Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Suspensions handed down at Dayton

Suspensions handed down at Dayton

Suspensions handed down at Dayton
    Manager, eight players disciplined for roles in Class A fracas
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- The bill came due for players involved last week in an ugly bench-clearing fracas between the Reds' Class A Dayton club and Peoria.

The Midwest League suspended Dragons manager Donnie Scott and eight of his players for three games each. An undisclosed fine was also levied.

Pitchers Henry Arias, Jeremy Horst, Jeff Jeffords, and Luis Montano were suspended along with catcher and 2007 first-round Draft pick Devin Mesoraco, infielder Kevyn Feiner, and outfielders Denis Phipps and Justin Reed.

On July 24 at Fifth-Third Field in Dayton, Ohio, a beanball incident sparked a heated argument between Scott and acting Peoria manager Carmelo Martinez. The benches cleared moments later and pandemonium ensued.

The scariest moment came when Peoria starting pitcher Julio Castillo threw a baseball toward the Dragons dugout and inadvertently hit a fan. He was arrested and charged with felony assault and has a court appearance pending.

Castillo received the most serious suspension, 60 games. Martinez, who was filling in for Ryne Sandberg, got 20 games. A total of seven Peoria players were suspended.

In other disciplinary news, Minor League pitcher Renny Amador of the Reds' Dominican Summer League team was suspended for 50 games for testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing drug.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Suspensions handed down at Dayton

60 games for the nutjob who hit the fan with a ball? Not enough, if you ask me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    60 games for the nutjob who hit the fan with a ball? Not enough, if you ask me.
    Hopefully he'll lose his visa so it won't matter.

If I were the Cubs, I'd just release him already. He's hardly a prospect, from what I can tell.

I guess the guy has a pending court date, but he hardly gets jail time for the offense. But if it affects his status with the INS, then so much the better.

He doesn't belong in the game.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

If they consider the baseball a weapon, it would be aggravated assault. That carries a pretty hefty prison term with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Root Down View Post
    If they consider the baseball a weapon, it would be aggravated assault. That carries a pretty hefty prison term with it.
    Unless he has already has a record, and I really doubt he does, pretty much every attorney in the country could get the charged bumped down.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Unless he has already has a record, and I really doubt he does, pretty much every attorney in the country could get the charged bumped down.
    And no doubt they will get it dropped to a misdemeanor. But I can't imagine the judge not coming down fairly hard on him given the circumstances and exposure it got. Most judges around here are usually tougher on out of towners coming in and assaulting a local. I would expect some jail time for sure and Montgomery County jail isn't a place I would want to spend any time whatsoever.

Wasn't that just in Columbus a few years back where a child died from being struck with a hockey puck at a game. I know it's a different set of circumstances but the outcome could have easily been the same.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If I were the Cubs, I'd just release him already. He's hardly a prospect, from what I can tell.
    I heard an interview with a Cubbie beat writer who made the statement; "I doubt he ever throws another pitch in the Cubs organization". (Guess one Zambrano is all they can tolerate)

Now if somebody could do something about their obnoxious fans............
    Last edited by gedred69; 08-02-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: additional comment

Turn Off Ads?