Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

Bolt strikes again. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But setting World Records in track is much more difficult than in swimming. Sure, Phelps set seven records. But there isn't a single record on the books that was set before 2001, and over half of the WR's were set in this Olympics. But, there have been 5 WR's set in track so far in Beijing: Women's Pole Vault, Women's Steeplechase, and Bolt's three records, the 100, 200, and 4x100. Unreal.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Race walking. I think ping pong was the best thing I'd seen so far, but that has certainly been replaced.
    Someone on CBC TV (wish I could remember who) described race walking as looking like a sport invented by Monty Python. That cracked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Someone on CBC TV (wish I could remember who) described race walking as looking like a sport invented by Monty Python. That cracked me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16iNk1hLJt4
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

<3 Nastia Liukin
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

South Korea beats Cuba for the gold in baseball despite Fidel's cousin behind home plate trying to give the game to the Cubans.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Water Polo with the early 3-2 lead against Serbia.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

8-5 lead with 4 minutes left. US Water Polo can be in the gold medal game with a win here. And I seem to be the only person who cares.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

I'm watching. 9-5 now with 2.5 left.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It looks like a win. 10-5 with a minute and a half left.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    8-5 lead with 4 minutes left. US Water Polo can be in the gold medal game with a win here. And I seem to be the only person who cares.
    Correct. While I appreciate how hard it is, I have the same feeling about Water Polo, Lacrosse, and Team Handball. There is just something in the mechanics of the sport that do not seem right. The midfield play in both sports is nonexistent, and it often looks like a bad college basketball game where the teams just pass the ball around the three point line for a long time and are afraid to move inside.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

You had a US team that wasn't expected to do anything and they're going to play for the gold. That is a story that I would expect to hear more about, but it seems that nobody is talking much about it. There's so much talk about basketball, but they were expected to do well. This is a real underdog story happening right now but because it's not in one of the high profile sports it's taking a back seat.

The announcer was overplaying it just a bit though. My recap of the last 5 minutes.
    (Apologies for the Caps)
    "the US team came into this TOURNAMENT RANKED 9TH IN THE WORLD. THEY ARE ABOUT TO UPSET SERBIA WHO WAS RANKED 4TH."

"THE US HASN'T MEDALED IN WATER POLO IN 20 YEARS"

"THE US HAS HAD 3 COACHES IN 4 YEARS"

"the US team came into this TOURNAMENT RANKED 9TH IN THE WORLD. THEY ARE ABOUT TO UPSET SERBIA WHO WAS RANKED 4TH."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

High five!

wrong thread, nm!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The announcer was overplaying it just a bit though. My recap of the last 5 minutes.
    (Apologies for the Caps)

Bad announcing aside, that announcer seems to be the only one playing it up at all. He was a bit over the top, but it's still been a heck of a run by this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    South Korea beats Cuba for the gold in baseball despite Fidel's cousin behind home plate trying to give the game to the Cubans.
    That's pretty shocking. I expected either Cuba or Japan to win the Gold.

Turn Off Ads?