Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 280

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

  1. #121
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,652

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Sportscenter says that US gymnastics team are blaming olympic officials for distracting my new girlfriend before she went on and made those mistakes.
    Not the team...it's the coach is blaming the officials. Those girls haven't blamed anyone for their competition and have all pretty much said that mistakes happen and that China had a better day and deserved the gold. I really do not want to see anyone blaming the girls for the idiotic things the coach (aka, Martha) is saying to the media. :thumbdown
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #122
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    If Sacramone wouldn't have flubbed so bad the U.S. would have taken home gold. That's obvious and the reason excuses are being thrown around. She fell off the beam on her mount and then fell on her butt and later stepped out of bounds on her floor routine.

  4. #123
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,652

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    If Sacramone wouldn't have flubbed so bad the U.S. would have taken home gold. That's obvious and the reason excuses are being thrown around. She fell off the beam on her mount and then fell on her butt and later stepped out of bounds on her floor routine.
    That is NOT the case at all. :thumbdown China started off with nearly a two point lead in the difficulty amounts with their start values, so even if the US and China had both performed perfectly, the US may not have won due to their start values being lower than the Chinese team's. Even if you add back the points from the USA's mistakes on FX and beam, the US was still in silver medal position. The girls definitely had a great chance to win last night but it didn't happen for them and I wish people would stop acting like silver is some sort of disease. It's still an Olympic medal and I'm sure any of those other teams would love to have it. The girls (Alicia aside who still seemed pretty stunned by what had happened but was seen smiling in pictures later) were smiling and happy to receive their medals last night. They won a silver medal in the Olympics and should be very proud of themselves.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

  5. #124
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,983

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Not the team...it's the coach is blaming the officials. Those girls haven't blamed anyone for their competition and have all pretty much said that mistakes happen and that China had a better day and deserved the gold. I really do not want to see anyone blaming the girls for the idiotic things the coach (aka, Martha) is saying to the media. :thumbdown

    In my mind the US won the Gold. Even with their mistakes. There is plenty of evidence that some of the Chinese team were and are not of the required age. That's cheating and the Olympic officials should have a full investigation.

    http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...832312,00.html
    Last edited by RBA; 08-13-2008 at 07:27 PM.

  6. #125
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,519

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Holy cow....

    Sorry to change the subject, but has anybody seen the video of the Hungarian weightlifter who mangled his elbow lifting 115 kilos?

    Let's just say it has 'Theismanesque' qualities.
    If anyone wants to see it here it is but this is not for the squeamish.


    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=33a_1218642189&p=1

  7. #126
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,519

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    In my mind the US won the Gold. Even with their mistakes. There is plenty of evidence that some of the Chinese team were and are not of the required age. That's cheating and the Olympic officials should have a full investigation.

    http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...832312,00.html
    There is no way that team is all 16. At least a few of them look 14 or younger.

  8. #127
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,244

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    In my mind the US won the Gold. Even with their mistakes. There is plenty of evidence that some of the Chinese team were and are not of the required age. That's cheating and the Olympic officials should have a full investigation.

    http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...832312,00.html
    I wouldn't doubt it. There's talk about how they had more difficult routines, but sometimes I wonder if the preference for young girls comes not from any inherent physical advantage that they have, but rather the sport's conventional preference for young girls. Kind of circular thinking, but it seems like ever since Olga Korbut and Nadia Comenici arrived on the scene, gymnastics organizations sought younger and younger girls to be the next Olga or Nadia. Yet, it seems there are still a number of women gymnast still able to compete into their 20s and this year they've got a woman in her 30s for the German team. And consider that female acrobats exhibit incredible flexibility well into their 50s and 60s, it makes me wonder if flexibility is really an issue. Could it be that women gymnasts lose a lot of their flexibility from the injuries they suffer as young girls trying to compete at a high level?

    That being said, I don't think they'll solve the age problem in women's gymnastics until they make fundamental changes to the sport that favor women over girls. In watching these Olympics, I've noticed the emphasis is on bendy flips and tricks with little focus on strength or grace. In fact, the parallel bars seem to favor smaller girls because they're so close together. The balance beam seems to put women with larger feet at a disadvantage as well.

    What's the solution? I'm no expert, but I have a few ideas. Well, for one, they could do things like move the parallel bars farther apart to favor taller women. They could also change events to include some of the apparatuses used by the men (rings or parallel bars) that require more upper body strength. I think such changes would probably be more effective than an age requirement.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  9. #128
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Not the team...it's the coach is blaming the officials. Those girls haven't blamed anyone for their competition and have all pretty much said that mistakes happen and that China had a better day and deserved the gold. I really do not want to see anyone blaming the girls for the idiotic things the coach (aka, Martha) is saying to the media. :thumbdown
    Yeah same thing basically, just caught a glimpse of it. I don't think it is idiotic to make that statement, if true.

  10. #129
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,244

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    I was watching boxing today and I was wondering, how long until they add MMA as an olympic sport?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  11. #130
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I was watching boxing today and I was wondering, how long until they add MMA as an olympic sport?
    I thought it was supposed to happen, on a trial basis, in these games? It's only a matter of time -- if they're going to add BMX, they simply have to add MMA, which is more of a sport by any reasonable measurement.

    Oh yeah, and BTW -- the Pommel Horse is probably the stupidest event ever.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  12. #131
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,382

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

    Oh yeah, and BTW -- the Pommel Horse is probably the stupidest event ever.
    What makes you say that? I always thought it was kind of an amazing event.
    Especially after I learned that it's "Pommel" and not "Pummel".
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  13. #132
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    116

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Do you think the new scoring is more confusing or do you care?

  14. #133
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by michst View Post
    Do you think the new scoring is more confusing or do you care?
    It makes more sense because the gymnasts do routines of different difficulty. The athletes should be rewarded for doing more challenging routines.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  15. #134
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  16. #135
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,856

    Re: Beijing Olympics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I thought it was supposed to happen, on a trial basis, in these games? It's only a matter of time -- if they're going to add BMX, they simply have to add MMA, which is more of a sport by any reasonable measurement.

    Oh yeah, and BTW -- the Pommel Horse is probably the stupidest event ever.
    I am going to assume you have never truly ridden BMX then. Not that I think either of them is a sport, but BMX racing is much more of a sport than MMA.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25