Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Masset should replace Homer in the rotation

Nick Masset should replace Homer in the rotation

Who's with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nick Masset should replace Homer in the rotation

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Who's with me?
    Aaron Harang should.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Aaron Harang should.
    Then Masset should replace Fogg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

A little early to tell. He had a good outing tonight, but so did Thompson against the Yankees and we know how that turned out.

I am all in favor of someone (anyone?) replacing Homer. In fact, I'd run him back to Louisville tonight. If there ever was a pitcher who wasn't ready, Homer is the guy. Besides, Harang will be back soon and we've only got room for one 5th starter and Fogg is not suitable as a bullpen guy. The solution was to trade Fogg, but apparently no one wanted him (and I understand).

Maybe Affeldt?

BTW, Dusty said tonight that they were "stretching out" Masset for that reason.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I wasn't that particularly impressed with Masset today, but basically anyone in the major league rotation is a better idea than Bailey right now.

Masset reminds me in a lot of ways to Todd Wellemeyer. He's got a big frame, good velocity on the fastball, used to have theoretical promise... but also has no breaking stuff, below average command. Heck even mechanically they seem familiar.

I don't like Wellemeyer and I never have, and I probably wont like Masset. But ya, he's as logical as any candidate to replace Bailey as any. Protect the young arms and let them develop. Long term Masset likely wont be anything other than a 6-7th type of pitcher.

Masset had better movement then I was expecting. I was very surprised of his stuff. He had all his pitches tonight though. I still like homer getting another start. Just not hitting spots.

The Bailey experiment needs to be over for this year, this was the Nationals, not a team with talent.
    Go Gators!

Who did Masset replace on the roster? I'm assuming it was Coffey.

(Hairston was activated to replace Griffey.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Who did Masset replace on the roster? I'm assuming it was Coffey.
    Yea, it was Coffey. I had been trying to figure out the same thing, everything I had found listed 26 people on the Reds roster but this has since appeared on espn.com's transactions:

Activated outfielder Jerry Hairston Jr. from 15-day disabled list; optioned pitcher Todd Coffey to Louisville of the International League (AAA).

Masset replaced Griffey and Hairston replaced Coffey.

I like Masset his stuff was down and moving, what more do you want...give the kid a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Then Masset should replace Fogg.
    I'm not real high on Masset, but I'd replace Bailey and Fogg with Harang and Masset. Hopefully Masset can be the swingman next season. If he can give the Reds what Wellemeyer has given the Cards (122.1 Innings at 4.13 ERA) that would be a great return for Griffey. Hopefully Bailey is sent down before his next turn with Masset taking over. Dusty said after the game "we're stretching him out." I think it will be another couple turns through the rotation before Harang is ready. By then, the team should have had time to test the waiver wire. I'd be surprised if Fogg isn't sent off in a waiver deal to make room.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not real high on Masset, but I'd replace Bailey and Fogg with Harang and Masset. Hopefully Masset can be the swingman next season. If he can give the Reds what Wellemeyer has given the Cards (122.1 Innings at 4.13 ERA) that would be a great return for Griffey. Hopefully Bailey is sent down before his next turn with Masset taking over. Dusty said after the game "we're stretching him out." I think it will be another couple turns through the rotation before Harang is ready. By then, the team should have had time to test the waiver wire. I'd be surprised if Fogg isn't sent off in a waiver deal to make room.

I agree. I think they'll give Homer another start, but on that day Masset will be rested to go several innings again.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Harang is pitching a rehab start on Monday, so he's not quite ready to come back yet....Bailey's turn would be Wednesday.

Maybe he doesn't make that start.

Turn Off Ads?