIRC, when McGriff, like Griffey was traded mid-season.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If I'm reading the statistics correctly, Matthews actually hit his 500th as, of all things, an Astro. The Braves apparently traded him after the 1967 season when he needed only a handful of homers to reach 500.
    Aaron had about 440 homers at the time of that deal.
    McCovey and Mays obviously played together for years as well, but I'm fairly certain McCovey reached 500 long after Mays departed.
    The Braves traded Matthews to the Astros after the 1966 season. At that point, Matthews had 493 career HRs and had turned age 35. He hit career HR 500 as an Astro. He would close out his career the next season as a member of the 1968 Tigers World Champions.
    I've always thought that the Braves move to Atlanta in 1966 made it easier for Braves management to trade Matthews. Matthews had been a huge fan favorite in Milwaukee from 1953 through 1965, winning two HR titles, playing on two NL pennant winners and the 1957 World Champions, and being a constant all star. Once the Braves moved to Atlanta, Matthews was just a guy fans had heard of without having nearly as much attachment to.
    After the 1966 season, Hank Aaron was at 442 in career HRs, so neither Aaron or Matthews had yet attained 500 career HRs during their years together.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

And a question. He knocked in Jim Thome. Are they the first members of the 500-homer club to play together after reaching that milestone?
    Unless I'm mistaken. The roid boys Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa were togther on the 2005 Orioles and I think they had both already reached 500 HR by then.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-02-2008 at 07:37 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaked. the roid boys Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa were togther on the 2005 Orioles and I think they had both already reached 500 HR by then.
    I just checked it. You are not mistaked.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaked. the roid boys Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa were togther on the 2005 Orioles and I think they had both already reached 500 HR by then.
    Good catch. I missed that one. I wonder if they ever went back to back.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I just checked it. You are not mistaked.
    LOL.

Can't type very well. My dogs were howling and had to run to see what's up just as I was posting.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Good catch. I missed that one. I wonder if they ever went back to back.
    Maybe in the clubhouse with needles, taking their "vitamins."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The amazing thing is that the Royals fans stood up and cheered every time he went to the plate and gave him a standing ovation when he was substituted for the pinch runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    The amazing thing is that the Royals fans stood up and cheered every time he went to the plate and gave him a standing ovation when he was substituted for the pinch runner.
    I think a lot of people are realizing a brillant career is coming to an end and fans want to show their appreciation. It is nice to see people can appreciate a player while rooting for their team.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?