Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

Phelph's might be the best and most dominant athlete i have ever seen in any sport. I tip my hat to the man...

2. Turn Off Ads?

USA Men's Sabre team (7th seed) beat Hungary (2nd seed)

Usain Bolt is a freak!! He's 6'5" and won the 100m sprint shattering the WR with a 9.68. Oh and he let up with about 20m to go. The guy made it look too easy.

I think with all Michael Phelps has accomplished he deserves this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm no swimming expert but Michael Phelps can swim a little.

I hope he comes back in 4 years.
    Go Gators!

in order...

Michael Phelps
    Chuck Norris
    Jim Coombs
    Chris Denorfia

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

After reading about Michael Phelps' diet that my problem isn't so much that I eat too much but rather that I swim too little.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'll be impressed when he wins one of these things blindfolded!

Oh, he swam a race with his goggles full of water? I guess that's kind of impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    After reading about Michael Phelps' diet that my problem isn't so much that I eat too much but rather that I swim too little.
    Just need to swim 8 hours a day and you can live at McDonalds
    Go Gators!

You simply can not make this stuff up.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/shooting/...+qiu+jian+wins

BEIJING (AP) - For the second straight Olympics, Matt Emmons lost a gold medal with a stunning mistake on the final shot.

The American was in front Sunday in the 50-meter 3-position rifle and needed to come only somewhere close to the center of the target. But his gun went off accidentally on his final attempt, and he made just 4.4 of a possible 10.9 points. China's QIU Jian ended with the gold.

Four years ago, Emmons had a big lead in this same event, then shot at the wrong target on his final attempt and ended with no medal at all.

He dropped to fourth this time. Yuriy SUKHORUKOV of Ukraine won the silver and Rajmond Debevec took the bronze.

A score of less than 8.0 is considered unusually bad in this event. As it turned out, Emmons would have needed only a 6.7 on the last shot to win. He said his gun fired as he was lowering it to focus on the middle of the target.

"I got on the trigger a little too hard. I didn't feel my trigger shaking but I guess it was," Emmons said. "It just hit the trigger, the gun went off and I was like, 'Uh, that's not going to be good.'"

Emmons was consoled by his wife, Katerina Emmons of the Czech Republic. The two met in Athens four years ago, when she went to offer support after his gaffe there.

http://images.beijing2008.cn/20080412/Img214303492.jpg

"He's definitely the best standing shooter out there," she said Sunday. "If he can still end up fourth with a 4.4 on the last shot, that's a hell of a shooter."

Emmons won the gold medal in prone rifle in 2004 and the silver in that event in Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I'll be impressed when he wins one of these things blindfolded!

Oh, he swam a race with his goggles full of water? I guess that's kind of impressive...
    When Spitz won his seven gold, no one wore goggles. I remember swimming competitively back in the seventies- my eyes were always red.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Amazing. 8 gold medals for Phelps. Will probably never be duplicated.
    Unless he does it in London.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    When Spitz won his seven gold, no one wore goggles. I remember swimming competitively back in the seventies- my eyes were always red.
    Spitz also did it with a full head of hair and a mustache, didn't he?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Spitz also did it with a full head of hair and a mustache, didn't he?
    But everyone else did (imagine the drag those sideburns create), and no one wore goggles, IIRC.

I have been absolutely riveted by the swimming this year, thanks to Phelps and the rest of the team's performances. It's always been my favorite sport, but this takes me back to the first Olympics I really remember, the 1972 games. The effect on me was dramatic; I went from a seven year old who liked swim team to a seven year old who was going to compete in the Olympics. Of course, it didn't quite work out that way, but I am just as jazzed about swimming now as I was as a kid way back then.
    In fact, I'm going to the IU pool today to challenge anyone over 40 to a fifty meter freestyle sprint!

Turn Off Ads?